• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That aside, he's been arse. North has a ton two Tests back, should he stay on that basis?

Too many of the Aussie team are crap for long periods but then save themselves with a big knock/bowling performance when the press starts asking questions. They'd win more series' if some of the runs they score or wickets they take to save them from the noose were scored/taken when it mattered.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
We can't carry Johnson for yet another Ashes series. We have a number of bowling options at home so there's no need to continue with the hopeless

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That aside, he's been arse. North has a ton two Tests back, should he stay on that basis?

Too many of the Aussie team are crap for long periods but then save themselves with a big knock/bowling performance when the press starts asking questions. They'd win more series' if some of the runs they score or wickets they take to save them from the noose were scored/taken when it mattered.
Khawaja failed again today :(

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah. He's consistently failed ever since he started seriously being spoken of as an Ashes chance after that double hundred he hit, which is a shame. Hughes threw away a start too.
About time the poms had the chance to make fun of an australian Ramprakash.:p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I recognise that I am generally tougher on bowlers that I see myself in (ie full off bluster, run in hard, bowl quick but lack guile and craft eg Ntini and Johnson) but I see why people are frustrated with Johnson. He seems a luxury player that illustrates Australias decline.

Previously Australia were at teams day in and day out, were world #1 by a mile and crushed teams with their strong will and confidence.

Im not saying that Johnson is a bad bowler but he is very unAustralian in his lack of refined skills and his inconsistency. I think he would be a solid, if not excellent, addition for most other teams. He just isnt what I, from 20 yrs of watching cricket, expect from an Aussie cricketer (the same opinons I hold/held on Watson and Symonds.)

And I hate to say it, he never looks (whenever I watch him) to be as quick as people make out.

Some thoughts over the years of mine on here.

Goughy said:
The results may be similar and Johnson may bowl wicket balls but I find his action jerky and inconsistent and Id struggle to trust him. He is a good 3rd seamer but he isnt a guy Id want leading an attack. TBH, if that is his role (provide batting depth, be the 3-4th seamer and bowl a few jaffas an innings) then he does it pretty well. I guess it depends what you want from him
Mitchell Johnson: Nice to watch and certainly capable of rushing the batsman. I think we are still waiting to see whether the predictions about him were accurate and whether he can be as good as people said he could. From my own point of view, Ive only seen him a few times and each time Ive thought his pace was over-hyped and he didnt hit the speeds I was expecting.
He has a great record so he is doing something right but I think as an opponent that you always believe that you have a chance and that he could be there for the taking.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a fantastic day by England,should bat all day tomorrow too now and wear out the bowlers ahead of next weeks test.Grind their noses into the dirt when we have the chance and leave some mental scars for later in the series.

Bowling looked very popgun all day,an ordinary attack if you ask me.

Cook was superb,Captain Fantastic was immense leading from the front and i see no reason why Trott shouldn't get a big one tomorrow against this lot.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Ramprakash was a more talented player than Khawaja from what I've seen anyway.

I'd expect the Australian to have more international success though of course.