• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm really suprised Hughes isn't in the squad because I thought Katich was one of their main concerns. If he is injured, or his injury becomes exacerbated and he can't play, I wonder who is the replacement opener?
Well, Khawaja's a natural opener. Hussey's opened a lot too.
I'm guessing they're just confident in Katich though.

Sylvester

State Captain
We know the selectors they already have their 11 and only injury will change that so they definitely aren't undecided on their 11, just uncertain on the injury front. Either way I don't mind the 17 man squad, should force a rethink on CA forcing the selectors to name a squad 10 days out from the Ashes test and before a full set of Shield matches and an Aus A match. It makes no logical sense to pick before the Aus A match, the whole point of that match is to give the next in line a chance to show what they can do.

On the selections, only shock omission is Hughes who did well in his return to Shield cricket last season and really hasn't done anything to be dropped out of the squad. The one thing that shows how indecisive the selectors are is the selection of Doherty. If he was the next in line spinner or 3rd depending on what they see Smith then he should have been picked for Aus A. This clearly shows how much influence ODI performances have on Test selection apart from White who seems to be in the never again basket.

Ruckus

International Captain
The Australian selectors don't have to stick to the squad selected. If Katich couldn't play they would just call in Hughes. This isn't like the World Cup, Australia can select 50 players for the squad if they really wanted too.
If thats the case, I don't understand then, what is the point of even naming a squad?

DragonPunk

School Boy/Girl Captain
I like the fact, they've made this round of shield and the A game important because if say Khawaja or Ferguson score runs vs the English attck, they might force their way in. I'm hoping so, anyway.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well, Khawaja's a natural opener. Hussey's opened a lot too.
I'm guessing they're just confident in Katich though.
Hmmm, but how long has it been since Khawaja opened? I don't like the idea of Hussey opening either, given the form he is in. Could trigger a collapse right from the onset.

Sylvester

State Captain
I like the fact, they've made this round of shield and the A game important because if say Khawaja or Ferguson score runs vs the English attck, they might force their way in. I'm hoping so, anyway.
Wishful thinking probably. Barring injury I can only see Hauritz spot being up for grabs according to the selectors logic.

Ruckus

International Captain
If they tour, those players would fly away.
Yeah I know that, but I mean whats the point of selecting a larger sized 17 man squad (which will inevitably be trimmed down to 12 or so)? If they can simply bring in new players to the squad at will, it seems a bit redundant... If their reasoning is, they want to use a few FC matches to help them decide on their final 12 or whatever I find that pretty ridiculous. No final selections should be made on the basis of a couple of shield games etc.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So they pick O'Keefe, averaging 25, for the Aus A game and then go Doherty, averaging 48 for the squad. Consistency ftw.

pup11

International Coach
I'm really suprised Hughes isn't in the squad because I thought Katich was one of their main concerns. If he is injured, or his injury becomes exacerbated and he can't play, I wonder who is the replacement opener?
Yeah, if either Watto or Katich go down on the morning of the test then all we are looking for is a makeshift arrangement, which sucks given the fact Hughes has hardly done anything wrong and for those who say Hughes isn't scoring enough runs for NSW, then they gotta take into consideration that he has hardly played many games for them in recent times, I believe the non-selection of Hughes has a definite hangover of the last Ashes series.
Doherty's name being even considered is absolute nonsense and goes to show that picking a spinner has become a bit of joke in Australia, also starting to wonder why O'Keffe is in the Aussie A sqaud!!
All in all picking a 17 man initial squad just shows that these selectors have no clue as to whom to pick for the 1st test, and as an Oz fan such lack of clarity regarding the team is a big concerning just before such a big series.

pup11

International Coach
Also.... I would be shattered if I was Ronny McDonald. If despite performing as well as he did if he can't even break into such a huge squad then its safe to say his test future looks to be pretty much over which is just plain sad, especially when you look at some of the other guys that have been picked.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I don't usually buy into the NSW thing but if Mcdonald played for NSW and scored 2 hundred in a match against Victoria before the ashes i'd be expecting more people calling for his inclusion....

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your say on Australia's Ashes squad | Fox Sports

:laugh: these people make the selectors they're rubbishing look perfectly normal. Hodge? He's retired...Doherty/Smith as the spinner? Surely even the selectors won't put Doherty at least in there ahead of Hauritz (think his naming in the squad, is more a ceremonial thing than anything - no matter how dumb it seems). Dropping Johnson (after what, 4 poor tests away from home?) for a half-fit Harris? So Dumb

Would really like to see if no changes are made though, Hussey & Clarke swap back to 4 & 5 respectively. Clarkes best position is at 5 imo, and I reckon it's a better chance of stopping a "collapse" not having Huss & North following each other out to the crease.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't see it happening, playing Clarke at 5 would be looked at as a demotion, especially since batting him at 4 was trumpted as a promotion.

And if you're shuffling blokes around to make up for the failings of others (North, Hussey), one wonders why the selectors are picking them at this level. North and Hussey would be after signs that they're backed and shoe-horning Clarke into a spot between them won't do that, most likely result in even less runs if anything.

You've got to back your blokes to come good if you pick them. If they're not coming good, no amount of order-shuffling will change that on a team level. The selectors need to make a tough choice I reckon and if the alternatives make some runs this week......

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Bit harsh on O'Keefe and Ronnie. What do you have to do to picked in a 17 man squad when you make 3 tons in 3 games?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bit harsh on O'Keefe and Ronnie. What do you have to do to picked in a 17 man squad when you make 3 tons in 3 games?
Yeah there's no way you'll convince me that McDonald isn't one of the best seventeen cricketers in the country. I'd definitely be tempted to include him at the Gabba - I'd bat him at eight, leave Hauritz out and utilise him as a fourth seamer. He'd prop up the middle order which has had its woes recently, and he can provide a holding role with the ball. If the wicket has a bit in it he can get some movement and be a real handful, and he's also very good at exploiting an up and down surface should the bounce become inconsistent on the last day. I know I've said in the past that Watson's existence makes him surplus to requirements, but he's a gun option if you're leaving out a spinner because he doesn't even need to bowl much to add to the team.

O'Keefe not being there ahead of Doherty is a huge surprise given the former was included for Australia A. I just don't get that. The only other players in the squad who didn't get picked for Australia A were established members in the first choice squad. And that's without even touching on the fact that O'Keefe is a lot better than Doherty. :p

Jayzamann

International Regular
The one thing I got out of this squad selection is that there might actually be some head rolling. Potentially. I don't want to see the same XI picked that played in India after this, that would mean the selectors are not only useless, but enormous ****teases as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The one thing I got out of this squad selection is that there might actually be some head rolling. Potentially. I don't want to see the same XI picked that played in India after this, that would mean the selectors are not only useless, but enormous ****teases as well.
Hoping for the same eleven now tbh. Because I just know that if I hope for changes, I'll get Doherty, Siddle and Ferguson.. and I don't want that.