• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What time does play start in Australia?

(The reason I want to know is because, on a quiet day at work, I am setting up a countdown clock to the start of the Ashes. I may also start a second countdown clock for about tea time during the 3rd Test at Perth, which I will call the Ashes Retained Countdown Clock of Glory)
brilliant

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You won't want them to stream this, believe me
Look mate. I enjoyed my time in England, right? In fact, I enjoyed it a very great deal.

The country's lovely, the people I met are brilliant. Wonderful, in fact (notably, you didn't make it to the meet up :ph34r:).

But, I'm still an Australian.

You lot bang on about us losing over there in 05 when you cheated your way to a narrow win with sub fielders for tin-pot hacks who couldn't bare to stay on the field for more than a half hour, and with the use of illegal confectionary; and about 09, when we'd lost half a side in the preceding 18 months and, but for rain in Wales would have levelled the series anyway.

You lot haven't won here in 23 years!! There are moderators on this forum who weren't born when you lot last won here. Mobile phones weren't around then, neither were laptop computers.

I may have had a Commodore 64 PC then, and INXS were cool, as was acid wash.

People back then thought Knightrider was the best show on TV, and Madonna was the old Lady Gaga.

Mike Tyson had just knocked out Trevor Berbick to win the WBC heavyweight title and Star Bucharest won the Champions League. Liverpool were decent, it was that long ago.

Ronald Reagan was President of the US, Thatcher was in power over there and the Berlin Wall was still standing.

Now, you can bang on about your T20 triumph all you like, and in fairness it is now the "third pillar" of English sport. FMD, you ruled more than half the world for 200 plus years and you're struggling to cobble together three sporting triumphs.

You will not win out here this time either. And here's why.

The ball won't swing, so Anderson will sulk. And be ineffective.

The new McGrath (whatever his name is) will prove to be the New Saj Mahmood. By series' end, the old Saj Mahmood wlll likely get a run.

Lady Boy I think will be the best of your bowlers, but not good enough to cary the pace attack alone.

Swann won't do any good, because finger spinners don't do well here, Sydney and late Adelaide aside.

With your batting, Cook still fishes outside off stump. By series' end he'll have "Dougeh's Bitch" tattooeed on his forehead.

Strauss failed here last time, and he looks a lot like my Tory arsehole local MP, so he will fail again.

Who's batting three for you now? Is it still Trott? One-test wonder. Will fail.

Pietersen's a good player no doubt, but not been near his best in recent tiimes. Be interesting to see how he goes.

Looks like Ian Bell has, thankfully for us, cemented his place in the middle order. Honestly, he's your Marcus North. Dire.

Forget it. Won't happen. Can't happen. Simply not feasible.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Would be willing to do a life time avatar bet with GIMH. Unfortunately, he will probably scamper like a ****roach caught in the light.

Flem274*

123/5
Look mate. I enjoyed my time in England, right? In fact, I enjoyed it a very great deal.

The country's lovely, the people I met are brilliant. Wonderful, in fact (notably, you didn't make it to the meet up :ph34r:).

You lot bang on about us losing over there in 05 when you cheated your way to a narrow win with sub fielders for tin-pot hacks who couldn't bare to stay on the field for more than a half hour, and with the use of illegal confectionary; and about 09, when we'd lost half a side in the preceding 18 months and, but for rain in Wales would have levelled the series anyway.

You lot haven't won here in 23 years!! There are moderators on this forum who weren't born when you lot last won here. Mobile phones weren't around then, neither were laptop computers.

People back then thought Knightrider was the best show on TV, and Madonna was the old Lady Gaga.

Mike Tyson had just knocked out Trevor Berbick to win the WBC heavyweight title and Star Bucharest won the Champions League. Liverpool were decent, it was that long ago.

Ronald Reagan was President of the US, Thatcher was in power over there and the Berlin Wall was still standing.

Now, you can bang on about your T20 triumph all you like, and in fairness it is now the "third pillar" of English sport. FMD, you ruled more than half the world for 200 plus years and you're struggling to cobble together three sporting triumphs.

The new McGrath (whatever his name is) will prove to be the New Saj Mahmood. By series' end, the old Saj Mahmood wlll likely get a run.

Lady Boy I think will be the best of your bowlers, but not good enough to cary the pace attack alone.

Swann won't do any good, because finger spinners don't do well here, Sydney and late Adelaide aside.

With your batting, Cook still fishes outside off stump. By series' end he'll have "Dougeh's Bitch" tattooeed on his forehead.

Strauss failed here last time, and he looks a lot like my Tory arsehole local MP, so he will fail again.

Pietersen's a good player no doubt, but not been near his best in recent tiimes. Be interesting to see how he goes.

Looks like Ian Bell has, thankfully for us, cemented his place in the middle order. Honestly, he's your Marcus North. Dire.

:lol:

Well said, but...

Setting yourself up for a fall much? :p

TumTum

Banned
Like last time, all the English bowlers will fail.

I expect either Harris or Hilfenhaus to do really well, someone that bowls accurately and gets little movement either way like Stuart Clark did in '06.

Some of the English batsmen will shine and they might post 500 at least once in the series, but that will be coupled with many low scores and collapses.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:lol:

Well said, but...

Setting yourself up for a fall much? :p
Hide of a Rhinoceros mate. Don't care tbh. Better to speak strongly and be proven wrong than to say nothing then after the series say "I knew ..... would happen".

The latter ****s me no end. Grow a pair and make predictions I say! If you're wrong, who gives a toss?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

For Corrin's sake I want to disagree so much.....but that good old English pessimism means I just can't

We are so going to lose.

Apart from Finn, think he will do ok.

Oh and maybe Bell, if he not batting at 3.

It does not matter either because we will fluke one test and that will make it all ok.

Flem274*

123/5
Hide of a Rhinoceros mate. Don't care tbh. Better to speak strongly and be proven wrong than to say nothing then after the series say "I knew ..... would happen".

The latter ****s me no end. Grow a pair and make predictions I say! If you're wrong, who gives a toss?
Burgey, the man with iron testicles and a rhino horn for a....

I didn't think you'd be bothered much by the possibility of being wrong. :p

Good on ya d00d.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would be willing to do a life time avatar bet with GIMH. Unfortunately, he will probably scamper like a ****roach caught in the light.
A lifetime is a long time...but let's whack out some T's & C's

Burgey, loved your post. It'll be my signature come January 2011

Agree on the "I knew this would happen" brigade, gets your balls on the line or STFU IMO

fredfertang

Highlighted part is proof positive Burgey can't have intended this post to be taken seriously

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
[gibberish excised for brevity]

[gibberish excised for brevity]
Love the typo

andyc

Controversial choice of captain in that Dream XI

Still love the ad, though
Haha aye. Reckon that Ponting's captaincy cops more flak than necessary, but with Bradman, Benaud, Border, Waugh and even Warne in the team, I can't imagine he'd be too many people's first pick.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Why wouldn't they pick the most successful player and captain in Test cricket history?
They did, but they made Ricky Ponting captain instead.

The reason Chimpy W Ponting shouldn't be captain of that Dream XI is that he's maybe the 6th best captain in the team. (He might be the 7th but Greg Chappell is debarred due to underhand behaviour.)