• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
I think he was mocking sifter for only changing half of the post tbf.
Oh, I realised that, but I thought he was making a joke about how it implied that Marcus North would outscore all the batsmen... including himself.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Will be fascinating to see if Australia have the bottle to make the changes the fans seem to want to the batting order.Not too fussed either way,either you have under the pump oldtimers struggling for form under pressure or new kids expected to produce the goods right away.Win win for England really.

Mate, as an Aussie, you've completely nailed it in one. Our selectors have absolutely no imagination and we've slid down a slippery slope.

Grimly held onto Hussey & North. Watson & Clarke should be batting at #3 and #4. We should have kept playing Phil Hughes (still averages 51 in Tests and nearly 57 in FC). Ponting should have dropped down to #6 as part of sucession planning. Haddin shouldn't walk back into the side.

Bottom line, if we don't win back the Ashes, based firstly on age, secondly on ability:
Hussey gone. In decline over the past few years.
Ponting gone. Ditto.
Haddin gone. Keeping is a liability. Been dismissed 40 times in Tests, scored >50 seven times.
North going, going. Unreliable.
Katich going, going. Maybe 18 months left in him as long as his form is good.
Clarke on notice.

Then you ask, who is the long-term captain of Australia?

If it isn't Clarke, Cameron White from Victoria has the best leadership pedigree, leading the Vics since he was 20, in 2003/04, with pretty good success:
FC Winners: 03/04, 08/09, 09/10
FC Runners Up: 05/06, 07/08
1-day Domestic: got the Vics to the last 4 finals (we choked each time)

But we really need to bottom out and play the kids.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just no lol.

Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Watson
Haddin

Are all safe and so they should be (Paine is close though) - And batting where they are.

We'll end up like the West Indies with your line of thinking. Just playing inexperienced kids in the hope they click.

The only ones who deserve the kick are North and Hussey.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just no lol.

Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Watson
Haddin

Are all safe and so they should be (Paine is close though) - And batting where they are.

We'll end up like the West Indies with your line of thinking. Just playing inexperienced kids in the hope they click.

He's saying after the Ashes if we lose.

Spark

Global Moderator
Our bowling attack being as it is with replacements such as Sids and Harris in the wing means that a stable middle order is really our one impediment to good success. Domination, no, but much more success, quite probably.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
England made the harsh call on Thorpe in 05, he was a shoe in I thought for the Ashes, excellent record against australia, yet they retained Bell and debuted KP, what a good move in hindsight. I have such a strong feeling- like a lot of Aussies- that it could be so bad for us this series, and it all couldve been avoided months and months ago. But we'll see I gues, and hope for the bloody best.

Adamski

Cricket Spectator
I am a pom living in qld so should be interesting as usual, especially as I'm going to the Gabba for Day 4 with my Aus brother-in-law.:unsure:

Really glad Harmison won't be bowling the first ball! I remember watching the first over and thinking, right, that's it, we're screwed.

Crucial questions for me - are the Aussie batters truly on the wane? Can England prosper with a 4 man attack?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Welcome mate.

If you're a Pom living in Queensland, how haven't you melted yet?

Adamski

Cricket Spectator
Thanks Burgey. The wonders of AC and swimming pools have kept me alive. Raining hard as I write tho. Hope 'tis just a bit cloudy for Jimmy to do his work come Bris.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just no lol.

Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Watson
Haddin

While I wouldn't have Ponting in the same boat as North and Hussey, I don't think his position should be regarded as safe yet.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England made the harsh call on Thorpe in 05, he was a shoe in I thought for the Ashes, excellent record against australia, yet they retained Bell and debuted KP, what a good move in hindsight. I have such a strong feeling- like a lot of Aussies- that it could be so bad for us this series, and it all couldve been avoided months and months ago. But we'll see I gues, and hope for the bloody best.
Ye i still see it as an unncessary risk move ATT & it was terrible way to end Thorpe carrer. Bell defiantely had to start the Ashes ATT, given he certainly was looking the real deal in the test he had played on the back of his FC form. But KP could have waited IMO.

Since as the series progressed Bell got exposed technically & thus they could have dropped him in the middle & KP could have made his debut in the 3rd test for eg.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His form over the past 3 years. While he hasn't been shocking the way Hussey has, he's developed a vulnerability when he passes 50 that he simply didn't have 5 years ago. Has passed 50 as many times as Tendulkar in the last 2 years, but only has 2 centuries to his name, averaging just 42. If he has a poor series with the bat and Australia don't regain the Ashes, his position would be very hard to justify.

TumTum

Banned
His form over the past 3 years. While he hasn't been shocking the way Hussey has, he's developed a vulnerability when he passes 50 that he simply didn't have 5 years ago. Has passed 50 as many times as Tendulkar in the last 2 years, but only has 2 centuries to his name, averaging just 42. If he has a poor series with the bat and Australia don't regain the Ashes, his position would be very hard to justify.
Meh I would say luck has a lot to do with it. Keeps on finding the fielders in the last 2 years even if he is batting well.