• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Reckon this Steve Finn might have something about him though, will be interested to see how he develops over your summer - his extra height will offer him something different on Aussie wickets which over the past few summers have been pretty lifeless, if not downright slow and low..
I think Finn will do a Roach or an Aamer. He'll bowl some good spells and the commentators especially Chappelli will rave about them having talent, but the end results will not be anything to write home about.

Andre

International Regular
Think Hilfenhaus has the edge on Anderson
Can't agree with that. Anderson at least has won his country Test matches and run through sides in favourable conditions, something which Hilfenhaus hasn't at this (admittedly) early stage of his career.

Hilfenhaus is the steadier of the two (good quality, dependable workhorse - expect lots of good overs from him), while Anderson the more destructive of the 2 (so more likely to win you a match).

Will be interested to see where Siddle fits in to the Aussie plans if fit - reckon he's just got that little bit about him which could potentially set him apart from other quick bowlers on flat decks. Just seems to find a bit more in those sorts of wickets than other blokes.

TumTum

Banned
No doubt we will win this series quite easily, but by what margin? :whistling

I am pretty sure this series will be like 07, with Watson and Ponting making heaps of runs.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Can't agree with that. Anderson at least has won his country Test matches and run through sides in favourable conditions, something which Hilfenhaus hasn't at this (admittedly) early stage of his career.

Hilfenhaus is the steadier of the two (good quality, dependable workhorse - expect lots of good overs from him), while Anderson the more destructive of the 2 (so more likely to win you a match).

Will be interested to see where Siddle fits in to the Aussie plans if fit - reckon he's just got that little bit about him which could potentially set him apart from other quick bowlers on flat decks. Just seems to find a bit more in those sorts of wickets than other blokes.
Before he got injured, Hilfenhaus was improving in leaps and bounds IMO. While he still possessed his earlier qualities that you mentioned - dependable workhorse etc - he had developed some more aggressive weapons and I thought he was more constantly menacing than Johnson.

Siddle is an interesting point. I rate him when he bowls fast (mid 140s), but as soon as his pace drops, he really becomes insignificant and he barely moves the ball around.

Andre

International Regular
Before he got injured, Hilfenhaus was improving in leaps and bounds IMO. While he still possessed his earlier qualities that you mentioned - dependable workhorse etc - he had developed some more aggressive weapons and I thought he was more constantly menacing than Johnson.

Siddle is an interesting point. I rate him when he bowls fast (mid 140s), but as soon as his pace drops, he really becomes insignificant and he barely moves the ball around.
Agreed with regards to Hilfenhaus improving in leaps and bounds, but still not quite a polished as Anderson at this stage - not to say he may or may not end up better. He's got a great (and extremely sharp) bouncer, but until he has completely mastered his inswinger and the direction of his straight one, he still has a bit of work to do.

Wouldn't suprise me if he was the one to miss out though. Reckon Siddle might have more credit points than him with the selectors. To bowl at the right pace, though, he'd have to be 100% fit - as soon as he has dropped below that in the past is when he has struggled.

Could be a good case for the Aussies looking to use all 5 quicks throughout the summer (Johnson, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, R Harris) and picking the most likely of the 3 to do a job in said conditions. Apart from Johnson, who is an automatic pick as a genuine match winner.

Will be interesting to see how Bollinger goes/will be going at that stage. He's been outstanding for the last 12 months, but I just don't see him as a better bowler than Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus and possibly Ryan Harris come Ashes time. That is completely and utterly my own opinion though, fully expect people to have a go at me about it but something tells me he might not be going as good - reckon he's in a bit of a purple patch at the moment and that might not last forever.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed with regards to Hilfenhaus improving in leaps and bounds, but still not quite a polished as Anderson at this stage - not to say he may or may not end up better. He's got a great (and extremely sharp) bouncer, but until he has completely mastered his inswinger and the direction of his straight one, he still has a bit of work to do.

Wouldn't suprise me if he was the one to miss out though. Reckon Siddle might have more credit points than him with the selectors. To bowl at the right pace, though, he'd have to be 100% fit - as soon as he has dropped below that in the past is when he has struggled.

Could be a good case for the Aussies looking to use all 5 quicks throughout the summer (Johnson, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, R Harris) and picking the most likely of the 3 to do a job in said conditions. Apart from Johnson, who is an automatic pick as a genuine match winner.

Will be interesting to see how Bollinger goes/will be going at that stage. He's been outstanding for the last 12 months, but I just don't see him as a better bowler than Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus and possibly Ryan Harris come Ashes time. That is completely and utterly my own opinion though, fully expect people to have a go at me about it but something tells me he might not be going as good - reckon he's in a bit of a purple patch at the moment and that might not last forever.
I'd take a Hilfenhaus over an Anderson because I expect Hilfenhaus to perform to a reasonably good level on most surfaces. While he may not completely run through sides until he improves his inswinger I expect him to perform, overall, to a higher standard than Anderson, who although he can win matches, mostly relies on conducive surfaces.

