Page 28 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 1942

Thread: *Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

  1. #406
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    sif you'd make an ad for the current Ashes tour and not have the current captain captaining it
    Last edited by pasag; 19-06-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  2. #407
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,972
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    sif you'd make an ad for the current Ashes tour and not have the current captain captaining it
    You're falling into the trap of applying some logic to an advert that has Ian Botham and KP opening the batting in a Test...

    Anyway, yes it's fairly obvious that the ad men were going to pick Chimpy as skipper for this, but it's just quite amusing that they've picked a side with so many who would do a better job of it.

  3. #408
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    You're falling into the trap of applying some logic to an advert that has Ian Botham and KP opening the batting in a Test...

    Anyway, yes it's fairly obvious that the ad men were going to pick Chimpy as skipper for this, but it's just quite amusing that they've picked a side with so many who would do a better job of it.
    Strangest set of posts

  4. #409
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    You're falling into the trap of applying some logic to an advert that has Ian Botham and KP opening the batting in a Test...

    Anyway, yes it's fairly obvious that the ad men were going to pick Chimpy as skipper for this, but it's just quite amusing that they've picked a side with so many who would do a better job of it.
    I don't think the ad is suggesting that KP and Bothan are opening the batting, They are just random snippets.

    Why is it amusing that they picked players that were great captains? Those are the best players we have ever had.


  5. #410
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    How long do you want to bet it for?
    Year?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  6. #411
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,972
    Not sure it's worth prolonging this particular discussion any further tbh. But the point is, having Ponting skippering that team ahead of (say) Benaud is a bit like the inclusion of Mitch Johnson ahead of (say) Glenn McGrath - a necessary evil (ie a nod to the current team who'll be competing in the Ashes) but slightly cringeworthy all the same.

  7. #412
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,826
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Year?
    Sounds good. To spice things up a little bit, why don't we double it if the losing team doesn't win a test?
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  8. #413
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Not sure it's worth prolonging this particular discussion any further tbh. But the point is, having Ponting skippering that team ahead of (say) Benaud is a bit like the inclusion of Mitch Johnson ahead of (say) Glenn McGrath - a necessary evil (ie a nod to the current team who'll be competing in the Ashes) but slightly cringeworthy all the same.
    Don't think so at all.

  9. #414
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Sounds good. To spice things up a little bit, why don't we double it if the losing team doesn't win a test?
    Deal

  10. #415
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,972
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Don't think so at all.
    Good-o.

  11. #416
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    lol at people who are defending showing ponting as captain ahead of benaud, bradman. To be fair that is not the point of the ad though.

  12. #417
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    lol at people who are defending showing ponting as captain ahead of benaud, bradman. To be fair that is not the point of the ad though.
    The people are defending showing Ponting as captain because of the point of the ad. Your two statements are interconnected. I would be baffled if they did a promo for the 2011 Ashes series and didn't have the current captain captaining it. It would be the weirdest ad of all-time.

  13. #418
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,155
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    The people are defending showing Ponting as captain because of the point of the ad. Your two statements are interconnected. I would be baffled if they did a promo for the 2011 Ashes series and didn't have the current captain captaining it. It would be the weirdest ad of all-time.
    Yeah, bit of an advertising no-brainer I'd have thought?
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  14. #419
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    The people are defending showing Ponting as captain because of the point of the ad. Your two statements are interconnected. I would be baffled if they did a promo for the 2011 Ashes series and didn't have the current captain captaining it. It would be the weirdest ad of all-time.
    Actually that is my point too.. Kinda structured my sentence in a weird way.

  15. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Not sure it's worth prolonging this particular discussion any further tbh. But the point is, having Ponting skippering that team ahead of (say) Benaud is a bit like the inclusion of Mitch Johnson ahead of (say) Glenn McGrath - a necessary evil (ie a nod to the current team who'll be competing in the Ashes) but slightly cringeworthy all the same.
    So much hurt.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •