Page 11 of 405 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Shouldn't really be picking the team based off two matches anyway IMO, so I don't have a huge problem with it.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Saw Roebuck state that today. Think it doesn't make a difference, the top 6 will be the same as what we've seen, these rounds of matches are just to sort out the pecking order of potential replacements.
    Whilst what your saying is undoubtedly correct, it's absolutely ludicrous that North and/or Hussey could fail a number of times and potential replacements succeed without it making one iota of difference to the selectors thinking - it's that sort of attitude that has got us where we are ffs

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Yeah it's good to see Hussey and North get a freeroll into the Ashes. I hope Khawaja scores big in both FC matches beforehand though
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sometimes four isn't enough though. Having five (six even tbh, North's useful) bowling options > having four. You can't just ignore the fact that Australia have an extra couple of decent bowling options - or you can, but then it doesn't make sense to then take the batting all the way down to nine.

I'll put it this way - I don't think the bowling of Watson and North is less likely to have an impact on the series than the difference between the batting of Hauritz/Johnson and Broad/Swann.
    Agree with this, and I think Hauritz should bat at 8 and Johnson should bat at 9.
    Like Johnson's bowling, even his batting has gone slightly downhill in the last 18 months, and I think if Hauritz bats at 8, its gives him a chance, to build an innings, and then Johnson at 9 can come, and play his shots, as that's when he is at his best.
    As for Australia's top 6, I feel Hussey is gonna be disappointing, in this series as well. Nothing wrong with his technique or anything, but he seems to have a mental cluster, that's making things hard for him, in the longer form of the game.

Talk on Ch 7 that they'll pick a 15 man squad anyway, so it might not mean anything in the end.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Seems a strange one to announce the team before the A game even if they pick a 15 man squad.What if they pick Ferguson in the squad and he gets a pair in the A game and Khawaja gets a ton?

Having said that,a 15 man squad for a test at home shows the selectors have no idea what the best side is at present.You could understand it if there was an injury doubt so they don't need a late call up but unless Katich or Bollinger are worse than has been reported then it makes no sense.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Imo, there are a few spots that are 50/50, and I believe the Shield/'A' game could well dictate who gets those spots. So there bloody well better be a 15 man squad.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Probably because the selectors having no idea is something close to their default state of being tbh.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I'm more annoyed with the squads being announced early because it means the selectors are putting little pressure on Hussey and North to finally perform...If they even have a chance too beforehand

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    All jokes aside, it is so weird going to an Ashes series 95% sure what our team will be whilst Australia are unsettled. Almost like a parallel universe.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    I'm more annoyed with the squads being announced early because it means the selectors are putting little pressure on Hussey and North to finally perform...If they even have a chance too beforehand
    Yep for sure. It also gives England more time to prepare tactics if do see a surprise selection or two.

So many things in Aus Cricket make so little sense at the moment. ****ing crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    All jokes aside, it is so weird going to an Ashes series 95% sure what our team will be whilst Australia are unsettled. Almost like a parallel universe.
    Doesn't mean your team is any good just because it's set

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Doesn't mean your team is any good just because it's set
    Good enough to beat you last time and we have improved since then and you have gone backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Good enough to beat you last time and we have improved since then and you have gone backwards.
    Difference is you're playing in our backyard.

We haven't gone that far backwards either. The media have just pumped it up. Obviously it'll depend somewhat on the squad (XI) that the selectors choose, but it's a bit of a beat up to suggest that our test team is in shambles. We were two inches away from going one up in India - This discussion wouldn't be happening otherwise.

IMO, once play starts, it'll all click again

It's fortunate somewhat for you blokes that there is so much debate regarding our middle order that the Australian media have largely forgotten the fragility of the English batting and your lack of a strike or leading bowler (unless its a cows meadow for Neo)
    Last edited by GotSpin; 08-11-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Yep for sure. It also gives England more time to prepare tactics if do see a surprise selection or two.

So many things in Aus Cricket make so little sense at the moment. ****ing crazy.
    I'll be waiting in anticipation for the squad. Will be absolutely ropeable if Usman isn't included
    Last edited by GotSpin; 08-11-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Page 11 of 405 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information