• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Corrin did do a Strauss... had a toss then went and laid down for the day.

(said it ages ago but you were asleep tbf)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So Corrin did do a Strauss... had a toss then went and laid down for the day.

(said it ages ago but you were asleep tbf)
:laugh:

cbf to catch up 8 40ppp pages when I got up

Might read through them in work later though; fairly sure my contracts prevents me from actually doing work on Ashes days

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Hilfenhaus can't just bowl legcutters over and over, he needs to mix in the off-cutter to avoid becoming totally predictable.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Cook keeps the bowlers interested, eh? Using up his series' allotment of spawn in one innings.
Reckon Watson's the most likely to get him out, TBF. Simply because he feels prepared to drive Watson, whereas he'll just leave all those balls against the three main quicks.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Drying up Bell at this stage would be the plan. Has a lot of starts against Australia, and in general this is the time where they've dried him up and made him work really hard for his runs. Dry him up, and dictate the pace of the game to him.

In the Aus A game, he got onto Smith at this stage and set his innings alight. Ends up with 192.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think someone (Jack?) said it earlier but this does seem eerily similar to the first day of the 09 series thus far

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
As said, Australia are waiting for England to make a mistake with these tactics. It might work, but if the English batsman stay focused there's no reason why they should feel threatened.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No way Johnson can justify his place in this side anymore. He's just as useful as North these days.
If the selectors judged him on what he looks like when he bowls he'd never play again, but I still think he'll produce one or two of his patented magical balls from amidst the (undeniable) gash and winkle out a couple.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think someone (Jack?) said it earlier but this does seem eerily similar to the first day of the 09 series thus far
Mentioned the pitch being pretty similar, but thought earlier that even the way that the Poms (aside from Strauss) have gotten starts, Australia not bowling amazingly but bowling well in patches, and the slowness of the pitch combine to create a similar nature of game.