• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who did Australia miss most?

Who did Australia miss most?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Symonds would have much of difference to our performances, it wasn't as if the series had any moments where a breezy knock at no.6 from him would have tilted things in our favour, on the contrary I think had he been there in place of North, then we could have probably ended up being in even more trouble.
It's funny, but Australia never collapsed so dramatically when Symonds was in the team. Remember when you were 84/5, 134/6 or 18/5? Symonds pulled you out of the mire.

I don't mean you can say conclusively that he would have made a difference, but he's as good a bet to change the momentum from number 6 as anyone. He's done it plenty before.

pup11

International Coach
It's funny, but Australia never collapsed so dramatically when Symonds was in the team. Remember when you were 84/5, 134/6 or 18/5? Symonds pulled you out of the mire.

I don't mean you can say conclusively that he would have made a difference, but he's as good a bet to change the momentum from number 6 as anyone. He's done it plenty before.
Yeah he did that, but there were numerous umpiring decisions that went his way when he did all that, but more often than not, you would expect him to perish in face of a collapse, because the brand of cricket that he plays makes him too much of a hit and miss player in the longer form of the game.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think Australia missed a guy like Hayden the most at the top of the order, I know he hasn't had a great time when he has played in England in the past, but surely had he been there this time around he would have made a big difference. especially considering that swing with the new ball wasn't much of a factor this time around.

Swing with the new ball was more of a factor in this Ashes series than it was in 2005 where reverse was king (with the exception of Trent Bridge).

Uppercut

Yeah he did that, but there were numerous umpiring decisions that went his way when he did all that, but more often than not, you would expect him to perish in face of a collapse, because the brand of cricket that he plays makes him too much of a hit and miss player in the longer form of the game.
Who isn't a hit and miss player? Every batsman scores sometimes and doesn't score other times. He might have struggled a little against swing, but I don't really agree with the Richardism that aggressive cricket can never work when the ball moves in the air. It's not exactly a given but I think it's pretty likely that Symonds could have turned one of Australia's three horrendous innings around.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he definitely could have. But so could Gilchrist, who admittedly was not at his best, but would have been handy.

Decent vice captain too, and gives confidence to the team when he comes out at 7, no matter his form, IMO of course.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Who isn't a hit and miss player? Every batsman scores sometimes and doesn't score other times. He might have struggled a little against swing, but I don't really agree with the Richardism that aggressive cricket can never work when the ball moves in the air. It's not exactly a given but I think it's pretty likely that Symonds could have turned one of Australia's three horrendous innings around.
Yeh, often when a player like Symonds comes in and smacks everything, regardless if it's moving in the air, it can have a negative impact on the bowlers who often try something different when they probably should keep pitching it up.

Uppercut

Yeah he definitely could have. But so could Gilchrist, who admittedly was not at his best, but would have been handy.

Decent vice captain too, and gives confidence to the team when he comes out at 7, no matter his form, IMO of course.
Yeah, I actually voted for Gilchrist in the poll. I'm just arguing the case for Symonds because I think everyone already knows what Gilchrist could have done.

Uppercut

You know, there's a reason I only gave three options. If it's an open-ended question the answer is Warne. No debate.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Warne or Glen McGrath. If we had either we would have won.

Given Symond's recent form I think in all likelihood he would have done a grand total of absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

AaronK

State Regular
none of them

I thought Aus played really good.. first test they almost won.. second test they were defy by Strauss.. third test was drawn due to bad weather when Aus was clearly on top.. fourth test they domanated England.. 5th test.. they had what pakistan does the best.. a big collaps ..

i voted for Gilly.. anyways.. i think North was a better substitute for Symonds.