• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Didn't the selectors public back North, Hussey and Hauritz back in India?

So are they going back on themselves, or are they half-heartedly appeasing the fans?

Either way, doesn't send a great message.
The squads bigger because its announced too early. & its only Haurtiz there messing with, Khawaja and Ferguson are battling to be potential Clarke/Katich Back up. Hauritz doesn't seem like competition is going to make him a better performer.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
effed if I know, It just makes it official that Ferguson and Khawaja are in a battle for runs, instead of unofficial. its daft if you ask me.
Must admit can't see either of them starting the series but would not be at all surprised if both came in at some stage as i can't see North and Hussey lasting it as their form is so erratic.

Doherty is the one that surprised me as his record is awful,must really be a massive problem with spin in Australia if he is in the selectors minds.

howardj

International Coach
Your say on Australia's Ashes squad | Fox Sports

:laugh: these people make the selectors they're rubbishing look perfectly normal. Hodge? He's retired...Doherty/Smith as the spinner? Surely even the selectors won't put Doherty at least in there ahead of Hauritz (think his naming in the squad, is more a ceremonial thing than anything - no matter how dumb it seems). Dropping Johnson (after what, 4 poor tests away from home?) for a half-fit Harris? So Dumb

Yep, some of the nuffies out there in the general public are frightening. Why would they even bother contributing a comment about which they evidently know nothing, let alone pay their hard earned to watch a match.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yep, some of the nuffies out there in the general public are frightening. Why would they even bother contributing a comment about which they evidently know nothing, let alone pay their hard earned to watch a match.
This is why I left 606.

Woodster

International Captain
Seems quite bizarre naming a 17-man squad ten days before the start of a home Test. With the injury concerns and seemingly still a battle for a place or two you can understand if they had to name a squad to name quite a lengthy one, but there isn't any need to name the sqaud now.

The players that have been named should already be aware they are on the verge of the Test XI so would need no further motivation going into the 'A' team game or the next round of Shield matches anyway. Keep the squad private, which keeps your options open further with regards to selecting outside it if absolutely necessary.

Woodster

International Captain
There also seems to be plenty of debate regarding Callum Ferguson, and I think his situation is very similar to James Hildreth who plays at Somerset. Hildreth has always been earmarked as a player of great potential and one for the future England side, yet despite having the batters paradise that is Taunton as his home ground, his numbers have never stacked up. There's no great clamour to have him included right now as we have seven decent batsmen in the squad which most English fans are more than happy with.

But Hildreth is now 26, and would no longer force his way into the Test side based on potential and needs to back that up with serious results right now, and sheer weight of runs, which he produced in the domestic 2010 season with a fantastic year. In 2009 his record was decent, but he scored the majority of his runs at Taunton and needed to prove he can score runs away from home too.

He is now in the development side and will support the full Test side for the first few Tests. The point is, at 26 he really needs to produce big runs, consistenly, you'd think the time for promise has passed, but of course there's always exceptions.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets face it if this was the other way round and England had named 17 before the 1st test at home the likes of Marsh and Lillee would choke on their tinnies.

Have to say this is possibly the strangest thing i have seen before a test series,particularly an ashes one.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The weird thing is that they simply haven't named a squad. They're reducing it to a proper 12/13-man outfit next week, so this is just "Some players we're considering". What was the point?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Are we still asking that question?

Because of the launch event, they had to name the squad today. The squad is large because there are a number of spots in contention.