• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Predictions

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah give North a chance to get 0 and then declare :ph34r:
Haha, indeed. Burgey, I'd swap the Katich and Clarke scores btw. A Clarke double-hundred would be a treat to watch...

...which is much, much more than I could say for a Katman double.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
5-0 Australia
Top runscorer - Katich and Strauss
Top wicket taker - Bollinger
Dumpings - Marcus North (one can only hope) and Siddle.
Debutant/Returning players - Steve Smith or Khawaja
Surprise Packet - Steve Smith

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
4-0 Australia
Top Run Scorer - Ponting/Strauss
Top Wicket taker - Johnson/Broad
Axed - Hauritz/KP
Debuts - None
Flop of the series - Prior
Surprise - Johnson, will take plenty of wickets and bat a lot better as well.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Predictions:
3-1 Australia.
Top run scorers - Ponting/Strauss
Top wicket takers - Johnson/Broad
Axed - Hauritz/North/Finn/Bell
Debut/Returns - Siddle (1st test, Dougeh has to pull out with injury), Khwaja, Paine (Haddin injury again) - Morgan/Tremlett
Flop of the series - Katich/Swann
Surprise of the series - Hauritz - will average under 30 with the ball. Johnners over 30 with the Bat.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup, reckon there's a chance of Aust playing 4 seamers in 1 test (i.e. Perth), regardless of how Hauritz is bowling beforehand. "Axed" mightn't be the best way of putting it, but reckon it might happen.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Scoreline: 3-1 Australia
Top Runscorers: Micheal Clarke for Australia and Jonathon Trott for England
Top Wicket Takers: Mitchell Johnson for Australia and Swann for England
Debutant/Returning Players: Usman Khawaja

Swann, despite being the highest wicket taker for England, will average over 33.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, have a feeling Aussies are going to turn around their dreadful form and win the Ashes.

But, i will support the English this time... (no jinx).

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
3-1 Australia
Top runscorer - Simon Katich
Top wicket taker - Doug the Rug (if fit), otherwise Johnson.
Dumpings - None during the series.
Debutant/Returning players - Khawaja, due to an injury.
Surprise Packet - Bill Lawry to refer to a Victorian player/crowd/curator/seagull as an Australian rather than a Victorian.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Result: 3-1 Australia
Top runscorer: Kevin Pietersen
Top wicket taker: Ben Hilfenhaus
Dumpings: Stephen Finn, Marcus North, Nathan Hauritz
Debutant/Returning players: Usman Khawaja and Steve Smith
Surprise Packet: All of the tests to go five days, Australia to win the series but England to have the two leading run scorers

smash84

The Tiger King
Result: 3-1 Australia
Top runscorer: Kevin Pietersen
Top wicket taker: Ben Hilfenhaus
Dumpings: Stephen Finn, Marcus North, Nathan Hauritz
Surprise Packet: All of the tests to go five days, Australia to win the series but England to have the two leading run scorers
Result: 3-0 Australia
Top runscorer: Ricky Ponting
Top wicket taker: Mitchell Johnson for Australia and Swann for England
Dumpings: Marcus North, Nathan Hauritz...not sure about England.....
Surprise Packet: I think Australia are going to bring back Steven Smith and he will be the one to destroy England. Ricky Ponting and Mitchell Johnson will hit back.

England will once again bite the dust. They don't have the bowling attack to trouble Australia in Australia.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, have a feeling Aussies are going to turn around their dreadful form and win the Ashes.

But, i will support the English this time... (no jinx).
This time around....for the first time in a long long time I will be supporting Australia. They seem to be looking like the West Indies of the mid to late nineties. I don't want them going down that route.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Scoreline: 2-2-1 England retain ashes
Top Runscorers: Kevin Pietersen / Michael Clarke
Top Wicket Takers: Stuart Broad / Mitchell Johnson
Debutant/Returning Players: Monty Panesar / Brad Haddin
Surprise event: Monty To be the star of the Sydney Test in circumstances that bizarrely mirror those of the third test in the 06/07 Ashes.

Spark

Global Moderator
Scoreline: 2-2-1 England retain ashes
Top Runscorers: Kevin Pietersen / Michael Clarke
Top Wicket Takers: Stuart Broad / Mitchell Johnson
Debutant/Returning Players: Monty Panesar / Brad Haddin
Surprise event: Monty To be the star of the Sydney Test in circumstances that bizarrely mirror those of the third test in the 06/07 Ashes.
Monty to hit a 60-ball 100 you say?

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Scoreline: 2-2 (Australia winning at Brisbane and Perth, England claiming a victory of righteous vengance at the Adelaide and a Swann-inspired triumph at Sydney, with Melbourne a scrappy, hrad-fought draw).
Top Runscorers: Simon Katich (overall top runscorer in series), Johnathan Trott
Top Wickettakers: Doug Bollinger (will get Strauss at least five times in the series), Graeme Swann (overall top wickettaker, including at least 8 at Sydney)
Dumpings: Marcus North, Steven Finn (through injury probably)
Debutant/Returning Players: Usman Khawaja (though hopefully not from an England perspective), Chris Tremlett
Flop of the Series: Michael Clarke
Surprise PACKAGE: Hauritz to claim a five-for in one test and Aussie to return to the forum and proclaim that he actually thought him by far Australia's best spinning option all along.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
2-2

In the runs: Ricky, as he bloody well always does - will get a stack of runs against us, but only once go on to make a face-in-the dirt epic. Hussey will score more runs than most of the world seem to think, whilst everyone else in the Aussie line up will flatter to deceive. For England, the top order will continue to misfire and Matt Prior will come through on the rails to top the runscorers list.

Wicket Takers: On the grounds that our seamers are way too inconsistent over the course of the five Tests, I have to go for Swanny to top the tally. For the convicts, Hilfenhaus will work his arse off all series, but consistently bowl half a yard too short to get anyone out (let me be the first person ever to compare him to Corey Collymore), whilst Mitch will somehow contrive to top the lists having sent down his usual mish-mash of jaffas and ****e.

Dumpings: Kevin Pietersen will find himself on the outer by the time my plane lands in Melbourne having failed to cross fifty all tour. Eoin Morgan will then come in and make a century in his first knock, before failing to make double figures in either subsequent innings and being nicknamed "Northy", who retains his Baggy Green due to the fact that he has some unbelievably compromising photos of Jamie Cox and Mitchell Johnson's mum.

New Blood: Tremlett will almost certainly play a Test match when one of our pace attack breaks in half: and it wouldn't surprise me to see Shahzad wheeled in from Perth when another leg falls off. Khawaja appears to deserve a crack for the Aussies, but I expect to see Steve Smith play more often than Haley Joel Hauritz.

WTF: an injury to Matt Prior means I need to take the gloves for the final glorious session at Sydney. Back in reality, Tremlett retains his place having come in for whoever ends up injured. North to make one score between 30 and 80 and stun us all.