• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
Pressure of captaincy might have something to do with that, as the captain he has a lot on his plate at the moment and that's probably starting to show in the kind of ways he is getting out.
Its true what you said regarding Hussey, but Chappell could easily give this advice to him in private but talking through the media is just not on.
Ah, there I agree. The media - aside from a few beacons of rationality - can go stick it as far as I'm concerned.

Woodster

International Captain
I doubt Strauss will be rested, partly because he thrives on form - leaving him out of the Bangladesh tour was a mistake - but mostly because there isn't a spare opener in the squad. Collingwood more likely to be left out of the Hobart game.
I don't personally agree that leaving Strauss out of the Bangladesh tour was a mistake, the decision did come in for a lot of criticism but I think we may now see the benefits of having a fresher captain. He was always going to play a lot of cricket through the summer and that tour represented a decent chance for him to have a break, physically and mentally, with the Ashes at the end of the year in mind.

The Bangladesh tour also gave us a look at Cook the skipper and gave him some experience of the job.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't personally agree that leaving Strauss out of the Bangladesh tour was a mistake, the decision did come in for a lot of criticism but I think we may now see the benefits of having a fresher captain. He was always going to play a lot of cricket through the summer and that tour represented a decent chance for him to have a break, physically and mentally, with the Ashes at the end of the year in mind.

The Bangladesh tour also gave us a look at Cook the skipper and gave him some experience of the job.
Except he wasn't having a break. He played seven county matches, as oppose to two Tests and three ODIs, and was struggling for form on early-season English wickets.

Woodster

International Captain
Except he wasn't having a break. He played seven county matches, as oppose to two Tests and three ODIs, and was struggling for form on early-season English wickets.
The first tour game in Bangladesh begun on February 23, the County season wasn't underway till April, there's more than a month's break there! Yes he'll have put in some training with Middlesex, but nothing in comparison to the intensities of an away tour to Bangladesh as captain. He will have been much fresher for the break.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Katich made 94 and Bollinger took 1/30 off 10 overs in club cricket, does anyone know how Johnson went?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just thought we should all take a moment to enjoy the rugby result today. A good omen
Do you mean the rugby league competition in which England came third?
Surely they can't do that badly in the Ashes. I suppose you could make a case for them finishing third on the tour should they lose to Australia A and then lose the Ashes too.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Surely they can't do that badly in the Ashes. I suppose you could make a case for them finishing third on the tour should they lose to Australia A and then lose the Ashes too.
Well neither England nor Australia won that competition. I'm sure England wouldm't be too distraught if that happened in the Ashes :)

Jacknife

International Captain
I'm not too sure, but I think he means the game where England put a record points total past Oz ;)

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The closer the game gets, the gladder I am that we've brought Tremlett with us. Got a feeling Finn will struggle; tipping a change to be made by the third test, and I think Tremlett could have a real say in proceedings if/when he comes in.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have any Aussie papers predicted a surprise call up or not?

Amazing how close the proper cricket journos get the squads,look at the way Tremlett was being predicted a week before ours was announced.