• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

tooextracool

International Coach
Think a side with Onions in the XI and Tremlett in the reserves could potentially be a real handful down under. Very much doubt that Onions will make the flight though and even if he does, he's going to be way too raw to play.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think a side with Onions in the XI and Tremlett in the reserves could potentially be a real handful down under. Very much doubt that Onions will make the flight though and even if he does, he's going to be way too raw to play.
Probably still bring tears to a few Aussie eyes? :p :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
IJL Trott predicatably says "pish & tish" to talk of a whitewash according to David Hopps in The Guardian.

Hopps also says of Ponting that his, "sacking as Australia captain would be inevitable should they fail to regain the Ashes". Thoughts anyone? Not big on sacking skippers down under are they? Hughes notwithstanding.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
IJL Trott predicatably says "pish & tish" to talk of a whitewash according to David Hopps in The Guardian.

Hopps also says of Ponting that his, "sacking as Australia captain would be inevitable should they fail to regain the Ashes". Thoughts anyone? Not big on sacking skippers down under are they? Hughes notwithstanding.
Was Hughes sacked? I thought he resigned. Could be wrong though.

Last one I remember was the skipper who lost to us in 1970/71. Oh, and Technically Yallop, I suppose, although he was only ever a stand-in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was Hughes sacked? I thought he resigned. Could be wrong though.

Last one I remember was the skipper who lost to us in 1970/71. Oh, and Technically Yallop, I suppose, although he was only ever a stand-in.
Ah, might be wrong then. I always assumed Hughes was handed the pearl handled revolver and asked to do the decent thing, hence the blubbing.

Get the impression from what I've read that the returning WSC players didn't much rate him as a captain. Seemed to be rather thinner skinned than the avearge Ocker sportsman, anyway.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think you could say with almost 100% certainty that Ponting wont be captain if they fail to win the Ashes.
I don't think it's that certain.

If we don't get back the Ashes while Ponting's brilliant batting and astute captaincy (hey it could happen) means that the series is drawn 2-2 I can't see him leaving.

The reality is that if you look at the two teams they are very similar in talent and I would have to say that the English team is a more confident team these days too.

A few years back you would struggle to name more than 2 of the English team in a combined XI, now it would be very subjective but the split could easily be 6-5.

Top_Cat

Ah, might be wrong then. I always assumed Hughes was handed the pearl handled revolver and asked to do the decent thing, hence the blubbing.

Get the impression from what I've read that the returning WSC players didn't much rate him as a captain. Seemed to be rather thinner skinned than the avearge Ocker sportsman, anyway.
From what AB has said of the time, he quit. But yeah, prior to him quitting, the decision to keep him on by the board was close; it went to a vote which narrowly retained him as captain. Guess he figured he was on borrowed time, though.

As far as Ponting goes, would be surprised if he was turfed even after an Ashes loss and he doesn't seem a bloke to give it up. I'd guess the selectors would prefer to keep Ponting as long as they could to eventually hand over to Clarke when he's ready rather than shoe-horning Katich/Hussey into the job or giving to Clarke now. I'd suggest as long as Ponting enjoys the backing of his senior players, he's got the job for as long as he wants.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way Ponting will be captain after this summer if we lose the ashes unless its extremely close.

Uppercut

A few years back you would struggle to name more than 2 of the English team in a combined XI, now it would be very subjective but the split could easily be 6-5.
Hmm. There's very few positions anyone could agree on, they're very closely matched indeed.

Maybe not in Australia though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The bowling will be interesting, none of the English bowlers have been tested in Australia (I'm not counting Anderson's 2006/07 series, where he shouldn't have been picked), and the Aussie bowlers haven't been tested against England in Australia.

Uppercut

Today's performance doesn't bode well on the exact type of pitch they can expect in Australia.

Wahab also eerily similar to Midge.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So if Cook doesn't manage a score between now and the end of this series, who's the better bet out of Carberry and Lyth to replace him?

Uppercut

From a neutral perspective I'd absolutely love Tait to line up in the Ashes.

It'd be an entirely unnecessary gamble for the Australians. Even if it comes off, will he be that much better than whoever he replaces? Probably not. Hilf and Bolly are good bowlers at home.

Although as much as it would probably be a good thing for their prospects, I can't imagine the English batsmen would be all that happy to see the fastest bowler of all time in the opposition.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

It'd be exciting to watch but in terms of winning, just no. It's pretty likely those thunderbolts will go for 6-an-over the way he's bowling now. He's geared his game towards just bowling quick at blokes looking to go after him. When he was playing 4-day matches for SA, his record on Adelaide Oval was as good as Gillespie's but he's not the same bowler.

Like UC alluded to, if he comes off, he might take a similar number of wickets to someone else. But if he doesn't, well 'someone else' would have been a better choice.