• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In general he might be a bit out of touch, but getting pinged by short balls is nothing new for him.
EDIT: Now he gets out trying to pull a SHORT ball!! What a surprise!!
He just scored a hundred...don't think being out of touch is the main reason myself.

Edit: North looking, as someone above mentioned, miles better than Clarke from the start. Doesn't say much for the latter.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Entirely possible that he felt perfectly fine going into the match but a day in the field made it feel stiff when he woke up this morning.
Well even yesterday he didn't look all that sharp in the field.

I don't think it's mostly back though. It's a lack of match practice. Your back doesn't influence your eye.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Entirely possible that he felt perfectly fine going into the match but a day in the field made it feel stiff when he woke up this morning.
It's the old football maxim though, isn't it? If you feel fine, give it another week, etc.

He clearly wasn't fine only a few days out from the match. That's enough doubt to not pick him, tbh.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

I don't think it's mostly back though. It's a lack of match practice. Your back doesn't influence your eye.
Slows your feet though. Especially if you're thinking about it, and not worrying about the ball. Just another distraction that you don't need at this level.

chalky

International Debutant
Think he went off the field during the England innings a couple of times we don't know for certain but I don't think his back has been OK from day 1.

morgieb

Clarke should never had played in a million years. What a waste. Feel as if his career's gonna end up Atherton style.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Influences how you get into position though. I don't see how he's had a lack of match practice.

pup11

International Coach
Have never seen him look this bad myself.
Ishant Sharma in India, Broad in the ODI series in England are the recent occasions I can remember when he was owned by the short ball.
Anyways.. would be something if the two guys everyone wanted to see dropped end up bailing Australia out of trouble here.
EDIT: Meh.....

Last edited:

Burgey

That was inevitable.Good to see Finn getting in on the action straight away again.Lad is a proper find.

Clarke has to be dropped unless his back gets better quickly.

Pressure on again now with North in.
Dropped?

No, he has to have a proper fitness test, and if he fails it he doesn't play.

He doesn't need to be dropped. Dropping implies a non-injury related relegation tbf.

/pedantic.

Edit: North in <10 shocker.

Spark

Global Moderator
Slows your feet though. Especially if you're thinking about it, and not worrying about the ball. Just another distraction that you don't need at this level.
Yeah true. But I'm certain he's underworked.

As I said, he needs a net session.

North gone.

@pup: It wasn't the short ball he looked bad against here. It was everything. Full balls, short balls, the lot.

If he doesn't look better in the second innings - not necessarily scoring many more runs, though we'll need them at this rate - but better in terms of touch, someone has a lot to answer for. Undercooking one of your key players is a cardinal sin.

Last edited: