• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Julian87

State Captain
Ryan Harris on comeback trail | Fox Sports

That's the latest article I read mate. Seems he reinjured himself last month, but he's still aiming for the first Test, maybe the 3rd. But I imagine that the selectors wouldn't be too keen to throw him back in straight away after an injury. He's not first choice anyway. He'll have to prove himself in state cricket like Siddle.

This part was a bit discouraging:
"I hate mentioning it, but Alex and I have spoken about it, just playing limited overs.
"It is an option if things get to that but I will cross that bridge when I get to it."

Another quick bowler who can't handle the longer format?

I think George is still ahead of Siddle and Harris right now.
The only way george will be ahead of either is if neither are fit. Not only are the other 2 much better bowlers at this point, but considering their only real chance of playing in a full strength team is ahead of Hauritz, both are much, much better with the bat than George considering they'd probably have to bat number 9.

The reason Clark was dropped is because the pace of his SA 05 - WI 08 peak was gone when he was seen in the Ashes last summer. To the pace of Pollock & Chaminda Vaas " the flag end of their test careers. Which reduces his efffectiveness @ to only a super greentop & given pitches are so flat these days. He would useless most of the time.
Honestly think it was Clark's first innings bowling that won us this game:

4th Test: England v Australia at Leeds, Aug 7-9, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Siddle received the accolades but Clark bowled better, and despite getting some stick in the second dig, it was the first innings that decided the game considering Australia had an innings in hand. And that's not even mentioning that of Siddle's 5-fa 3 were genuine tailenders and the ball was seaming.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
And I'll add that while Clark wasn't very effective in the 5th test he did bowl steadily as a 4th seamer (australia's batting lost them that match), something Ponting yearns for atm as his 4th out and out bowler has consistently underperformed including not being able to bowl tightly when they can't break through.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Shane Watson really fancies himself as a bit of an actor doesn't he, was really trying hard to make his lines sound good. In contrast, Dougeh really didn't seem too bothered by the whole thing, like a bored schoolchild forced to read a paragraph from the class English book. Also, judging by that evidence, Steve Smith won't be following Warney into the commentary box once his career's done, didn't appear to quite have the voice for commentary.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bring. It. On.

And here in India we have ****ing Bollywood stars whetting our appetites before series with lame lines like "Watch the No. 1 Test team take on the No. 1 ODI team on Neo Sports". **** off. 8-)
Oh I hate those. Make me want to vomit.

Hate voiceovers in these kinds of ads in general. Just show some famous footage, like that, and be done.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Andrew Mcdonald with more lines than Nathan Hauritz. Lock him in for the 1st Test.

Some good commercials by CA.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty funny hearing White say "Benaud" - I mean everyone else named a player who is a similar type of player at least!

I loved the commercial!
Well, White's a leggie, isn't he? :p

That "How it feels..." ad is pretty ordinary compared to the first one, TBF.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Read an article in the Advertiser today about some 'Pro Batter' device, suppose to replicate particular bowling styles, Nielson pretty much shunned it, seems to me like it would be a useful enough investment, oh I'm not feeling lucky for this Ashes. Must remember that we won large parts of the last series & we've a home ground advantage.

Spark

Global Moderator
Marcus North pulls off a monster spoof with a straight face in the middle of that when he claims to have hit a ball with the middle of his bat.
To be fair to him he had a good Ashes last time. Although became so reliant on Michael Clarke and/or Brad Haddin it became silly.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would. As good as he's been finishing in ODI's, he's only sporadically hit tons for SA on the best batting deck in the country. Massive hole in his resume.
Agreed

It would be a massive slap in the face to a number of far more qualified candidates