Cricket Player Manager
Page 163 of 405 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 6067
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

I love Ashes Test cricket. The 'Gabba Test is really awesome. I was at the last Ashes Test at the 'Gabba and was surprised at the comfort and facilities there. A great atmosphere as well.

Today had everything. Ponting with his back to the wall. Strauss wanting to take the initiative and batting first. Petersen entertaining with great shots and bravado. Debutant Doherty dropping a catch, only to be consoled quickly by his Captain, and then picking up his first two Test wickets. Bell playing some great shots. Watson showing his all round skills. Also, Hilfenhaus - not fantastic but making the initial breakthrough. Only Johnson missed out. Perhaps he can make up for his lack of wickets with runs.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Doherty looked poor imo. Even Marcus North gives the ball more flight.

Not sure why you'd drop Hauritz only to pick Doherty. Isn't O'Keefe meant to be pretty decent and has a few wickets to his name?

Siddle was awesome to watch today, really awesome. The Prior wicket was my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Doherty looked poor imo. Even Marcus North gives the ball more flight.

Not sure why you'd drop Hauritz only to pick Doherty. Isn't O'Keefe meant to be pretty decent and has a few wickets to his name?

Siddle was awesome to watch today, really awesome. The Prior wicket was my favourite.

Agree totally. I actually think North could have done exactly what Doherty did today (with maybe a few more runs at most).

Which as i stated earlier, scares the living **** out of me.

International Regular WindieWeathers's Avatar
    I have to be honest i've always felt Siddle was average!!..but the boy came up with the goods today, as soon as Strauss went early that seemed to set the tone for England!!..for me they never really looked comfortable, they certainly got the bowlers to get back into this game though!!.. Swanny isn't the number two bowler in the world for nothing, great start to the Ashes though and long may it continue.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Watson is a pretty decent 5th bowler to be fair, but no test batsmen who are set (Trott) should ever get out to a straight 80MPH ball.

Doherty did little to impress me, his wickets will never occur again (caught at deep cover and bowling a 10 reverse sweeping) and whilst he bowled some accurate darts i personally prefer spinners who can attack and win games. I think Hauritz is better to be honest.
    Lol.. He's bowled 15 overs at test level. Glad you didn't see Warne's debut.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    What a start to the Ashes, surely one of the best opening days to start the series. As one of the few members of this forum who backed the selection of Siddle over Bollinger, I am feeling rather proud of my fellow Victorian.

Have we seen such a hostile display by an Australian bowler in Australia since Johnson in Perth? I think this gives the selectors some breathing room, I cannot imagine Bollinger doing what Siddle did today.

I hope Hilfenhaus starts to find more touch, I wasn't able to watch the entire innings, but his start to the Australian season has been rather subdued. I have seen quite a bit of his bowling for Tasmania, and he hasn't been very threatening.

God...I just watched the Sky Sports highlights of the match - Ian Botham couldn't have made that hattrick any less exciting.

He was quietly dying inside

Bit harsh on Doherty after the day from some folks. First day on a slow pitch, he did his job.
    Last edited by Spark; 25-11-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    England didn't bat that well against an Aussie attack which was solid overall (Siddle world-class, obv) but I think we'll know more once we see how England does tomorrow. This Aussie just as collapsy, a couple of early wickets and it'll all be on again.

Worrying for England that Broad was right down on pace and looked short of a gallop? Looked nervy too.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 25-11-2010 at 04:11 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    England didn't bat that well against an Aussie attack which was solid overall (Siddle world-class, obv) but I think we'll know more once we see how England does tomorrow.

Worrying for England that Broad was right down on pace and looked short of a gallop?
    Did Broad limp off after the hattrick? That delivery struck him right on the toe, perhaps some bruising.

Doherty did his job, looked reasonably positive and threatening early although got a little bit straight to Cook. He kept the pressure on well up one end during Siddle's spell after lunch where he got the double breakthrough.

He gets the ball up and down pretty quickly, and gets the ball to bite more than Haury (and O'Keefe).

Was a nasty, nasty ball. Still can't get over it.

Wow, exciting first days play coupled with some magnificent commentary provided throughout this thread by rival fans.

I wouldn't be too concerned if I was an English fan, the batting looked pretty solid and confident, certainly not afraid of the Australian attack. Yeah, things didn't go as planned but they will as the series goes on unless our attack fixes itself up pretty quickly. You won't have blokes bowling hat-tricks every day.

Was very impressed with Bell today. I hate his guts because he's soft as butter but I'll have to revise that if he plays many more innings like that. That said, I thought he had finally arrived in 07 in that Indian ODI series but he dropped off pretty quickly after that...
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Doherty did his job, looked reasonably positive and threatening early although got a little bit straight to Cook. He kept the pressure on well up one end during Siddle's spell after lunch where he got the double breakthrough.

He gets the ball up and down pretty quickly, and gets the ball to bite more than Haury (and O'Keefe).
    The delivery that dismissed Bell dipped nicely. To the casual observer it looks a loose slog, but Doherty beat him in flight and ended a decent 9th wicket partnership.

Thread Information