• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Main 3 bowlers or 4 bowlers. Doesnt matter what you want to call him, once he is in the team.

If you have Bollinger/Hilfy/Johnson/Harris in the team i suggested in Brisbane in those condtions. Why would you need McDonald to back them up when you already have Watson, who can back then up if needed?.

Their is aboslutely no way McDonald could replicate that FC average of his if he played test cricket regularly. He is not that good. I already articulated to you how McDonald was weak link in those matches he played vs SA.
Firstly, you're assuming that a fit to bowl Watson will turn up in Brisbane

That wasnt the case in India so I hope a miracle cure has been discovered in the meantime

Secondly, you've weakened Australia's already dodgy batting lineup by ensuring our tail starts at 8. Sorry but that prospect doesnt exactly fill me with joy

Thirdly, you've taken ONE McDonald bowling performance (in a match where he scored 68 btw) and somehow drawn the conclusion that it's representative of his career.

He averages 33 with the ball in test cricket not 103 and for the most part, SA couldnt hit him off the square i.e. he'll do the job

As I've said earlier, IF the weather forecast for Brisbane is correct then McDonald would be a good bet because you know what you'll get

BTW< Harris is highly unlikely to be fit so talk of him is wishful thinking in the extreme

Flem274*

123/5
Is this the same Hughes that scored nearly 1000 runs in the last Aussie fc season and battered the Kiwis in the second innings of his only test since being dropped?

Runs are runs and if we ignore them on the basis of aesthetics then guys like Sehwag, Amla, and Chanderpaul would never have been given another go at test cricket
Yeah, that Hughes.

Runs against NZ. Hard to come by these days with our bowling attack.

He got shown up in England and I reckon he has a bit to work on before returning to the test side.

And lol at the aesthetics. I never said he shouldn't be picked because he's ugly. Geez, I support Sinclair and Ingram.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, that Hughes.

Runs against NZ. Hard to come by these days with our bowling attack.

He got shown up in England and I reckon he has a bit to work on before returning to the test side.

And lol at the aesthetics. I never said he shouldn't be picked because he's ugly. Geez, I support Sinclair and Ingram.
Why are you setting different criteria for Hughes than others?

He was dropped, scored nearly 1000 runs last season and succeeded in his comeback test

If he scores runs in the leadup to the first test (i.e. is in form this year) then I honestly dont know what else people can ask of him.

IMO, the only way we'll find out whether the Ashes was merely an aberration (as opposed to a fatal flaw) is to actually play him

Flem274*

123/5
Why are you setting different criteria for Hughes than others?

He was dropped, scored nearly 1000 runs last season and succeeded in his comeback test

If he scores runs in the leadup to the first test (i.e. is in form this year) then I honestly dont know what else people can ask of him.

IMO, the only way we'll find out whether the Ashes was merely an aberration (as opposed to a fatal flaw) is to actually play him
Agreed, but do you want to risk it in the Ashes when Watto/Katman is a good opening partnership anyway?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: with the exception of one innings in India, he's barely laid bat on ball for 12 months

The guy is a walking wicket these days and Australia is in deep **** if we're relying on him to score runs
As i already articluated in that post. Johnson's average year with the blade has been down to mainly him getting out to poor shots, rather than a sign of him losing his batting ability.

I fully expect him to contribue in a few innings over the course of Ashes, once he bats more responsibly. If you dont, i'm not going to try to convince you otherwise ATM. Performances in the Ashes shall prove this.

Once a proper strong top 6 is picked with North dropped. Then AUS should & woudl not be relying on him to score runs at all. Just for example if he comes it with AUS 400/6, TO score a good quick-wire 30-50.

social said:
Firstly, you're assuming that a fit to bowl Watson will turn up in Brisbane

That wasnt the case in India so I hope a miracle cure has been discovered in the meantime

Secondly, you've weakened Australia's already dodgy batting lineup by ensuring our tail starts at 8. Sorry but that prospect doesnt exactly fill me with joy

Thirdly, you've taken ONE McDonald bowling performance (in a match where he scored 68 btw) and somehow drawn the conclusion that it's representative of his career.

He averages 33 with the ball in test cricket not 103 and for the most part, SA couldnt hit him off the square i.e. he'll do the job

As I've said earlier, IF the weather forecast for Brisbane is correct then McDonald would be a good bet because you know what you'll get

BTW< Harris is highly unlikely to be fit so talk of him is wishful thinking in the extreme.

Even if Watson is 100 % fiit as he was in India (he has looked this lazy & latargic since the NZ series earlier this year & took those 5 wicket hauls vs PAK). If Brisbane conditions do turn out to be as you suggest. He would be far more effective than McDonald in such a line-up, if needeed to bowl as the 5th bowling option behind the 4-main quicks. So no need to pick McDonald.

I've already articulated my position on Johnson above. By no means in the XI i chosen would that tail start from # 8 with him. The likes of Hilfenahaus & Harris/Siddle are no joke tailedners, they certainly can contribute.

