• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who did Australia miss most?

Who did Australia miss most?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matthew Hayden is perhaps the player with the least capable replacement, with Phil Hughes failing at the top of the order and having to be replaced by Watto. Still, he had an ordinary tour of England last time out and against good quick bowling may have struggled to make an impact.

Adam Gilchrist is the best of the three players, but had a very able replacement and wasn't quite himself in the latter half of his career. He struggled last time in England too, but with Haddin struggling to resurrect an innings from 7 you have to think he'd have made a difference.

Symonds is nowhere near the class of the others, and has had the most successful replacement. But considering that the series was lost in so few key moments with the bat, you have to wonder whether his undeniable ability to turn a collapsing batting lineup around in the big moments would have saved Australia when they were falling apart. North had a good series, but his centuries came with Australia already well in control of the game and the going straightforward. Mid-collapse at Edgbaston, Lord's and the Oval, he failed to turn things around. It's worth wondering whether Symonds could have fought back better in those moments when Australia seemed to be losing themselves the game- he's certainly done it before.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Probably Gilchrist, and because of his batting. His counter-attacking style would have been helpful in taking the initiative away from the English bowlers and setting us up better in terms of time.

kingkallis

International Coach
Gilly in my opinion!

But yeak it was Mike or Mick Lewis, who went for 100+ runs against the SA in that 438 chase!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Without wishing to negate the poll, I'd say Langer was probably missed more than any of them. Was the clear stand out amongst the Australian batsmen in 2005.

Of the three, Gilchrist, although as much for his keeping as his batting. When you're coming a (distant) second to Prior in glovework you know work needs doing. Haddin's batting was decent, although after the ton at Cardiff no more than that.

Redbacks

International Captain
Roy pre IPL would have been a valuable addition for his ability to bowl spin/pace and also to produce good knocks when the chips were down.

tooextracool

International Coach
Don't think any of those players would have made a difference to the result of the series. Gilchrist had been well and truly found out by the end of his career, even a half fit Flintoff would have walked all over him. Hayden may have been useful with England not playing Hoggard these days and Anderson's continual attempts to bowl away swingers at left handers instead of inswingers, but his record in England is poor and I doubt it would have mattered much. Symonds is the same as Hayden, although I suppose his part time bowling may have helped him out.

Nonetheless, one batsman can rarely make a huge difference to a series result unless he has the series of his life, whereas one good bowler can make a huge difference. Therefore, Australia missed Lee more than any of those guys.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really don't think we missed anyone, or needed anyone. We had the arsenal, but we shot it into the sea.
That's why I'm thinking Symonds had the potential to make a big difference to the result. It was a case of one or two moments when the series was lost, and Symonds so often excels in those moments. It's got nothing to do with talent, he's not even as good as North. It's the ability to turn round that crucial innings that's going against you.

pup11

International Coach
I think Australia missed a guy like Hayden the most at the top of the order, I know he hasn't had a great time when he has played in England in the past, but surely had he been there this time around he would have made a big difference. especially considering that swing with the new ball wasn't much of a factor this time around.

Don't think we missed Gilly that much though, I think Haddin prior to his injury more than made up for the absence of Gilly, obviously Gilly is a more dynamic player than Haddin, but still it was Hayden out of those three that was missed the most in this series.

pup11

International Coach
That's why I'm thinking Symonds had the potential to make a big difference to the result. It was a case of one or two moments when the series was lost, and Symonds so often excels in those moments. It's got nothing to do with talent, he's not even as good as North. It's the ability to turn round that crucial innings that's going against you.
Don't think Symonds would have much of difference to our performances, it wasn't as if the series had any moments where a breezy knock at no.6 from him would have tilted things in our favour, on the contrary I think had he been there in place of North, then we could have probably ended up being in even more trouble.

Last edited: