• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Stapel

International Regular
Agreed, but as Mr P pointed out, Adelaide 2006, etc...

I've been English for too long to set any stall by chicken counting.
I think that had more to do with Shane Warne being Shane Warne, than English cricketers being English.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia need 2-3 wickets in the first 10 or so overs tomorrow to make something out of this. So yeah, it's not exactly a lost cause just yet, but it's gonna take something spectacular from the bowlers and a tad silly from the English batsmen.

Stapel

International Regular
They did play it pretty badly though. They were scoring at a continental drift pace.
Maybe....
My point is that Australia, 4 years ago, had a side that could pull off a stunning win from a dire position. This side simply does not have that quality.

Spark

Global Moderator
We'll see. I'm 99.9% sure that you're correct, but we'll see in 20 hours or so.

Stranger things have happened then, say, 9 wickets falling in 40 overs for about 120 runs and then 200 runs being chased in 50 overs.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The uber-depressing addition to this is that we'll be bowling in Adelaide with probably the same attack (Siddle cementing his place, Johnson being undroppable etc.) on an even slower, flatter deck that doesn't have any early zip.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah seeing how hard it was to shake even Hauritz, I see no hope in Johnson being dropped ever. It's quite probable that he has lost us more games now than he has won for us.

Spark

Global Moderator
How hard it was to shake Hauritz? He went from "he's the best spinner in the country, is an important member of our test side" etc. etc. to dropped in two tests.

Ruckus

International Captain
How hard it was to shake Hauritz? He went from "he's the best spinner in the country, is an important member of our test side" etc. etc. to dropped in two tests.
He was still in the team for longer than he should have been.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Had to laugh when I read some Aussie journalist said that Day 3 might have decided the Ashes and England are a bowler down because Hussey and Haddin played Swann well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Selectors generally seem far more inclined to pull the trigger when bowlers are concerned I reckon. Haurtiz and Bollinger both barely got a chance of a last cigarette before before being lined up but North and Hussey have had seemingly endless stays of execution.

Wouldn't be that suprised to see Johnson out, myself. Does look genuinely woeful and hasn't bagged his traditional logic-defying wickets so far.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If Johnson keeps this crap up for another two Tests, we're screwed, plain and simple.

And one feels it'll take him more Tests than Hauritz to lose his place.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Haven't been well for the last few days, so haven't been able to follow the thread or the game that closely, though just looking at where the game stands as an Aussie fan I'm pretty disappointed with the way things are atm.
To start with, unlike what many have been saying don't think this Gabba pitch is as good as it usually is its probably underprepared because of the weather, you certainly don't expect good a test pitch to get better to bat on as the days progress.
Still credit to the English batsmen, their application was top notch considering the kind of pressure they were under but they hardly put a foot wrong today, but its also gotta be said that the Australian bowling & tactics were pretty disappointing through the day.
Ponting wanted Doherty in the side but its then baffling to see why he can't then back his spinner in 2nd innings of the test with aggressive fields. Its true that there wasn't much in the pitch for the bowlers but the Aussie bowlers just didn't have any plans or discipline to trouble the batsmen.
Ponting is my favourite player by some distance and I don't really enjoy criticising him, but time has come where he lifts the standard of his captaincy, I mean some of the fields he had in place despite having a such a healthy lead were utterly ridiculous.
Some are saying that all results are still a possibility, but for me draw is the odds on favourite now and there is also an outside chance of an English win, simply becuase Clarke, Ponting and North are just walking wickets atm and if England have a decent crack at the Aussies then we certainly could be under the cosh!!

Blaze 18

Banned
But is it not more logical ? A batsman who scores runs in a match will take that confidence into the next match, which increases the likehihood of him doing well. Cricket is as much about confidence as it is about skill.

If you watched Gautham Gambhir in the recent test series against New Zealand, then you would know what runs under the belt can do to a player. He was crap in the first test, but he was a completely different player in the third test - after he got some runs in the second one.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing regarding Cook.When you consider his age (26 on christmas day) and the fact he has already got 14 test tons he is going to smash all England batting records to bits by the end of his career as long as he doesn't get a serious injury.

Most test tons for an Englishman 22 - Boycott,Cowdrey and Hammond.
Most test runs 8900 - Gooch, Cook has 4563
Most test caps 133 Alec Stewart - That will go too as Cook already has 61 appearances.

I know these records aren't anywhere near as good as what the likes of Ponting,Tendulkar and Kallis are setting for their nations but even so he is going to raise the bar for England.Just needs to get that average closer to 50 than 40 and he will be regarded as a very good player for England.