McDonald scored that 68 with AUS basically having no hope of winning, with no pressure to perform. His batting is not good enought to give consistent runs @ # 6/7 @ test level for AUS.

As i laready said, it wasn't as if the SA batsmen couildn't hit him off the square. They where rather never in a position to in the first two test TO HIT him him off the square, because of how superb Johnson/Hifly/Siddle bowled in the 1st two test. Especially Johnson who shocked them with amount of inswing he got in SA - they certainly wouldn't have expected that based on what they faced from him in AUS. The SA batsmen where never in a position to be able to take of advantage of McDonald since he was an obvious weaklink, until the final test @ Capetown when they got accustomed to the AUS pace trio on flat pitch & absolutely slaughtered McDonald. So McDonald bowling tight in those 1st two test in SA was him feeding of the pressure Johnson/Siddle/Hilfy created.

If conditions are correct as you suggest. I would pick Harris, Siddle or George (form & fitness permitting) over McDonald without a doubt. Since they would clearly provide a more wicket-taking threat in such conditions.

We shall see what happens with Harris between now & the 1st test. Even if he isn't fit, the likes of Siddle or George should be next in line.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ever stopped to wonder why that might be the case?
Ha, no.

Enough people always agree with my POVs on this site at a given time in a thread. The world of cricket POVs/opinions does not end on CW.net. So i dont care if the majority of the CW regulars & elitist dont with sotimeme i say at a given time, since i dont come on here to change minds - but rather to state my positions on various cricket matters.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ha, no.

Enough people always agree with my POVs on this site at a given time in a thread. The world of cricket POVs/opinions does not end on CW.net. So i dont care if the majority of the CW regulars & elitist dont with sotimeme i say at a given time, since i dont come on here to change minds - but rather to state my positions on various cricket matters.
State your opinion? More like drilling it in. Can't basically tell the difference between your various posts and its basically like copying and pasting what you told in the previous post. Repetition - one word to describe your posting style.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Guys, stop discussing aussie and talk about the Ashes. He should be allowed to have a discussion without people discussing the discussion.

And Shri if you reply to or completely ignore this, I'll campaign for your banning. So much ****-stirring from you lately; keep a lid on it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Johnson is a shocking batsman he gets out to anything that moves a fraction be it spin,seam or swing has a good eye I agree but he's weak #8.

Julian87

State Captain
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
North
McDonald
Haddin
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

North could possibly be an afforded luxury in that lineup. If he tons up, he tons up. With two more consistent players either side of him the risk of collapse is greatly reduced. Haddin bats below McDonald as I reckon he has the better game suited to batting with the tail, can pile on some quick runs.
I just can't stomach McDonald batting ahead of Haddin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just can't stomach McDonald batting ahead of Haddin.
Yeah, Marcuss has a serious man-crush on McDonald so I knew he'd put him in the team (and he can back it up too) but I laughed when I saw him listed ahead of Haddin.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
If Hauritz plays I want him batting ahead of Johnson. Johnson can do the same damage from number 9 and Hauritz is a much better foil (and all round batsman IMO) for a top 7 player, especially Haddin.

Flem274*

123/5
Unfortuantely no. Those two in it make it weak for obvious reasons.
Hauritz is a good spinner, especially for home conditions, and you shouldn't throw both Khwaja and Smith into the lions den for the Ashes.

Give Smith half or one more season imo.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Ronald McDonald is picked for the ashes,won't score runs or take wickets.To be honest though he won't be picked,if he is the Aussies have serious problems.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hauritz is a good spinner, especially for home conditions, and you shouldn't throw both Khwaja and Smith into the lions den for the Ashes.

Give Smith half or one more season imo.
Hauritz wont be a good spinner in AUS conditions once ENG bat properly. He will again fail to spin out ENG if he gets a wearing 5th day wicket as i always say. No talk of Hauritz playing in the AUS team should be around ATM, i really dont know how more of him some people need to see in tests, before to come to conclusion that he is a useless test spinner. SMH..

I personally have never advocated Smith being picked. Shouldn't be near the Ashes squad selection at any point of this series.

Khawaja has a very good chance of playing.

My XI for brisbane once all are fit as i listed before:

Watson
Katich/Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich/Khawaja
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris/Siddle/George
Hilfy
Doug

Katich/Hughes/Khawaja:

Obviously those two youngster are the front runners to come if North is dropped. AUS would have to decide how they want to balance the team, based on whichever one of them is chosen.

- Either pick Hughes & let him open with Watson & drop Katman down the middle-order

- Stick with Watson/Kat opening, since some may feel reluctant to trouble that partnership ATM for the Ashes. Given in this period of batting collapses, those two have generally been the most solid & consistently run scoring pair for AUS

Harris/Siddle/George:

Basically depends of domestic form & fitness. Harris is the 1st choice, but injury is keeping him back. So if he where to not make it, domestic form of Siddle & George would decide who plays @ Brisbane.

Last edited: