• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah you're probably right. It's England in our backyard after all :laugh::laugh:

Really hope Usman can get some big runs in FC before the series starts. No North please

howardj

International Coach
Everyone talks about how England are going to be out here early this Summer (indeed they arrive here next Friday) and will have plenty of time to acclimatise and plenty of match practice (they have three FC games - two x three days games, and one x four day game). However, I think it's important (and this goes for Australia too) not to do too much work leading up to the Series. This is because the actual series is compacted into just 43 days (five Tests in six weeks!).

So yes, while match practice is important, geez you certainly want to be fresh for what will be a very gruelling six weeks.

tombarlow123

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That was the problem 4 years ago, though. Not enough practice before the First Test and so we weren't fit and firing and obviously the rest is history...

I don't think they've gone too far the other way, though. Three short but competitive matches over just under a month isn't too gruelling a warm up in my opinion and hopefully KP can find some damn form in one of the matches or i think i may scream...

Ruckus

International Captain
So yes, while match practice is important, geez you certainly want to be fresh for what will be a very gruelling six weeks.
Yeh especially with the fact that Bollinger, Siddle, Harris and Hilfenhaus have all had injuries in recent times.

howardj

International Coach
With five Tests in six weeks, I reckon both teams may burn through (need) five quicks during the series.

Depth will be vital.

Ruckus

International Captain
With five Tests in six weeks, I reckon both teams may burn through (need) five quicks during the series.

Depth will be vital.
What do you mean 'burn through'? As in you think there will be injuries, or just to rest players?

Woodster

International Captain
Just a quick comment on England's batting line-up, I expect it will be as said previously, with Morgan missing out. I like Morgan a lot, and I don't think they'll have any hesitation in throwing him in for say the third Test if someone has a couple of failures in the early Tests.

He didn't quite do enough in the series against Pakistan to win him a starting spot in the XI for Brisbane. He did make a ton and looked very good in doing so, but didn't quite back it up strongly enough. Great player to have as the back-up batsman, but Bell simply has to play.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was the problem 4 years ago, though. Not enough practice before the First Test and so we weren't fit and firing and obviously the rest is history...

I don't think they've gone too far the other way, though. Three short but competitive matches over just under a month isn't too gruelling a warm up in my opinion and hopefully KP can find some damn form in one of the matches or i think i may scream...
Could have been here for six months, and it wouldn't have made a difference tbh.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sturat Clarke's speed has been just as it was, getting slower and slower. The times he dropped short the other night Birt put him 20 rows back. Gotta say Brett Lee looked sluggish and not threatening at all, he has some work to do to get back in the aussie set up. Looked VERY low at the crease, and just ambled through his delivery stride. For all the crazy training he's been doing he looked cooked. Lets hope he gets his best form and speed back.
Disturbing news on Lee that.

How did Krejza look?.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well, everybody has been waiting for it on here....my 1st Test team lol

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Hauritz (good record in Australia)
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

12th - Siddle or Harris (whoever can get back to form and fitness early this Summer)
This is not a shot at your sir howard. But this is VERY serious times for AUS cricket & when i see these players continously been mentioned in possible best XIs for the 1st test i get a splitting headache.

No logical cricket reason exists in picking either of these two in the Ashes ATS. The dumb selections have to stop with immediate effect or else it will very well & cost AUS the Ashes.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No logical cricket reason exists in picking either of these two in the Ashes ATS. The dumb selections have to stop with immediate effect or else it will very well & cost AUS the Ashes.
No need to be that harsh mate. Hauritz and Smith have been the 2 spinners most recently selected and until India neither had been bad. Picking them is not some outlandish reach and would be very 'logical' if you want a spinner to pick either Hauritz or Smith. So by implication you are saying the selectors and/or community members here are stupid for picking them. You're entitled to your opinion, but keep the thinly veiled stuff to yourself.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disturbing news on Lee that.

How did Krejza look?.
I thought Krejza bowled pretty well tbh. Turns it appreciably. I'd love to watch some more of him in the Shield to see if his control has improved at all. I mean yeah he got smashed, but he did take 12 wickets on debut against India in India ffs (albeit 8-200 odd).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
No need to be that harsh mate. Hauritz and Smith have been the 2 spinners most recently selected and until India neither had been bad. Picking them is not some outlandish reach and would be very 'logical' if you want a spinner to pick either Hauritz or Smith. So by implication you are saying the selectors and/or community members here are stupid for picking them. You're entitled to your opinion, but keep the thinly veiled stuff to yourself.
Sorry, but when has Smith ever been good? He hasn't even got a very good FC record.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No sir. I clearly said at the start of that post, it wasn't an attack on mr.howardj. The rest of the post was direclty to the AUS selectors & general which also is pushing the idea of Smith possibly the Ashes & the likelihood of Hauritz being retained.

You know my position on Hauritz better than anyone on the net & ATS it is clearly makes no logical cricket sense to contine to pick Hauritz. Smith also clearly isn't good enough to play as a main spinner or good enough to bat @ # 6.

AUS should be playing 4 seamers throughout the Ashes. Failure to not do this like was the case @ home vs South Africa 2008, may very well & cost AUS the Ashes.