• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Siddle bowled the perfect length (for the most part) and attacked the stumps.

Unsurprisingly, he was rewarded.

And yeah, he is a fearsome sight. Would not want to see that face looming ever closer as a batsman, almost as bad as Sreesanth.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
So gutted I wasn't around to see X get his first test wickets.

Both parent's birth dates are between now and Christmas so I needed to utilise late night shopping :grr:

NasserFan207

Doherty's wickets weren't anything special, both batsman were slogging.

I get the sense Ponting plans on using him in a purely defensive role, utilising his one day skills and have him bowl to batsman looking to dominate.

Ruckus

International Captain
Doherty looks > Hauritz at this stage. Even though his wickets were freebies, he just looked more dangerous. Getting a lot of drift and turn as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Game over on first day. Well done lads. Wicket should only quicken up and will only improve for batting in the next couple of days and Broad and Finn will bowl short/get hammered. What did Flintoff tweet when Cook and KP were batting? 8-)

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Hilfy didn't bowl terrible tbh, he mostly bowled in the good length area, he needs to get it a bit more fuller and he'd do well. And needs to bowl obviously closer to offstump. Was getting it to swing. Mitch was terrible for most parts as usual.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Just saw a replay of Sids hat trick. Such an awesome sporting moment. Bloody good bowling, big stage and after the panning he got for replacing Dougeh. Had goosebumps watching it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Australia's day by a landslide.

Worrying thing is only Siddle really bowled well. Hilfy did ok but barely threated, Johnson was gash, Doherty looked ordanary, Watson bowls his usual pies....

and we are 260 all out.

Very.

Worrying.

TumTum

Banned
Australia's day by a landslide.

Worrying thing is only Siddle really bowled well. Hilfy did ok but barely threated, Johnson was gash, Doherty looked ordanary, Watson bowls his usual pies....

and we are 260 all out.

Very.

Worrying.
Don't agree with that part at all.

91Jmay

International Coach
Don't agree with that part at all.
Watson is a pretty decent 5th bowler to be fair, but no test batsmen who are set (Trott) should ever get out to a straight 80MPH ball.

Doherty did little to impress me, his wickets will never occur again (caught at deep cover and bowling a 10 reverse sweeping) and whilst he bowled some accurate darts i personally prefer spinners who can attack and win games. I think Hauritz is better to be honest.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I love Ashes Test cricket. The 'Gabba Test is really awesome. I was at the last Ashes Test at the 'Gabba and was surprised at the comfort and facilities there. A great atmosphere as well.

Today had everything. Ponting with his back to the wall. Strauss wanting to take the initiative and batting first. Petersen entertaining with great shots and bravado. Debutant Doherty dropping a catch, only to be consoled quickly by his Captain, and then picking up his first two Test wickets. Bell playing some great shots. Watson showing his all round skills. Also, Hilfenhaus - not fantastic but making the initial breakthrough. Only Johnson missed out. Perhaps he can make up for his lack of wickets with runs.

Flem274*

123/5
Doherty looked poor imo. Even Marcus North gives the ball more flight.

Not sure why you'd drop Hauritz only to pick Doherty. Isn't O'Keefe meant to be pretty decent and has a few wickets to his name?

Siddle was awesome to watch today, really awesome. The Prior wicket was my favourite.

91Jmay

International Coach
Doherty looked poor imo. Even Marcus North gives the ball more flight.

Not sure why you'd drop Hauritz only to pick Doherty. Isn't O'Keefe meant to be pretty decent and has a few wickets to his name?

Siddle was awesome to watch today, really awesome. The Prior wicket was my favourite.

Agree totally. I actually think North could have done exactly what Doherty did today (with maybe a few more runs at most).

Which as i stated earlier, scares the living **** out of me.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I have to be honest i've always felt Siddle was average!!..but the boy came up with the goods today, as soon as Strauss went early that seemed to set the tone for England!!..for me they never really looked comfortable, they certainly got the bowlers to get back into this game though!!.. Swanny isn't the number two bowler in the world for nothing, great start to the Ashes though and long may it continue.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson is a pretty decent 5th bowler to be fair, but no test batsmen who are set (Trott) should ever get out to a straight 80MPH ball.

Doherty did little to impress me, his wickets will never occur again (caught at deep cover and bowling a 10 reverse sweeping) and whilst he bowled some accurate darts i personally prefer spinners who can attack and win games. I think Hauritz is better to be honest.
Lol.. He's bowled 15 overs at test level. Glad you didn't see Warne's debut.

Noble One

What a start to the Ashes, surely one of the best opening days to start the series. As one of the few members of this forum who backed the selection of Siddle over Bollinger, I am feeling rather proud of my fellow Victorian.

Have we seen such a hostile display by an Australian bowler in Australia since Johnson in Perth? I think this gives the selectors some breathing room, I cannot imagine Bollinger doing what Siddle did today.

I hope Hilfenhaus starts to find more touch, I wasn't able to watch the entire innings, but his start to the Australian season has been rather subdued. I have seen quite a bit of his bowling for Tasmania, and he hasn't been very threatening.

Ruckus

International Captain
God...I just watched the Sky Sports highlights of the match - Ian Botham couldn't have made that hattrick any less exciting.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was quietly dying inside

Bit harsh on Doherty after the day from some folks. First day on a slow pitch, he did his job.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England didn't bat that well against an Aussie attack which was solid overall (Siddle world-class, obv) but I think we'll know more once we see how England does tomorrow. This Aussie just as collapsy, a couple of early wickets and it'll all be on again.

Worrying for England that Broad was right down on pace and looked short of a gallop? Looked nervy too.

Last edited:

Noble One

England didn't bat that well against an Aussie attack which was solid overall (Siddle world-class, obv) but I think we'll know more once we see how England does tomorrow.

Worrying for England that Broad was right down on pace and looked short of a gallop?
Did Broad limp off after the hattrick? That delivery struck him right on the toe, perhaps some bruising.