• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually I'm pretty sure I've read that Strauss played his first cricket in Oz, tbh. His family had 18 months in Melbourne after leaving SA.

Anyway, to my way of thinking our selectors only duty is to select the best XI to retain the Ashes, regardless of accents or upbringing. In fact if we didn't select the best available players because they failed some spurious "Englishness" test I think we'd be on very dodgy ground morally and potentially legally too.
Yeah, he played a fair bit of cricket even after he moved to England too I think - spent a lot of Australian summers over here as an overseas pro, I believe. Still though, it's not like England are claiming Hussey and Jaques for having the county system develop them, so it'd be a drawing a long bow.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyway, to my way of thinking our selectors only duty is to select the best XI to retain the Ashes, regardless of accents or upbringing. In fact if we didn't select the best available players because they failed some spurious "Englishness" test I think we'd be on very dodgy ground morally and potentially legally too.
Basically this. It's spurious, can't be taken on a case-by-case basis legally and basically allows players to play for England if they live here and want to. The bizzare argument that seems to get doled out is whether or not the team currently "represents" the country.

Currently, I know several South Africans in my address book living and working their trade in London. One is a doctor, one is a student, one is a barman and another is a cricketer. Get past it.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
At what age is it okay to transfer to a different country? This isn't to do with England because they have good enough players all ready, but I can imagine that say New Zealand would be a good place for a talented 17yr old South African batsman to go, to fill that need there, or at least hype their chances, whats the rules around all this.

The only thing that bothers me about Englands outsourcing is that there a drain on Irish talent, But its double edged as it allows Irish talent to be cultivated better with a better system, I just hope that say if magically in 5 years Ireland got test status that Morgan would be immediately aloud to change his alligence.

Howe_zat

Audio File
At what age is it okay to transfer to a different country? This isn't to do with England because they have good enough players all ready, but I can imagine that say New Zealand would be a good place for a talented 17yr old South African batsman to go, to fill that need there, or at least hype their chances, whats the rules around all this.

The only thing that bothers me about Englands outsourcing is that there a drain on Irish talent, But its double edged as it allows Irish talent to be cultivated better with a better system, I just hope that say if magically in 5 years Ireland got test status that Morgan would be immediately aloud to change his alligence.
About New Zealand, no offense to them, but I doubt the SA-born players in the England set up are there because they expected a place in the team. They're there because they wanted to move to England.

About Ireland, it goes both ways. They are heavily dependent on county cricket and their own migrant community to form their national team, and so it is kind of expected that those with a chance at playing Tests will go on to play for England. This isn't going to change until Ireland gets its own first-class structure, which given the tiny cricket-watching population it has is not going to happen for some time.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
About New Zealand, no offense to them, but I doubt the SA-born players in the England set up are there because they expected a place in the team. They're there because they wanted to move to England.

About Ireland, it goes both ways. They are heavily dependent on county cricket and their own migrant community to form their national team, and so it is kind of expected that those with a chance at playing Tests will go on to play for England. This isn't going to change until Ireland gets its own first-class structure, which given the tiny cricket-watching population it has is not going to happen for some time.
I know that the players aren't moving to England for Cricket, or at least the large majority definitely aren't. But the whole concept of moving from place to place is fraught with difficulties when it comes to national teams. New Zealand, West Indies & Bangladesh are some of the weaker test nations, I can just imagine that if the rules are lenient (I don't know the rules there probably variable with each country) that some cricketers will venture else where to play at the highest level, like Australians in the West Indies team, or South Africans in the New Zealand team. I can't remember but I have a vague idea that theres like a 5 year waiting period before qualification, still the whole idea poses questions.

With Ireland I acknowledge all the benefits, I just hope, come the day theres a Irish test team, that All Irish players playing for or have played for england get to choose from scratch there allegiance.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Although I realise it quite a journey but couldn't he get on a ship out there? I know if I had half a chance of being involved in an Ashes test match I'd attempt to swim there. And I can't even swim.

Howe_zat

Audio File
How long can't he fly for? I mean it's a long tour, can't he join up later?
Doesn't look like it, as the performance squad are only out there until mid-December.

As for shipping, that'd be something incredibly hard to organise at short notice for one player, and would mean he probably wouldn't arrive in time for the first game. He's probably been advised not to travel much anyway.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Although I realise it quite a journey but couldn't he get on a ship out there? I know if I had half a chance of being involved in an Ashes test match I'd attempt to swim there. And I can't even swim.
Europe to Australia without flying

"You can go all the way from the UK to Australia or New Zealand by sea, a slow voyage by passenger-carrying freighter or occasional round-the-world cruise. Expect this to take 32-40 days and cost around £3,500 one-way including cabin & meals."

Think he might be a bit late. :)

howardj

International Coach
Anybody watch Sportsline on Sky News last night - where they had two experts (David Lord and Andrew someone or another) discussing the Aussie Ashes squad.

One of them retained Hussey and North and had Clarke as 12th man (because he hadn't done enough), the other had Mitchell Starc in and Mitchell Johnson out, while Lord had Hughes in for Katich and called Steve Harmison, Stuart Harmison. My god, it was cringeworthy.

pup11

International Coach
Anybody watch Sportsline on Sky News last night - where they had two experts (David Lord and Andrew someone or another) discussing the Aussie Ashes squad.

One of them retained Hussey and North and had Clarke as 12th man (because he hadn't done enough), the other had Mitchell Starc in and Mitchell Johnson out, while Lord had Hughes in for Katich and called Steve Harmison, Stuart Harmison. My god, it was cringeworthy.
Well..such ''experts'' are everywhere these days so just watch 'em speak if you wish to have a few good laughs.
As for Clarke being dropped, probably most Australian cricket fans would drop him at present and cricketing reason might not have much to do with that.

Spark

Global Moderator
I wouldn't go so far as to say most as in a straight majority. Certainly a large - and rather stupid by and large - portion though.

Ignore them, I say. If they clearly don't know what they're talking about they aren't worth anyone's time.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeh totally don't get this Clarke nonsense. He is one of our only batmen who actually scores consistently. What are these people, ****ing nuts?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeh totally don't get this Clarke nonsense. He is one of our only batmen who actually scores consistently. What are these people, ****ing nuts?
Haha yeah, seems so odd. Fails in a couple of Tests after a period of sustained brilliance and deserves to be dropped. I'm not a fan of his limited overs efforts but to say he shouldn't be in the Test team is ridiculous.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well David Lord is a rugby commentator and Andrew is likel Andrew Moore who calls nrl on 2gb and fills in for Ray Hadley on liberal radio. Though he used to do the scoring in 2ue back when they broadcast cricket.

morgieb

Haha yeah, seems so odd. Fails in a couple of Tests after a period of sustained brilliance and deserves to be dropped. I'm not a fan of his limited overs efforts but to say he shouldn't be in the Test team is ridiculous.
Yeah, most unfairly treated cricketer ever. Should probably move to #5, though.

flibbertyjibber

Can't understand all the flak Clarke is getting.He is a class act having a poor run of form and he won't be helped by every man and his dog constantly criticising him in the press.Add in that there are two other players who have vastly inferior records over the last couple of years and shouldn't be in the side anyway then it makes you wonder what the Aussie medias agenda is?