Page 13 of 405 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Don't call him a touche you touchebag.

Reckon we'll pick 4 quicks for a change considering Brisbane has been seaming and it may be wet. Dare say we'll name a 12 (probably already are doing that) with 5 bowlers: Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Hauritz, Harris/Siddle (hoping for Harris).

The top 7 will stay as is with Haddin in for Paine obviously. I'd say Hughes would be the obvious back up to Katich and bobyruncle.

Disappointed with Siddle, myself.

He hasn't come on the way I thought he would. Definitely have Bollinger and Harris ahead of him in the pecking order.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Never liked Siddle much besides the fact that when he's fit he's an all day bowler.

That's right, people tend to give him massive credit points on the basis that he'll 'run in all day'.

A good prospect, yes. But I just don't think he's quite come on as people would have hoped.

I remember in the Boxing Day Test in 2008 when he ripped through SA in one of the innings. I thought then he would go from strength to strength, but I think he's plateau-ed somewhat.

Yeah, gotta agree with regards to Siddle - his advantage as an all-day bowler is now somewhat negated by the fact that Hilfenhaus and R Harris are both capable of bowling all day, and at this stage seem to be better options than Siddle.

Reckon the squad for the first Test will be:

Ponting (c)
    Katich
    Watson
    Clarke
    Hussey
    North
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    R Harris
    Hilfenhaus
    Bollinger
    Siddle.

Not the side I'd have gone for, but realistically, Hussey and North were never going to get axed for the first Test if they hadn't already IMO.

+Khawaja and Ferguson. 15 man squad.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Don't see the point of a 15 man squad, the only way they would do that is if Katich and Bollinger are still under injury coulds, which in that case Hughes and P George would be the people to round out the 15.

Can't see the selectors naming any others outside that 15, certainly not Khawaja and Ferguson - reckon they've shown their hand with the middle order, at least for the first test or 2. They'll stand their ground with Hussey and North.

My 2 cents - Hussey was done as a Test cricketer a long time ago (and I spoke of that at the time). Because they didn't make the hard call 18 months agom we'll carry him for the summer or at least the first few Tests.

North's got a bit of a mortgage on his spot, so really it's Ferguson in line to take over from Hussey but probably not till after the series, it isn't this panels style to make those sorts of changes without compelling evidence of a better player (or an experienced player) with the bat.

Yep, naming a 15 man squad is horribly indecisive and weak in my opinion.

You barely take that many away on tours these days.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Yep, naming a 15 man squad is horribly indecisive and weak in my opinion.

You barely take that many away on tours these days.
    Yeah exactly. They've stood pretty firm up until now, can't seem them hedging a week out from the series. Only thing they might do is pick 5 quicks - Hilfenhaus/Johnson/Harris/Siddle/Bollinger - to cover for fitness concerns, and because there is geuinely very little between any of them.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Can't see Wiggy playing in Brisbane now,be a huge gamble after so long out with that type of injury to pick him after just one match.May well see him in the 2nd test if they decide to change the side but they'd be better giving him an extra week with that type of injury and having him for 4 tests than rushing him back only for him to break down in the first and miss the series.

Just my opinion,get the feeling if he was anywhere near ready he would play this week.

Sounds like Katich may miss out but that isn't such a loss as they have a ready made replacement in Hughes.Be interesting if he is in how he goes against the short ball barrage he will surely get from Broad.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Can't see Wiggy playing in Brisbane now,be a huge gamble after so long out with that type of injury to pick him after just one match.May well see him in the 2nd test if they decide to change the side but they'd be better giving him an extra week with that type of injury and having him for 4 tests than rushing him back only for him to break down in the first and miss the series.

Just my opinion,get the feeling if he was anywhere near ready he would play this week.

Sounds like Katich may miss out but that isn't such a loss as they have a ready made replacement in Hughes.Be interesting if he is in how he goes against the short ball barrage he will surely get from Broad.
    Hasn't done much this season (or during his stint in England), so if he does play I unfortunately can't see him doing all that much. Whether that's related to to the short ball or just a lack of form though, I've got no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yeah, gotta agree with regards to Siddle - his advantage as an all-day bowler is now somewhat negated by the fact that Hilfenhaus and R Harris are both capable of bowling all day, and at this stage seem to be better options than Siddle.

Reckon the squad for the first Test will be:

Ponting (c)
    Katich
    Watson
    Clarke
    Hussey
    North
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    R Harris
    Hilfenhaus
    Bollinger
    Siddle.

Not the side I'd have gone for, but realistically, Hussey and North were never going to get axed for the first Test if they hadn't already IMO.

So sick of this illogical favouritism whereby the selectors just lock in a player regardless of recent form or runs. Just really makes me want to rip my hair out!
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    So sick of this illogical favouritism whereby the selectors just lock in a player regardless of recent form or runs. Just really makes me want to rip my hair out!
    You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    What?
    That's a line from "Hotel California", about the titular hotel to which the Aussie team has developed a stunning similarity.

I was agreeing with you.

Thread Information