I felt Siddle was reaching the end of his tether before he got injured. Especially with the entire cricketing media pointing out his ballooning average. IMO, he can only play if he's absolutely without a doubt 100% fit. Even then I might leave him out. Can't really know how Bollinger will perform in the long run yet so bit harsh to suggest it's only a purple patch and he'll be relegated to 5th priority.

Andre

International Regular
I felt Siddle was reaching the end of his tether before he got injured. Especially with the entire cricketing media pointing out his ballooning average. IMO, he can only play if he's absolutely without a doubt 100% fit. Even then I might leave him out. Can't really know how Bollinger will perform in the long run yet so bit harsh to suggest it's only a purple patch and he'll be relegated to 5th priority.
Yeah, I just reckon Siddle was playing really sore and bowling without a heck of a lot of luck - he bowled really well in a few of the home Test but came home with nothing to show for it.

Fully fit and fresh, I'd expect his ballooning average to be an abberation rather than the norm.

Not saying as such that Bollinger will be relegated to 5th priority, more saying that if he doesn't perform to the standard of the last 12 months, I wouldn't be suprised because my gut feeling is that his last summer has been the exception rather than the norm.

That said, the norm of Bollinger is still a bloody good bowler.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way Bollinger won't play. Johnson and Bollinger are shoe-ins, the third place a toss up between Siddle and Hilfenhaus. Wasn't a fan of Hilf originally but after his England series and then his early Aussie summer stuff before he got injured, have changed my mind.

And at the moment, I'd only take Hilf over Jimmy when in Australia, ftr.

Andre

International Regular
No way Bollinger won't play. Johnson and Bollinger are shoe-ins, the third place a toss up between Siddle and Hilfenhaus.
A lot can happen between now and then. Still got the series in England vs Pakistan and seemingly a Test series in India before the Ashes, so a lot can depend on how Harris goes if selected.

Put it this way - nothing is cut and dried for the first Ashes Test apart from Johnson, with 4 other quicks all with limited international experience going for 2 spots.

At the moment, it is Bollinger-Daylight-Siddle-Hilfenhaus-Harris, in that order for the remaining pace spots.

However a lot can change over 4/5 Tests and if Bolly starts to struggle things will get interesting for the last few spots.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot can happen between now and then.
Very true.Same with England,we can all guess who might get picked but there is a lot of cricket to play before the initial squads are announced.I just hope that there is no repeat of 4 years ago when one side was at full strength and one decimated by injury as that would be a shame.Lets have 2 sides at full strength going toe to toe with each other and enjoy the ride.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Andre you have it spot on.Sidebottom is going to be a waste of time in Australia,i wouldn't ever pick him for a test again as he is useless after the first spell.His pace drops and his head goes down so on pitches that won't suit him in conditions that also won't he will be fodder.Anderson has improved but again isn't likely to be a threat apart from once in the series when he gets a 5 for.

Onions,Broad,Bresnan and Swann will be the ones who will take more wickets and maybe Finn if he continues to improve.Bresnan showed in Bangladesh on dead pitches that he could keep pressure on when there was nothing in it for him and his ability to reverse the ball will be useful as will Finn's.

Basically Hilfenhaus and Anderson will cancel each other out,neither was able to regularly bowl the other side out in England so what chance do they have in Australia.Johnson and Broad are both scatterguns,and Bollinger hasn't been tested by a decent side yet so is a total unknown quantity.

If England pick Sidebottom we may as well hand the urn over now.

I'd agree with all of that. Onions being out for three months is a real blow for England - how the heck do you take him to Aus off the back of a few weeks' cricket at the end of the season? The selectors have to think really carefully about who plays against Bang next week, as any number of guys could clean up and keep themselves in the side for the rest of the summer. Bresnan's probably the likeliest bet, which I couldn't have seen myself saying 3 months ago. Finn hasn't done enough this season apart from that first game against a weak Worcs lineup on what was obviously a seriously helpful wicket. Either way, you struggle to see us bowling Aus out unless Broad improves by as much this year as he did during 2009 and Anderson finds a dimension to his game that we haven't seen yet.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Will stand up for Sid slightly here. He's not express fast, but he was up over 85mph pretty consistently in the T20 WC and went over 90mph on a couple of occasions.

Obviously his fitness (and weight) needs monitoring but I'd have him ahead of Bresnan without a second's pause for thought. If he gets a proper run and stays fit I'd take him.

Bopara our most successful Lions bowler v the Banglas, I note too... :ph34r:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously his fitness (and weight) needs monitoring but I'd have him ahead of Bresnan without a second's pause for thought. If he gets a proper run and stays fit I'd take him.
No way I'd have him above Bresnan actually, would never have said this 6 months, but he's seriously come on leaps and bounds. Sidebottom hasn't done enough since his purple patch a couple of years back and Bresnan is the man in form.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Will stand up for Sid slightly here. He's not express fast, but he was up over 85mph pretty consistently in the T20 WC and went over 90mph on a couple of occasions.

Bopara our most successful Lions bowler v the Banglas, I note too... :ph34r:
He only had to bowl four overs at most though. That's my concern.S