Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest disapointment of the 2009 Ashes?

Biggest disapointment of the 2009 Ashes?

Whether it be a player or a passage of play or whatever, what is your biggest disapointment of the series just gone?

Personally for me it's Peter Siddle. A lot of the crims were talking him up as the next big thing yet apart from the first innings at Headingley he did next to nothing. Same goes for Mitchell Johnson too.

From an England perspective Bopara was a shambles. I thought he would have made at least one score in the series but he was just woefully out of his depteh throughout.
    Heads, Shoulders, Knees, John Stones

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Pietersen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    The umpiring. But then again nothing else ever had a chance.

The fact that technology will finally only come in full time a couple of months AFTER this series, is the typical type of joke that is the ICC who manage to yet again get it wrong.

Bopara, Freddie (post Lord's), KP, Anderson (mostly), the umpiring.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Bopara's performances were poor, but I'd have him down as only mildly disappointing because my hopes weren't too high anyway.

Biggest disappointment was probably Hughes for my money, who went from early-season century machine to dropped in three test innings.

England have a lot of players who were disappointing apart from one or two performances: Anderson (Lords), Cook (Lords), Flintoff (Lords), Collingwood (Cardiff & Lords) & Swann (Lords & The Oval).
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Kpp
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Banned
    Flintoff. Surely after Lord's nobody expected him to go out on such a whimper.

Flintoff and Johnson. Johnson with the bat was a non-event.

Didn't expect anything from Bopara and the form of Cook and Colly wasn't surprising.

State Vice-Captain
    Above everything else the umpiring, it was truly abysmal, I'm not a fan of the referral system but it's got to be better than this, at times decisions just seemed a total lottery.

Johnson was a epicly giant disappointment, saw glimpses of what he can do at Headingley but otherwise was all over the shop and did more harm than good.

Hughes almost forgotten among the wreckage, was talked up as the next big thing with the runs to prove it but was sorted out pretty quickly.

Siddle, was so accurate in SA but was inconsistent over here.

Swann, he did well when he got a turning surface, but was otherwise pretty innocuous, I was expecting a much more solid performance from him.

Anderson, had the chance to prove that he'd really stepped up to the next level but didn't take it apart from one innnings at Lords, remains inconsistent.

Bopara, thought he would do ok this series, maybe average 40, it wasn't that he failed that was so dissappointing it was the manner in which he did so.

The crowds booing, awful to see, gives the occasion such a sour taste.

The oval pitch was bit dissappointing, was hoping for a real slugfest that went to the last day, a result on that kind of surface somehow feels a little contrived.

Cardiff getting a test, was soulless and dull as expected, a poor way to start the series, was rescued by some exciting cricket.

Johnson's performance & an Ashes test not coming to Manchester.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Brett Lee not playing in the test series.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    In general, the fact that we seemed to palm off responsibility in the most dire of situations. The two innings where we lost wickets while I winked, it seemed to me as if the players didn't really value their wickets. They didn't have that old-school attitude towards staying in. It almost seemed as if they were under the impression that the next guy would do his job and it'd be ok.
    ★★★★★

The ECB selling out by staging the first Test at a joke ground
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Spectator
    Brett Lee not playing any part was a disappointment for me. I was looking forward to seeing him and he was looking great till he got that side strain just before Cardiff. I reckon he could've still done something in the last 2 tests though.

Freddie not doing much in the last test. Would've been a nice end to his career to have got amongst the wickets. Run out was class though!

Gotta say KP. Biggest let down of all.

International Regular
    Losing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information