Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 153

Thread: The fallout

  1. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sol
    Posts
    17
    Just **** the jokers called selectors... and Aussie cricket will soon be back to where it belongs.

  2. #107
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,714
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    FFS it's not JUST ONE series, it's a bunch of problems over an 18 month period. Get that into you.
    Haha, some Aussies think they have a God-given right to be the world's best side and if they're not it can only be because of an administrative ****-up.

  3. #108
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha, some Aussies think they have a God-given right to be the world's best side and if they're not it can only be because of an administrative ****-up.
    Whilst Australia have played some pretty tough sides off late (India in India, South Africa home and away) etc, there still have to be question marks asked about losing to a side that hasn't beaten a top 4 test team (SA, India, Australia, Sri Lanka) home or away since they beat Australia in the Ashes in 2005.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  4. #109
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One (for now)
    Posts
    61,018
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Whilst Australia have played some pretty tough sides off late (India in India, South Africa home and away) etc, there still have to be question marks asked about losing to a side that hadn't beaten a top 4 test team (SA, India, Australia, Sri Lanka) home or away since they beat Australia in the Ashes in 2005.
    Corrected

    edit - that being said, Pakistan were ranked 2nd when we beat them in 2006 so it's a slightly misleading stat
    Last edited by GIMH; 29-08-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    GIMH


    CW LEGEND. HEAD OF FEATURES 2009-11. BOTM CHAMPION 2011 & 15. LORD PROTECTOR 2019-20. PLATINUM LOUNGE FOUNDING MEMBER. TORY **** 2005-13. DELUDED CENTRIST 2013-15. PART OF EVERY PROBLEM 2016-PRESENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS A CONCEPT BY WHICH WE MEASURE OUR PAIN.


    SWA/UP THE ENGLISH


  5. #110
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Corrected

    edit - that being said, Pakistan were ranked 2nd when we beat them in 2006 so it's a slightly misleading stat
    Well perhaps, but the side that showed up was missing its first string set of bowlers. That series really was never a contest until Asif landed.

  6. #111
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One (for now)
    Posts
    61,018
    Yeah, true, we were short of a few players as well mind you. We had Mahmood and Plunkett playing as I remember it.

  7. #112
    International Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    5,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha, some Aussies think they have a God-given right to be the world's best side and if they're not it can only be because of an administrative ****-up.
    your writing the story here.......

  8. #113
    Hall of Fame Member social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    16,890
    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    This "anonymous" source of yours, who is probably nothing but a pencil pusher, wouldnt have many people care/cry if Clarke was made captain over his dead body.

    Funny how this anonymous CA source seems to be in 100% agreement with you on everything,

    How many WAGs are not bimbos? Just because Bingle has a career outside of Clarke shouldnt be held against them.

    I dont like tatts ... but lots of people do. Wouldnt hold it against them.

    Is Clarke a bit of a tosser? No doubt. But hey, thats professional sport. Imagine if every player in the Premier League or NBA were dropped or held back for being tossers - you wouldnt have enough to field 3 teams in either.
    The board of CA (includes 3 former test cricketers btw) has to approve the appointment of the Oz captain - if they dont want him, then he wont get it

    BTW, "my source" is hardly in 100% agreement wih me - IMO, Ponting should definitely be given the axe, Symonds should never have been sacked, and I couldnt give a toss who Clarke jumps on (that's 0/3 and given that I disagree with most decisions of CA, the final figure would probably be closer to 0/100)

  9. #114
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,714
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Whilst Australia have played some pretty tough sides off late (India in India, South Africa home and away) etc, there still have to be question marks asked about losing to a side that hasn't beaten a top 4 test team (SA, India, Australia, Sri Lanka) home or away since they beat Australia in the Ashes in 2005.
    Tbf, it's comfortably the best England team to exist in that time. They're really rather good at home, and a lot of things went their way. The loss at home to South Africa would concern me more were I an Aus supporter.

