Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So what went wrong?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I don't know what to make of this - is there any merit in it or is it just opportunist b******* ?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I don't know what to make of this - is there any merit in it or is it just opportunist b******* ?
    The latter.

"the Australian team remains as solidly Anglo as in the days of Bradman and Miller."

Hmm.

Katich? Hifhenhaus? Hauritz? Krezja?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    In 10 years time i would suggest that a lot more subcontinental players will haev come through the ranks and will be playing FC and test cricket.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The latter.

"the Australian team remains as solidly Anglo as in the days of Bradman and Miller."

Hmm.

Katich? Hifhenhaus? Hauritz? Krezja?
    Believe Mitch Johnson is a Koori too. Mate of mine played in the ATSIC Chairman's XI game years ago and mentioned Midge was in the squad.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I stil think 05 victory was much better considering that legends like Mcgrath, Warne, Gilly were playing..

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    You are right in that England are not a great bowling team. They did however bowl some very good spells during the series that changed games on their heads.

For me, the Australian bowlers were steady but rarely threatening. At many times during the series, you felt that the England batsmen had just tossed their wickets away when everything looked so easy rather than Australian bowlers getting them out. Only at Leeds did the bowlers actually get England out, for the rest of the series the batsmen just obliged.

I take your point that the Australian bowlers were rarely poor during the series whilst their batting veered from excellent to fragile at some points. However, even that collapse at Lords was on the back of a very poor bowling performance in the first innings at Lords which arguably had just as much of an impact on the game as the bad batting did.
    The consistent theme developing with this Aussie attack, given its relative lack of experience, seems to be it struggles bowling sides out unless there's a fair bit int he wicket. They did well in SA on seaming pitches and again at Leeds on this tour.

Although tbf they won in Sydney and went within a whisker at Cardiff.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The consistent theme developing with this Aussie attack, given its relative lack of experience, seems to be it struggles bowling sides out unless there's a fair bit int he wicket. They did well in SA on seaming pitches and again at Leeds on this tour.

Pretty inexperienced attack, though. In my time watching cricket, no Aus attack I've seen had as its most experienced member a bloke with 20-odd Tests under his belt. There was always one or two others who'd been around for a while. Lee counts but then, he's not in the side and out there bowling with these guys. Siddle/Johnson/Hilf is an attack with decent potential, just needs time not just to gel as a team but to find their feet at the internatonal level individually.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 25-08-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Pretty inexperienced attack, though. In my time watching cricket, no Aus attack I've seen had as its most experienced member a bloke with 20-odd Tests under his belt. There was always one or two others who'd been around for a while. Lee counts but then, he's not in the side and out there bowling with these guys. Siddle/Johnson/Hilf is an attack with decent potential, just needs time not just to gel as a team but to find their feet at the internatonal level individually.
    Yeah, I think (and certainly hope) they'll get better in a range of conditions with more experience.

Still waiting for the explanation as to how Australia could possibly have lost from all those on here who say pace always > spin, no matter the conditions. Suspect I'll be waiting a while.

As T_C said, inexperience is definitely a factor, but I think for likes of Mitch, Siddle and Hilf to be successful in placid conditions, they would also need to be a bit more skillful, learning how to reverse swing the ball is vital for a modern day fast bowler.

When the wicket is hard and has decent bounce and carry, then hitting the deck hard (which is what most current Aussie quicks do) can work for you as a fast bowler, but on placid tracks if you keep doing the same thing then you are going to spanked by the batsmen.

The reason why Hilf looked the most potent of our bowlers is because, not only did he maintain very decent lines and lengths, he also consistently swung or seamed the ball around, which none of the other Aussie quicks were able to do.

I think for years as a team we have taken a skill like reverse swinging the ball for granted, but now we can no longer get away with that, because in general pitches around the world are unhelpful for fast bowlers, and its imperative that our quicks with the help of Cooley learn to reverse swing the ball.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, I think (and certainly hope) they'll get better in a range of conditions with more experience.

Still waiting for the explanation as to how Australia could possibly have lost from all those on here who say pace always > spin, no matter the conditions. Suspect I'll be waiting a while
    Coruse you will, seeing as it isn't true
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Still waiting for the explanation as to how Australia could possibly have lost from all those on here who say pace always > spin, no matter the conditions. Suspect I'll be waiting a while.
    Yeah haven't heard from SS and the other individuals in that mob yet.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    There are some bull**** theories and what not on CW, but that one tops them all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information