Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 405 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    That is possibly what we'll miss most.He is a genuine workhorse in the Hoggard mould and we don't have one in the pace attack now.
    Not that will be in the starting XI, but we do have Bresnan, who is not of the same quality, imo, as Onions, who is of a similar ilk, who will bustle in, keep his pace at the same decent level from first ball to last, but probably lacks the threat and excellent control of Onions.

But I agree that that is one of the attributes we'll miss in Onions.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Not that will be in the starting XI, but we do have Bresnan, who is not of the same quality, imo, as Onions, who is of a similar ilk, who will bustle in, keep his pace at the same decent level from first ball to last, but probably lacks the threat and excellent control of Onions.

But I agree that that is one of the attributes we'll miss in Onions.
    I like Bresnan but i don't think he is in the same league as Onions and doesn't seem to have the control to succeed at test level.He is a massive part of the one day side though as he is an all rounder and i'd pick him in every one day match to make sure that the likes of Anderson and Broad are rested as when is needed to keep them at their best.

I guess we just have to hope Swann can keep a lid on one end all series which is asking a lot as they will surely target him to try and put him off his stride.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I like Bresnan but i don't think he is in the same league as Onions and doesn't seem to have the control to succeed at test level.He is a massive part of the one day side though as he is an all rounder and i'd pick him in every one day match to make sure that the likes of Anderson and Broad are rested as when is needed to keep them at their best.

I guess we just have to hope Swann can keep a lid on one end all series which is asking a lot as they will surely target him to try and put him off his stride.
    Yes, Bresnan is an honest trier, but just lacks that extra bit of quality to become a starter in the Test XI. On flat decks he still gives his all and can manage to get some reverse if conditions suit, like he did in Bangladesh. But against top batsmen he does come up a little short. Decent back-up option mind.

In ODI's I agree that he's become a very useful member of the squad for what he offers with ball and bat.

Swann is naturally key, and it should be an area where we have a healthy advantage over the Aussies. They may look to attack him as they're aware he is vital to our 4-man attack working effectively, but expect Swann to relish the battle. I do hope we're not overly reliant on him having to be our most economical and threatening bowler every innings, he will need support from the quicker men.

He will get the support,i expect Broad and Finn to do well and use their height to advantage.Both are very fast learners and should be able to adapt to bowling the different lengths needed in Australia.Anderson is a worry,yes he will destroy the Aussies if he gets the right conditions but how often is he likely to get them in Australia,the rest of the time he is cannon fodder though he is a little bit wiser and less of a liability than he was 3 or 4 years ago.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Just to put a different perspective on who to pick for the first test, the averages for Australia V England since 2000

Hussey 734 runs @ 56.46
    Clarke 1172 runs @ 55.80
    North 367 runs @ 52.42
    Ponting 2075 runs @ 51.87
    Watson 248 runs @ 48.00
    Haddin 278 runs @ 46.33
    Katich 604 runs @ 33.55

Surprised to see Katman's average so poor. 2005 hangover? I know he also didn't have a stellar time of it after Cardiff.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Just to put a different perspective on who to pick for the first test, the averages for Australia V England since 2000

Hussey 734 runs @ 56.46
    Clarke 1172 runs @ 55.80
    North 367 runs @ 52.42
    Ponting 2075 runs @ 51.87
    Watson 248 runs @ 48.00
    Haddin 278 runs @ 46.33
    Katich 604 runs @ 33.55
    Definitely the operative word there. :O

The Australian team for this game will be announced on 15 November.

That's right, before the Australia A game, and before the full round of Shield matches.

lol
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    He will get the support,i expect Broad and Finn to do well and use their height to advantage.Both are very fast learners and should be able to adapt to bowling the different lengths needed in Australia.Anderson is a worry,yes he will destroy the Aussies if he gets the right conditions but how often is he likely to get them in Australia,the rest of the time he is cannon fodder though he is a little bit wiser and less of a liability than he was 3 or 4 years ago.
    I think the Eastern states are expecting quite a wet summer this year, so Anderson may get conditions to suit him afterall. More than usual, anyway.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think the Eastern states are expecting quite a wet summer this year, so Anderson may get conditions to suit him afterall. More than usual, anyway.
    Hopefully but you can't bank on it when you go to Australia.You know beforehand in England there will be a couple of grounds he will get help no matter what and may at others due to conditions anyway.If he does get conditions to suit then Australia could be in serious trouble as they don't play the swinging ball well at all.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah, that's true. Also depends on whether he can get the Kooka to swing (though I imagine he's bowled with it many times on tours of other places).

Gabba often sees the ball move around a fair bit. Usually on at least one day there's an impending thunderstorm about the place.

I think that with the Test wickets at least, that the ball hoops around is a bit of a myth. In Shield cricket, my God the pitch has branches growing on it such is its greenness. However, the Test tracks are flat but for the first morning where you may get a bit of assistance but certainly not prodigious movement. The Test pitch is always over to the Eastern side of the square and is an absolute beauty.

Exactly, the aim will be for it to be a normal Test wicket at the 'Gabba. The weather will determine whether or not it genuinely provides something for the seam bowlers, as seen when NZ were here last and Southee took advantage of good bowling conditions (certainly not unplayable ones, though).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    The Australian team for this game will be announced on 15 November.

That's right, before the Australia A game, and before the full round of Shield matches.

lol
    **** off, are you serious? Why?? Sounds ridiculous.
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Saw Roebuck state that today. Think it doesn't make a difference, the top 6 will be the same as what we've seen, these rounds of matches are just to sort out the pecking order of potential replacements.

Page 10 of 405 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information