• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Athlai

Not Terrible
Until I read that article I didn't realise Australia still didn't have Warne and McGrath. Vaughan knows his stuff.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Michael Vaughan is a dick.
Yeah, it's not the first time I've heard Vaughen making douche bag statements to the media. I remember him saying some stupid things last year when Trott made his debut hundred in the Ashes.

Ian Botham is another one who tends to say stupid stuff as well.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha AWTA tbh.
I was discussing this with my dad a few days ago.The likes of Botham and now Vaughan are spouting rubbish and the Aussies always have Lillee and McGrath saying the same for them.It was interesting to hear Steve Waugh who usually bags us saying we were a good side as did Gilchrist.Their opinions mean far more than the usual suspects who just like the sound of their own voice.

Can't find what Lawson has said anywhere,he is generally a fair judge and says it as it is,be interesting to see what he reckons.Thommo is another who once you get past his first sentence which is usually bravado speaks a lot of sense about both sides.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I was discussing this with my dad a few days ago.The likes of Botham and now Vaughan are spouting rubbish and the Aussies always have Lillee and McGrath saying the same for them.It was interesting to hear Steve Waugh who usually bags us saying we were a good side as did Gilchrist.Their opinions mean far more than the usual suspects who just like the sound of their own voice.

Can't find what Lawson has said anywhere,he is generally a fair judge and says it as it is,be interesting to see what he reckons.Thommo is another who once you get past his first sentence which is usually bravado speaks a lot of sense about both sides.
Wasn't Gilchrist asked that question by a English journalist or something - Then it comes as no surprise that he'd say something like that

flibbertyjibber

Wasn't Gilchrist asked that question by a English journalist or something - Then it comes as no surprise that he'd say something like that
He was but to be fair the Aussies generally like to say we are crap whether it is to an English journo or whoever.Just seemed strange to hear an Aussie be nice about an England side before the series.:laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
Think he's selling them short tbh. Johnson isn't in McGrath's class, but he can change games in half a session.
Have I mentioned that I cant wait for Johnson to reach 200 test wickets?

If only because that would put him up there with Harmison as the worst bowler to take 200 test wickets.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He was but to be fair the Aussies generally like to say we are crap whether it is to an English journo or whoever.Just seemed strange to hear an Aussie be nice about an England side before the series.:laugh:
Gilly has always been a bit of a goody goody. He probably backed Aus when asked by our media.

tooextracool

International Coach

flibbertyjibber

Cant believe that BBC would even bother publishing such a pointless article. Did anyone learn anything new here? Even Buchanan could have told you that.

Not to mention that "but suffered a 5-0 whitewash down under in the 2006-2007 series" is factually incorrect given that Vaughan didn't play in that Ashes series.
The Beeb sport site has some serious flaws in it.Some of the football coverage is abysmal especially if it is anything outside the promised land of the Premiership.

There seems to have been a definite case of dumbing down going on in that department of the Beeb.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think he's selling them short tbh. Johnson isn't in McGrath's class, but he can change games in half a session.
He certainly can. We looked dead in the water at Cardiff until he came on in that last session. And as for Lord's...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, he said it during his guest stint in the comm box for the India/Oz series. Sunny was in the box with him at the time with someone else. Can't recall who he was, but def not an Englishman.

flibbertyjibber

Nah, he said it during his guest stint in the comm box for the India/Oz series. Sunny was in the box with him at the time with someone else. Can't recall who he was, but def not an Englishman.
He said the same in an interview on Radio 5 in England,it was on BBC Sport site last week,may still be there if you look for it.

Top_Cat

If only because that would put him up there with Harmison as the worst bowler to take 200 test wickets.
Just think how he'll feel when he's the worst to take 400.

morgieb

Bit far. Crap bowlers don't take 8-60-something against a strong batting lineup.

Ruckus

International Captain
Bit far. Crap bowlers don't take 8-60-something against a strong batting lineup.
At the same time though, I think he is overrated. I would still have him in the test team, but I don't think his spot should be set in concrete like it is at the moment. People are always quick to highlight his occasional moments of brilliance, but tend to forgot all of the times he has cost the team. For a more true picture of his value to the team, you just have to look at his average: 29.06 is pretty good, but it is by no means great.

I don't like the role of Johnson as the spearhead bowler. Because his game is naturally inconsistent (and I don't think this will ever change), I think someone else should assume the role as the main bowler. Bollinger looks promising at the moment, but he seems to have some problems with consistency as well. I see Johnson as more of a partnership breaker - his unpredictability and tendency to produce a wicket-taking ball out of nowhere (even on flat wickets) is his most valuable attribute IMO.

If, however, his batting continues to worsen, and he continues to perform at the same level as the spearhead bowler, then I honestly think there could be better options out there. Copeland etc. look like they could be much better options.

Last edited: