Cricket Player Manager
Page 21 of 405 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I'm really suprised Hughes isn't in the squad because I thought Katich was one of their main concerns. If he is injured, or his injury becomes exacerbated and he can't play, I wonder who is the replacement opener?
    Well, Khawaja's a natural opener. Hussey's opened a lot too.
    I'm guessing they're just confident in Katich though.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

We know the selectors they already have their 11 and only injury will change that so they definitely aren't undecided on their 11, just uncertain on the injury front. Either way I don't mind the 17 man squad, should force a rethink on CA forcing the selectors to name a squad 10 days out from the Ashes test and before a full set of Shield matches and an Aus A match. It makes no logical sense to pick before the Aus A match, the whole point of that match is to give the next in line a chance to show what they can do.

On the selections, only shock omission is Hughes who did well in his return to Shield cricket last season and really hasn't done anything to be dropped out of the squad. The one thing that shows how indecisive the selectors are is the selection of Doherty. If he was the next in line spinner or 3rd depending on what they see Smith then he should have been picked for Aus A. This clearly shows how much influence ODI performances have on Test selection apart from White who seems to be in the never again basket.

International Regular
    Don't feel like watching this series anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    The Australian selectors don't have to stick to the squad selected. If Katich couldn't play they would just call in Hughes. This isn't like the World Cup, Australia can select 50 players for the squad if they really wanted too.
    If thats the case, I don't understand then, what is the point of even naming a squad?

School Boy/Girl Captain DragonPunk's Avatar
    I like the fact, they've made this round of shield and the A game important because if say Khawaja or Ferguson score runs vs the English attck, they might force their way in. I'm hoping so, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well, Khawaja's a natural opener. Hussey's opened a lot too.
    I'm guessing they're just confident in Katich though.
    Hmmm, but how long has it been since Khawaja opened? I don't like the idea of Hussey opening either, given the form he is in. Could trigger a collapse right from the onset.

International Regular
    If thats the case, I don't understand then, what is the point of even naming a squad?
    If they tour, those players would fly away.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPunk View Post
    I like the fact, they've made this round of shield and the A game important because if say Khawaja or Ferguson score runs vs the English attck, they might force their way in. I'm hoping so, anyway.
    Wishful thinking probably. Barring injury I can only see Hauritz spot being up for grabs according to the selectors logic.

School Boy/Girl Captain DragonPunk's Avatar
    Probably but I can dream that we have competent selectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    If they tour, those players would fly away.
    Yeah I know that, but I mean whats the point of selecting a larger sized 17 man squad (which will inevitably be trimmed down to 12 or so)? If they can simply bring in new players to the squad at will, it seems a bit redundant... If their reasoning is, they want to use a few FC matches to help them decide on their final 12 or whatever I find that pretty ridiculous. No final selections should be made on the basis of a couple of shield games etc.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    So they pick O'Keefe, averaging 25, for the Aus A game and then go Doherty, averaging 48 for the squad. Consistency ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

I'm really suprised Hughes isn't in the squad because I thought Katich was one of their main concerns. If he is injured, or his injury becomes exacerbated and he can't play, I wonder who is the replacement opener?
    Yeah, if either Watto or Katich go down on the morning of the test then all we are looking for is a makeshift arrangement, which sucks given the fact Hughes has hardly done anything wrong and for those who say Hughes isn't scoring enough runs for NSW, then they gotta take into consideration that he has hardly played many games for them in recent times, I believe the non-selection of Hughes has a definite hangover of the last Ashes series.
    Doherty's name being even considered is absolute nonsense and goes to show that picking a spinner has become a bit of joke in Australia, also starting to wonder why O'Keffe is in the Aussie A sqaud!!
    All in all picking a 17 man initial squad just shows that these selectors have no clue as to whom to pick for the 1st test, and as an Oz fan such lack of clarity regarding the team is a big concerning just before such a big series.

Also.... I would be shattered if I was Ronny McDonald. If despite performing as well as he did if he can't even break into such a huge squad then its safe to say his test future looks to be pretty much over which is just plain sad, especially when you look at some of the other guys that have been picked.

I don't usually buy into the NSW thing but if Mcdonald played for NSW and scored 2 hundred in a match against Victoria before the ashes i'd be expecting more people calling for his inclusion....

Your say on Australia's Ashes squad | Fox Sports

these people make the selectors they're rubbishing look perfectly normal. Hodge? He's retired...Doherty/Smith as the spinner? Surely even the selectors won't put Doherty at least in there ahead of Hauritz (think his naming in the squad, is more a ceremonial thing than anything - no matter how dumb it seems). Dropping Johnson (after what, 4 poor tests away from home?) for a half-fit Harris? So Dumb

Would really like to see if no changes are made though, Hussey & Clarke swap back to 4 & 5 respectively. Clarkes best position is at 5 imo, and I reckon it's a better chance of stopping a "collapse" not having Huss & North following each other out to the crease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Thread Information