• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

aussie tragic

International Captain
Watto very adamant in that interview that he wants to open. I wonder if he feels that he has to try to set his stall out because the selectors might move him, or whether it was just an attempt to be confident about opening.
I'm sure he'd accept the # 3 spot of the legends of Ricky Ponting and Ian Chapell if offered...just need to convince Ricky that it's in the best interest of the Team so that Watto can bowl more....

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure he'd accept the # 3 spot of the legends of Ricky Ponting and Ian Chapell if offered...just need to convince Ricky that it's in the best interest of the Team so that Watto can bowl more....
Well yes, I'm sure he would but... he seems to worship Ponting. I'm not sure he'd want it unless Ponting was retired.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think I agree with f_o_s. Monty's figures suggest he's bowled well, but Rashid is the more rounded cricketer. If Swanneh treads on a bar of soap on the morning of a test I'd be happier to see Rashid coming in. A 9-10-11 of Anderson-Finn-Panesar would be scary.

Also gives us the option of 5 bowlers if the situation merits it too.

Don't think Bres's bowling has quite enough about it in tests either, so Shahzad with his reverse swing the better option.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The idea of a young English leg spinner making his Test debut in an Ashes Test in Australia is a seriously worrying prospect - he might succeed I suppose, but I suspect its much more likely that after his first spell it'll be 0-50 in four overs and hiding in the outfield for the rest of the game - I'd take Monty as second spinner (well actually given a free hand I'd take Gary Keedy but there's no way that will happen with the selecors we have)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah agree with Brumby about that lower order and about the importance of Rashid's batting. England may be regretting not having blooded Rashid in Test cricket before now. I imagine they reckoned he wouldn't be ready for this Ashes series come what may; and if so that might mean that they won't pick him now.

I'd be reluctant to get carried away with Monty's performance this season. He did ok but in truth he was far from outstanding in a far from outstanding Sussex bowling side which feasted on some inept batting in Div 2 and which without exception managed to achieve some pretty remarkable bowling stats.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Watson is an awesome opener. But I'm not convinced Hughes couldn't play the same attacking role as Watto does, with Watto batting in the middle-order. I'm thinking;

Katich
Hughes (or Jaques for that matter)
Ponting
Clarke
Watson
Hussey
Haddin
Smith/Hauritz
Johnston
Hilfenhous
Bollinger

Not going to happen though...

Julian87

State Captain
As someone posted in another thread; if either Watson or Katich are demoted, I'd like to see them go to 3 with Ponting, Clarke and Hussey shuffling down a touch.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I went to bed last night praying that today when the squad is announced, the names Rashid, Tredwell, Panesar & Bresnan shouldn't be in it.

Outside of obvious XI that played in last home test vs PAK (Bell replacing Morgan of course). The other 5 memebers really should be:

Morgan
Davies
Tremlett
Shazad
Lyth/Carberry/Hildreth

I cant see it no other way persoanlly.

Lyth/Carberry/Hildreth:

This is a important squad place, since AFAICS England have to cater for the strong likelihood that Cook will be exposed technically again by the AUS quicks & his place will come into question. Thus either another open needs to be in the main squad or if they dont have faith in Lyth/Carberry (well i dont) - pick another middle-order batsman (which would mean Trott will reluctantly have to play as makeshift opener in the event of Cook failing again).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why on earth do you pick 3 back up batsmen (including Davies who could do a job in an emergency) but only 2 back-up bowlers (neither of which is a spinner)

Clearly one of Monty and Adil should and will be in the 16, and I suspect it'll be Monty.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He averaged 40 with the bat. :p

Averaged ~30 with the ball, which is decent but probably not international standard.
You forget where he plays half his games though,Headingley is a bad place to play for a spinner so to have a decent overall record is actually good for spinner.

flibbertyjibber

Sounds like we are going with the 7 bats we used this summer,Prior and Davies as keepers and Tremlett is getting the nod over Bresnan.The only bit the papers are disagreeing on is Tredwell or Panesar as 2nd spinner but they all seem to agree Shahzad is going.

As for a spare opener i would imagine Carberry,Lyth and Adams will all be with the academy side along with Hildreth,Taylor,Bopara and Gale so we have plenty of options should the need arise in any batting slot.Bresnan,Rashid and whoever misses out from Tredwell/Panesar will also be there but i wouldn't have a clue who the spare pace bowlers will be.I can't ever remember England having so much depth in talent as they have now which can only be good for the future.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why on earth do you pick 3 back up batsmen (including Davies who could do a job in an emergency) but only 2 back-up bowlers (neither of which is a spinner)

Clearly one of Monty and Adil should and will be in the 16, and I suspect it'll be Monty.
No other spinner in ENG expect Swann is test quality, let alone international quality. If the unthinkable situation occurs where Swann gets injured, it would be suicide to pick any one of Panesar or Rashid as part of a 4-man attack - that would be a one of the worst test selections in recent ENG test history & Ashes history.

Thats is why picking a back-up spinners is clearly doesn't have any creditable cricket logic behind it. If Swann gets injured, 4 quicks have to play, thus the back-up bowling has only quicks. Simple.

Seconldy why on earth would you be even contemplating a scenario where Davies will have to play as a pure batsmen in the top 6??, No way sir, if Davies even has to play he will be a replacement batting @ # 7 for Prior & not a position higher.

I have clearly explained with the Cook scenario why a 3rd pure spare-bat (either an opener or middle-order bat) needs to be in the final squad.

flibbertyjibber

I'd be reluctant to get carried away with Monty's performance this season. He did ok but in truth he was far from outstanding in a far from outstanding Sussex bowling side which feasted on some inept batting in Div 2 and which without exception managed to achieve some pretty remarkable bowling stats.
Well feasting on Div 2 bats is what looks like earning Tremlett a place in the party,god knows why as i don't rate him at all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well feasting on Div 2 bats is what looks like earning Tremlett a place in the party,god knows why as i don't rate him at all.
You do remember Tremlett did do well in Div 1 before circa 05/06, before his intial test selection & was fairly solid/impressive in his debut series vs IND 07 in a losing cause right?.

All Tremlett needed to do this seaosn was prove he can get through a season without breaking down, regardless of what Division he was playing in, given his recent injury set-backs. Him being good enough for international cricket (test cricket mainly) was never in doubt.

Last edited: