Page 70 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1942

Thread: *Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Have to say I'm a fan of Brad Haddin, and from an England perspective, think it'll benefit us should Paine remain behind the stumps. That said, he's looked competent behind the stumps in India in very testing keeping conditions with the ball reaching him on the half volley on a number of occasions. Difficult to judge his standing up to the stumps on this tour due to Hauritz's inability to get if past what has seemed a very wide Indian bat.

Haddin's strokeplay can be most exhilarating and his positivity certainly makes him a more threatening opponent than Paine at this stage, who showed what he can do with the stick. He applied himself very well, remained patient till he got acquainted with the tracks, then extended his array of strokes. He looks a decent back-up keeper, but for me Haddin edges it on all fronts also.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Have to say I'm a fan of Brad Haddin, and from an England perspective, think it'll benefit us should Paine remain behind the stumps. That said, he's looked competent behind the stumps in India in very testing keeping conditions with the ball reaching him on the half volley on a number of occasions. Difficult to judge his standing up to the stumps on this tour due to Hauritz's inability to get if past what has seemed a very wide Indian bat.

Haddin's strokeplay can be most exhilarating and his positivity certainly makes him a more threatening opponent than Paine at this stage, who showed what he can do with the stick. He applied himself very well, remained patient till he got acquainted with the tracks, then extended his array of strokes. He looks a decent back-up keeper, but for me Haddin edges it on all fronts also.
    Indeed. If AUS are in a position during the Ashes where the score is 300 for 5. Haddin is the man i'd want to see stepping out.

vcs
    But many posters are making the point that Paine would be the better man if it was 150-5, and Australia have often found themselves in that position in recent times. I haven't watched Haddin's glovework closely enough to compare him with Paine, but Paine certainly lends more "solidity" from what I've seen of their batting.

Thought Johnson was poor today, he needed to lead the attack on the last day especially with the problems Hauritz was having in finding any penetration, but he was pretty woeful. There was only Hilfenhaus that gained any appreciable movement, and was without the doubt the most impressive throughout this series.

It would be harsh to be too critical on George, on debut, but he has a long way to go before he is picked consistently at this level. Of course the pitches were not conducive to his bowling, but with the supposed McGrath-esque accuracy sadly absent, he looked really ordinary to me. Is he much more effective in Aussie conditions or am I being overly critical ?

The options of Bollinger, Harris, Siddle, Hazlewood, Clark for a short-term measure, when they're all fit give the depth of bowling a better look, because I don't think George should be so close to the Test side at this stage, however I am only judging him on this Test, which can be construde as being a tad unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Indeed. If AUS are in a position during the Ashes where the score is 300 for 5. Haddin is the man i'd want to see stepping out.
    Personally would take one of Haddin's counter-attacking innings at 100-5 rather than rely on Paine to grind it out, on the basis I just hold Haddin in a higher regard, although I understand why people may favour Paine's style in a more backs-to-the-wall position.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    But many posters are making the point that Paine would be the better man if it was 150-5, and Australia have often found themselves in that position in recent times. I haven't watched Haddin's glovework closely enough to compare him with Paine, but Paine certainly lends more "solidity" from what I've seen of their batting.
    Should their top order fire a little more, then 150-5 should be the exception rather than the rule. Even so, would still back Haddin and his approach to have more success at this stage of their respective careers.

vcs
    How do people see Ponting going against Swann? I think it could be a great contest, considering how well Ponting played spin in India, but Swann is in great form himself, the world's most threatening spinner ATM and never short of confidence.

Yes. But for me the many collapses AUS have had can be reduced significantly if they soldify back the top 6. By dropping North, Huhges to open & Katich back into the middle-order & Hussey/or another in form domestic player like Khawaja/Bailey. Thus Haddin plays.

But Haddin also definately needs to work on his consistently or else regardless of the fact that he is better batsman, Paine can certainly still replacement him very soon.

How do people see Ponting going against Swann? I think it could be a great contest, considering how well Ponting played spin in India, but Swann is in great form himself, the world's most threatening spinner ATM and never short of confidence.
    Will be one of the battles of the series no doubt. Although i sort of reckon AUS left-hander will have more trouble againts him.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster
    Personally would take one of Haddin's counter-attacking innings at 100-5 rather than rely on Paine to grind it out, on the basis I just hold Haddin in a higher regard, although I understand why people may favour Paine's style in a more backs-to-the-wall position.
    Indeed.

YouTube - Graeme Swann to Ricky Ponting...

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Should be in the "Cricket on Youtube" thread IMO.

Gavaskar was praising Swann's flight and drift a lot while commentating on the recent series BTW, called him the best spinner in the world by a distance.

No doubt he'll to be positive against Swann, a battle Swann will no doubt relish. It's one area we should have a big advantage over the Aussies, the spin department, and could be the difference especially with it being, imo, two very well matched sides.

Swann will love Ponting's hard hands pushing at him early, and Bell may well be in play at short leg. That memory of the Swann ball that drifted away from Ponting and turned sharply through the gate in the last Ashes will still be fresh in both their memories, and I'm sure Swann will look to drag him outside off again. Depending on the sharpness of turn available it will obviously dictate how far outside off he'll look to turn in back in from, but it promises to be a top battle.

vcs
    I actually think Swann should also consider coming around the wicket and trying to trap him LBW because he doesn't push too hard at the ball anymore. He's certainly worked on that aspect and improved.

But yeah, it should be fun because they are both attacking and positive by nature.

TBF doesn't lunge forward & push @ spinners with hard hands early in his innings really anymore.

Absolutely he has improved on that aspect, but still goes at it too hard for me, still think it'll be an area Swann will look to exploit.

Thread Information