• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Interesting.
Sturat Clarke's speed has been just as it was, getting slower and slower. The times he dropped short the other night Birt put him 20 rows back. Gotta say Brett Lee looked sluggish and not threatening at all, he has some work to do to get back in the aussie set up. Looked VERY low at the crease, and just ambled through his delivery stride. For all the crazy training he's been doing he looked cooked. Lets hope he gets his best form and speed back.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Sturat Clarke's speed has been just as it was, getting slower and slower. The times he dropped short the other night Birt put him 20 rows back. Gotta say Brett Lee looked sluggish and not threatening at all, he has some work to do to get back in the aussie set up. Looked VERY low at the crease, and just ambled through his delivery stride. For all the crazy training he's been doing he looked cooked. Lets hope he gets his best form and speed back.
Lee looked like he'd put on weight actually

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Lee looked like he'd put on weight actually
Was gonna say that too, but didnt want to be too harsh! But yes, not just a bit of weight either, looked like he was running with pads on, very sluggish, and got totally hammered. As we've all seen through Lee's career, he aint no line and length 133km's bowler, if he aint bowling 145+ he is just fodder for even the most average international batsman.

howardj

International Coach
Well, everybody has been waiting for it on here....my 1st Test team lol

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Hauritz (good record in Australia)
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

12th - Siddle or Harris (whoever can get back to form and fitness early this Summer)

Ruckus

International Captain
Well, everybody has been waiting for it on here....my 1st Test team lol

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Hauritz (good record in Australia)
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

12th - Siddle or Harris (whoever can get back to form and fitness early this Summer)
Looks pretty good to me, but I would take out Hauritz and replace him with Harris, or if unfit, Siddle. Smith, Clarke, and Katich are easily enough for a bit of spin if needed.

That being said though, I think the team will almost certainly be this:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Siddle
Bollinger

Which is exactly the same team for most of the last Ashes minus Bollinger.

howardj

International Coach
Pom batting lineup hasn't changed much over the years hey.

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Collingwood
Bell (sherminator :laugh:)

I think five of the six were there in 2005.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't he love that 1st Test at the Gabba!!

And in particular the 1st Ashes Test there.

Peeled off some great centuries there over the years.
I think if Punter averages below 50 we'll lose the Ashes IMO. When Ponting fires so does everyone else.

Like I've said before, I can just imagine the crest-fallen, white pale reactions when Ponting gets dismissed cheaply as the whole dressing room looks at the ground in disbelief and dismay.

howardj

International Coach
Loved that in 2006 he would have been thinking for a whole year beforehand - "Got to get a big ton to kick start the Ashes series at the Gabba".

Then he came out...and it was chanceless.

TumTum

Banned
Like I've said before, I can just imagine the crest-fallen, white pale reactions when Ponting gets dismissed cheaply as the whole dressing room looks at the ground in disbelief and dismay.
Oh Aussies are not that soft. Pretty sure the next batsmen will come out and play just as positively. No mucking about in a home Ashes series!

TumTum

Banned
Loved that in 2006 he would have been thinking for a whole year beforehand - "Got to get a big ton to kick start the Ashes series at the Gabba".

Then he came out...and it was chanceless.
Will be much harder scoring runs there this time around.

I will go to the MCG match and I can guarantee you that he will score a 100 there :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Oh Aussies are not that soft. Pretty sure the next batsmen will come out and play just as positively. No mucking about in a home Ashes series!
How many times have the middle order clicked without the help of a Ponting knock

TumTum

Banned
How many times have the middle order clicked without the help of a Ponting knock
Don't worry mate, all our batsmen will be up and firing even if Ponting fails. This is the only series where all other series beforehand are kinda irrelevant. :sleep: