• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's incredibly annoying that the selectors have failed to do anything about Hussey/North for so long making it much more difficult to drop them so close to a big test series. Neverthless, I'd have

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Siddle/Harris

Woodster

International Captain
It's incredibly annoying that the selectors have failed to do anything about Hussey/North for so long making it much more difficult to drop them so close to a big test series. Neverthless, I'd have

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Siddle/Harris
As an Englishman, it would please me should this line-up take to the field at Brisbane. Would certainly fancy our chances of getting stuck into that middle order, probably because of its inexperience. Would rather see those boys walking out rather than a Mike Hussey, but that may be more to do with what Hussey has been capable of in the past, rather than his current capabilities.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As an Englishman, it would please me should this line-up take to the field at Brisbane. Would certainly fancy our chances of getting stuck into that middle order, probably because of its inexperience. Would rather see those boys walking out rather than a Mike Hussey, but that may be more to do with what Hussey has been capable of in the past, rather than his current capabilities.
Hussey has been averaging worse than North in the past two years tbf

Flem274*

123/5
Don't see why everyone is pumping for young guns. How long have they been on the scene? To me it makes more sense to select experienced replacements like Brad Hodge for such an important series. It's not as though Hodge is a crap batsman. Give the young guys a couple more years to be gun in a strong FC competition and bring them in when it isn't the Ashes series.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see why everyone is pumping for young guns. How long have they been on the scene? To me it makes more sense to select experienced replacements like Brad Hodge for such an important series. It's not as though Hodge is a crap batsman. Give the young guys a couple more years to be gun in a strong FC competition and bring them in when it isn't the Ashes series.
I was tempted to get Hodge in the middle order but Smith can offer a lil something something with the ball and I think Usman could potentially bat at no.3 when Ponting calls it quits so I see no need to delay bringing them in

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hodge has retired from First Class Cricket mate.

Not too many experienced batsman are playing first class cricket at the moment..

Flem274*

123/5
I was tempted to get Hodge in the middle order but Smith can offer a lil something something with the ball and I think Usman could potentially bat at no.3 when Ponting calls it quits so I see no need to delay bringing them in
Australia should pick with the Ashes in mind I think. Time enough for experimenting with youngsters afterwards. Hodge will see you guys right.

Flem274*

123/5
Hodge has retired from First Class Cricket mate.

Not too many experienced batsman are playing first class cricket at the moment..
Woah, when did that happen?

David Hussey and Michael Klinger? Older heads with plenty of runs are the way to go in a more brittle middle order in a huge series I reckon.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I saw the South Africa series and only saw highlights of most of the India series.
But let's just say, I'll be ecstatic if Hilfenhaus looks a million dollars this Ashes and carries on averaging 50 on flat decks.

Which qualifies as bowling well apparently.
Hey, it worked for Jimmeh in The Ashes :happy:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ha well compared to what i've been reading here in the last few pages. Its good to see someone else basically saying what i'm saying. At times arguing on CW can be like a lonely walk on a deserted road.
Ever stopped to wonder why that might be the case?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Woah, when did that happen?

David Hussey and Michael Klinger? Older heads with plenty of runs are the way to go in a more brittle middle order in a huge series I reckon.
Just before Christmas last year - Hodge|retirement|Cricket|australia

D Hussey will be doing really well if he gets back into our ODI team. I don't think he's the worst option, like I'm sure he'd perform okay, but having 2 Hussey's or David in for Michael doesn't seem that excellent an option right now. Perhaps 3 years ago, but nah not now.

Klinger would still be a pretty big bolter if he were to make the team. The same goes for someone like Adam Voges too. If Klinger had of made 214 the other day and Khawaja made 0 & 2 I think his name would be talked about by someone other than Pasag.

The selectors have identified that Phil Hughes and Usman Khawaja are the next best batsman in the country and I'm very happy for them to give both these players a chance.

Failing that, I'm a big George Bailey fan and at 28 and captain of Tasmania he's quite experienced now.

Flem274*

123/5
Phil Hughes shouldn't play imo, but if you're that low on sure bets then one of Smith and Khawaja would be all right I guess. North isn't that bad. He's going to put you in awesome positions one in four innings.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Phil Hughes shouldn't play imo, but if you're that low on sure bets then one of Smith and Khawaja would be all right I guess. North isn't that bad. He's going to put you in awesome positions one in four innings.
Taking away the bowling and the fielding do you think that Steve Smith is a better bat over Phil Hughes?

Smith's batting is extremely overrated for mine.

Flem274*

123/5
Taking away the bowling and the fielding do you think that Steve Smith is a better bat over Phil Hughes?

Smith's batting is extremely overrated for mine.
So is Hughes though. Hughes is found out atm.

I don't know enough about Smith to comment.

social

So is Hughes though. Hughes is found out atm.

I don't know enough about Smith to comment.
Is this the same Hughes that scored nearly 1000 runs in the last Aussie fc season and battered the Kiwis in the second innings of his only test since being dropped?

Runs are runs and if we ignore them on the basis of aesthetics then guys like Sehwag, Amla, and Chanderpaul would never have been given another go at test cricket

social

As i said. Given i have seen him bat in all those tests. Most of his dismissals have been more down to hit getting out to dumb/overly aggressive shots, instead of him looking technically exposed & getting out one way all time. Which if that where the case, then that would have been a HUGE problem.

But given that hasn't been the case, i am confident once he focuses more when he bats. He will score more consistently, i have no worries.
:laugh: with the exception of one innings in India, he's barely laid bat on ball for 12 months

The guy is a walking wicket these days and Australia is in deep **** if we're relying on him to score runs