• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sorry but that's nonsense

The guy has taken about 130 test wickets in the last 2 years and literally EVERYBODY knows what he bowls so either:

a. he is much better than you give him credit for; or

b. the world's major test nations (notice how his record isnt padded) have a heap of absolutely ****e batsmen including one Rahul Dravid
No, you're only a good bowler if you take wickets in a way that tooextracool approves of.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd prefer to call him an effective test match bowler rather than a good one. You cant be a good bowler if you dont bowl well.
Surely taking cheap wickets on a consistent basis = bowling well, though? How else would you define it?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely taking cheap wickets on a consistent basis = bowling well, though? How else would you define it?
Well people claim Botham was a lucky bowler.Maybe Johnson is the same.

I think he will go for plenty of runs in the ashes but he is the bowler most likely to win Australia a game by himself by getting a ruck of wickets in a short space of time.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sorry but that's nonsense

The guy has taken about 130 test wickets in the last 2 years and literally EVERYBODY knows what he bowls so either:

a. he is much better than you give him credit for; or

b. the world's major test nations (notice how his record isnt padded) have a heap of absolutely ****e batsmen including one Rahul Dravid
The point is not that he's a mystery or that batsmen aren't aware of what he bowls. Rahul Dravid, since you bring it up, is a classic example of the point Im trying to make here. Dravid doesnt struggle against him because hes bowling jaffa after jaffa against him or that hes hitting the seam or getting the ball to move in the air. Dravid struggles against him because he quite frankly doesnt like the low trajectory and slingy trajectory with which Johnson delivers the ball. It has nothing to do with what Johnson is doing with the ball - which is absolutely nothing. It is the fact that he isnt used to someone bowling at that kind of angle against him and its not exactly something that can be replicated (well i suppose it can if done the right way in the nets) given that Johnson is arguably the first of his kind- a slingy 90 mph left arm pace bowler. As I've said before though, hes lucky that he's left handed because the novelty factor is what gets him wickets.

It will wear off though, and the only question is when. I also don't think that most batsman play him the way they should either. He bowls about 1/100 deliveries on the stumps and thats something that shouldnt be that hard to negotiate.

tooextracool

International Coach
There's a difference between being effective and bowling well. Most people here have admitted as much that he bowls poorly and waywardly but still takes wickets. No one is denying that he has been effective thus far his career but his bowling is comparable to a batsman that scores centuries on a somewhat regular basis by edging most of his deliveries through the slip cordon.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Johnson's ****, and he's a tosser and his tattoos are a joke, end of. Talk about something else you idiots.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Sky Sports | Ashes News | Cricket | Australia v England | Johnson targets ****y England

Johnson you pillock.

After Ponting calls out half of England's bloody batting line-up, Bollinger discusses which players he's going to sledge up the arse, Watson rather openly ponders Finn's ability and a bunch of other crap, Johnno says: "Good luck to them and if they want to throw around a few words, then that's fine, but we're just going to focus on our game."

Yeah.

Oh and then declares: "We saw that the last Ashes, Cook was probably a bit of a weak link for them. But you never know, he can come out here and score plenty of runs. I don't want to say that he's the weak link, (but) there will definitely be a lot of pressure on him - that's for sure."

No, we should totally stop throwing words around, you massive ****.

Johnson...WAC.

Top_Cat

Yeah, have to say, the trash-talking from the Aussies is pretty rank. Only Watto really has the form to back it up.

Julian87

State Captain
The point is not that he's a mystery or that batsmen aren't aware of what he bowls. Rahul Dravid, since you bring it up, is a classic example of the point Im trying to make here. Dravid doesnt struggle against him because hes bowling jaffa after jaffa against him or that hes hitting the seam or getting the ball to move in the air. Dravid struggles against him because he quite frankly doesnt like the low trajectory and slingy trajectory with which Johnson delivers the ball. It has nothing to do with what Johnson is doing with the ball - which is absolutely nothing. It is the fact that he isnt used to someone bowling at that kind of angle against him and its not exactly something that can be replicated (well i suppose it can if done the right way in the nets) given that Johnson is arguably the first of his kind- a slingy 90 mph left arm pace bowler. As I've said before though, hes lucky that he's left handed because the novelty factor is what gets him wickets.

It will wear off though, and the only question is when. I also don't think that most batsman play him the way they should either. He bowls about 1/100 deliveries on the stumps and thats something that shouldnt be that hard to negotiate.
How come Scott Brant hasn't taken 100 wickets for Australia at test level?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
"Cook was probably a bit of a weak link... but you never know... I don't want to say he's the weak link."

It's hardly Glenn McGrath, is it?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Watto trash-talking is ridiculous, tbh.
Always funny, because when you read it in an article it sounds all serious and aggravated, and then you see clip of him doing it in an interview and he looks like he's trying to be serious but failing badly.

Burgey

Sky Sports | Ashes News | Cricket | Australia v England | Johnson targets ****y England

Johnson you pillock.

After Ponting calls out half of England's bloody batting line-up, Bollinger discusses which players he's going to sledge up the arse, Watson rather openly ponders Finn's ability and a bunch of other crap, Johnno says: "Good luck to them and if they want to throw around a few words, then that's fine, but we're just going to focus on our game."

Yeah.

Oh and then declares: "We saw that the last Ashes, Cook was probably a bit of a weak link for them. But you never know, he can come out here and score plenty of runs. I don't want to say that he's the weak link, (but) there will definitely be a lot of pressure on him - that's for sure."

No, we should totally stop throwing words around, you massive ****.

Johnson...WAC.
Should just come out and tell the truth. Just say we hate them, I will try to knock a few of them out and be done with it. It's all a bit too nice frankly. Better off saying nothing or being honest about it, not this middle of the road dross. It's too much like Johnson's own bowling - all over the shop and not threatening enough for my liking.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
I don't understand how Johnson can say England have been making ****y comments. Especially as England seem to be going out of there way not to say anything. From what I've seen the only comment that anyone has really made was KP saying he was back in form and feeling on fire.

andyc

I don't understand how Johnson can say England have been making ****y comments. Especially as England seem to be going out of there way not to say anything. From what I've seen the only comment that anyone has really made was KP saying he was back in form and feeling on fire.
If you only read what Johnson said and not the media beat-up, that's pretty much all that he's said.

They're talking probably a lot more than I noticed before the last series,"

"Whether they're being ****y or not, that's maybe a confidence thing with them. They've been playing well for probably 18 months.

"Good luck to them and if they want to throw around a few words, then that's fine, but we're just going to focus on our game."

Pietersen had claimed he is "on fire" following knocks of 58 and 35 not out against the Warriors - and Mitchell is ready to test those words.

"I did hear him say that he was on fire - that was about all I heard," Johnson said.

"But talking about ****y comments... that's probably one of them. It's just how Pietersen is - it's what gets him going.

But if we go out there and focus on what we need to do... we will win this series - that's the plan, and do it in front of a home crowd and hopefully put a few of those comments away."

"If we can go after their captain, Strauss, I think if you can get him early at the top order, (it will) hopefully put a lot of pressure on their lower/middle order," Johnson said.

"Being the captain, I think they've really looked up to him in the last 18 months, especially after beating us at their home.

"If we can put a lot of pressure on him, then hopefully they can crumble a little bit.

"We saw that the last Ashes, Cook was probably a bit of a weak link for them. But you never know, he can come out here and score plenty of runs.

"I don't want to say that he's the weak link, (but) there will definitely be a lot of pressure on him - that's for sure."
Nothing to it.

Jarquis

Yeah we've looked up to Strauss.... not like he hasn't tonned since the Ashes or anything.(IIRC)