• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I wouldn't consider Ferguson a terrible pick if it weren't for someone as (reportedly) good as Khawaja being available as an alternative.
I would. As good as he's been finishing in ODI's, he's only sporadically hit tons for SA on the best batting deck in the country. Massive hole in his resume.

Top_Cat

The Ashes 2010-11 : Pietersen 'confident' after stint in South Africa | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | Cricinfo.com

Hate to bring up the fact that I saw the film Major League 2 but Pietersen has been Pedro Cerrano-esque with some of his comments. On top of a couple of relative failures in SA and an ordinary time of it in general, "Was great to just be out in the sunshine." and in response to Ponting having a dig at him, waxes lyrical about how awesome Ponting is. Just imagining him getting out for a duck, shrugging his shoulders, smiling then walking off.

Fire the **** up, tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like others, I do think that Roebuck can be over the top and off the mark at times, but that is a well balanced and sensible article. He doesn't have a go at Clarke, he is just pointing out perceptions and instances which give rise to these perceptions.

Was a good read.
Yeah. Whilst I don't buy into the theory one bit that one must look aggressive, tough, and generally difficult to be an agressive, tough captain (Mark Taylor, anyone? He responded to the nickname Tubby FFS, but is still the best captain of our "golden era"), far too many of his dismissals have been an exercise in frustration.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sounds like Haddin will be. Siddle's workload is being "managed", according to Cricket Victoria, I don't think he'll have done enough to convince anyone that he'll be one of the first three pace bowlers selected.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely even if Siddle were fit, you can't drop any of Mitch, Hilf or Bollinger (unless Bollinger wasn't fit, which he will be).

Big fan of Siddle, but those 3 pace bowlers seem set. Only way Siddle could fit into the team were if Hauritz did not play at the Gabba, which is very unlikely.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surely even if Siddle were fit, you can't drop any of Mitch, Hilf or Bollinger (unless Bollinger wasn't fit, which he will be).

Big fan of Siddle, but those 3 pace bowlers seem set. Only way Siddle could fit into the team were if Hauritz did not play at the Gabba, which is very unlikely.
You mean very stupid if he did play.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like Haddin will be. Siddle's workload is being "managed", according to Cricket Victoria, I don't think he'll have done enough to convince anyone that he'll be one of the first three pace bowlers selected.
Whats the latest on Harris?.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah, Siddle is not one of Australia's best three quicks at the moment. I may be wrong but I think the last time he was actually fit he was out of the team anyway.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whats the latest on Harris?.
Ryan Harris on comeback trail | Fox Sports

That's the latest article I read mate. Seems he reinjured himself last month, but he's still aiming for the first Test, maybe the 3rd. But I imagine that the selectors wouldn't be too keen to throw him back in straight away after an injury. He's not first choice anyway. He'll have to prove himself in state cricket like Siddle.

This part was a bit discouraging:
"I hate mentioning it, but Alex and I have spoken about it, just playing limited overs.
"It is an option if things get to that but I will cross that bridge when I get to it."

Another quick bowler who can't handle the longer format?

I think George is still ahead of Siddle and Harris right now.

Top_Cat

As I've said before, Harris has a big engine and is a tough bloke and I'd be surprised if he doesn't pop up for another Test or two but think he's going to be in and out of contention from now on due to injury, although the Synvisc injections give plenty of hope.

That said, the competition is fierce and even in top form, I'd have the current trio in ahead of him and he's probably a touch below Siddle. But what a back-up player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I've said before, Harris has a big engine and is a tough bloke and I'd be surprised if he doesn't pop up for another Test or two but think he's going to be in and out of contention from now on due to injury, although the Synvisc injections give plenty of hope.

That said, the competition is fierce and even in top form, I'd have the current trio in ahead of him and he's probably a touch below Siddle. But what a back-up player.
Yeah I agree with all of that. He should definitely be in the ODI team whenever he's fit though IMO - Johnson and especially Hilfenhaus haven't been nearly as effective in one day cricket to date.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When fit, my Test match pecking order at present:

Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Bollinger
Harris
Siddle
George
I'd go:

Bollinger
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Siddle
Harris
McKay
George
Geeves

I've listed a longer one because I think all of those players could do a job at Test level. That's just my personal order though - the selectors definitely won't pick Clark ever again IMO and the order of their top three is probably Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger (something neither of us have gone for despite both picking those three players in our top three, haha). Copeland would be right up there ahead of McKay if he'd played a bit more cricket - I really like the look of him and he's started his career excellently, he just needs to prove it for a little bit longer. Those bottom three are all incredibly equal in my eyes; I'm sort of surprised Geeves didn't get more of a mention when we were searching for backup bowlers in India. Cutting took a lot of wickets last season too but I don't really rate him ITBT, so I've left him off, but I reckon the selectors would have him in the mix as well.

I'd have Nannes in the mix too if he was fully fit, but he never really is so he's basically irrelevant.

Last edited:

morgieb

I'd go:

Bollinger
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Siddle
Harris
McKay
George
Geeves

I've listed a longer one because I think all of those players could do a job at Test level. That's just my personal order though - the selectors definitely won't pick Clark ever again IMO and the order of their top three is probably Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger (something neither of us have gone for despite both picking those three players in our top three, haha). Copeland would be right up there ahead of McKay if he'd played a bit more cricket - I really like the look of him and he's started his career excellently, he just needs to prove it for a little bit longer. Those bottom three are all incredibly equal in my eyes; I'm sort of surprised Geeves didn't get more of a mention when we were searching for backup bowlers in India. Cutting took a lot of wickets last season too but I don't really rate him ITBT, so I've left him off, but I reckon the selectors would have him in the mix as well.

I'd have Nannes in the mix too if he was fully fit, but he never really is so he's basically irrelevant.
Nannes doesn't even play FC cricket anymore. :p

I'd go

Johnson
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus
Harris
Clark
Siddle
McKay
etc.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go:

Bollinger
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Siddle
Harris
McKay
George
Geeves

Well if we are talking about test cricket. Nannes wouldn't be considered anymore unfortunately anyway since he has retired from FC cricket. He should be right up there in the pecking order for ODI selection however.

But sorry my friend. But no way should Clark, McKay & Geeves be any pecking order for tests.

The reason Clark was dropped is because the pace of his SA 05 - WI 08 peak was gone when he was seen in the Ashes last summer. To the pace of Pollock & Chaminda Vaas " the flag end of their test careers. Which reduces his efffectiveness @ to only a super greentop & given pitches are so flat these days. He would useless most of the time.

McKay is straight up & down. Doesn't do naything with the ball. Could be decent for another nation, but AUS can do better than him @ test level.

Geeves could be sorta useful in ODIs. But i wont have near to a test side for AUS. I'd more pick young bowlers like Starc, George, Pattinson before i look @ McKay & Geeves for tests.

The pecking order once all are fit is basically what Howardj highlighted really.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd go:

Bollinger
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Siddle
Harris
McKay
George
Geeves

Pretty sure that Geeves had a back injury in the off-season. And Nannes has retired from FC cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Geeves is just an OD bowler. Would definitely be picking him ahead of Starc and Pattinson, at this stage for Test matches, no doubt in my mind.

Pattinson still has massive injury concerns hanging over him for mine, hasn't been fit for a whole year since he was about 16 or 17.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So what are peoples intentions for the Ashes? Sadly its my last exam on the 25th so I'll miss the first day but ive booked the friday off, the friday and monday for the second test and the thursday and friday off for the third test so I'll be putting some all nighters in. I'm sure there are plenty joining me?