  10. #115
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    The board of CA (includes 3 former test cricketers btw) has to approve the appointment of the Oz captain - if they dont want him, then he wont get it

    BTW, "my source" is hardly in 100% agreement wih me - IMO, Ponting should definitely be given the axe, Symonds should never have been sacked, and I couldnt give a toss who Clarke jumps on (that's 0/3 and given that I disagree with most decisions of CA, the final figure would probably be closer to 0/100)
    CA rubber stamp the captain. Technically the Governor General is the one who signs things into law in Australia. Not for the last 34 years has a GG got involved in any day to day matter of Australian politics. Once a law passes through parliament the GG gets out the old rubber stamp and automatically gives it the seal of approval.

    If you took a poll most people would pick Clarke as the next captain. The Australian team would have him as next captain. He's been groomed for the job. The bean counters in CA will follow what the public, selectors and players want.

    Your "source" might think he/she/it is the God of cricket in Australia but I remember a time when administrators thought they were Lords and Masters of all things cricket. We ended up having Kerry Packer come in and scoop up all the disgruntled players.

    CA knows it place (bent over in front of the BCCI with its pants around its ankles)

    James Sutherland played a whopping 4 first class games. Well, that 4 more than me but he's still a pencil pusher. Jack Clarke never played first class cricket.

    Yes, a lot of the Directors on the board are former first class players but only AB and Mark Taylor have somewhat recent international experience. (Were you talking to AB?)

    And if people are comparing Clarke to Warnie (not saying you are, social) it isnt right. Clarke hasnt been involved in anywhere near the scandals. And when it comes to the Katich thing the more I hear about it the more I think Katich was just as much at fault.

    Just because myself (and a lot of other people) dont want to be BFF's with Clarke doesnt mean he wont get the captaincy. Popularity is only one small factor.

    p.s. Symonds was sacked because hes an idiot who appealed to VB drinking, rugby league watching bogan crowd. In both his two test centuries from 26 matches he was claerly out. He couldnt make runs without the umpires help. Oh, wait, he did well against the powerhouse that is the West Indies. He was great limited overs player but he was given a thousand chances. Again, he was only kept around as long as he was because of his marketing appeal to the piss heads.

    p.p.s If Ponitng should be axed, and Clarke passed over then who should get captaincy of the ODI teams? (assuming Katich got tests)

  11. #116
    Hall of Fame Member social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    16,890
    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    CA rubber stamp the captain. Technically the Governor General is the one who signs things into law in Australia. Not for the last 34 years has a GG got involved in any day to day matter of Australian politics. Once a law passes through parliament the GG gets out the old rubber stamp and automatically gives it the seal of approval.

    If you took a poll most people would pick Clarke as the next captain. The Australian team would have him as next captain. He's been groomed for the job. The bean counters in CA will follow what the public, selectors and players want.

    Your "source" might think he/she/it is the God of cricket in Australia but I remember a time when administrators thought they were Lords and Masters of all things cricket. We ended up having Kerry Packer come in and scoop up all the disgruntled players.

    CA knows it place (bent over in front of the BCCI with its pants around its ankles)

    James Sutherland played a whopping 4 first class games. Well, that 4 more than me but he's still a pencil pusher. Jack Clarke never played first class cricket.

    Yes, a lot of the Directors on the board are former first class players but only AB and Mark Taylor have somewhat recent international experience. (Were you talking to AB?)

    And if people are comparing Clarke to Warnie (not saying you are, social) it isnt right. Clarke hasnt been involved in anywhere near the scandals. And when it comes to the Katich thing the more I hear about it the more I think Katich was just as much at fault.

    Just because myself (and a lot of other people) dont want to be BFF's with Clarke doesnt mean he wont get the captaincy. Popularity is only one small factor.

    p.s. Symonds was sacked because hes an idiot who appealed to VB drinking, rugby league watching bogan crowd. In both his two test centuries from 26 matches he was claerly out. He couldnt make runs without the umpires help. Oh, wait, he did well against the powerhouse that is the West Indies. He was great limited overs player but he was given a thousand chances. Again, he was only kept around as long as he was because of his marketing appeal to the piss heads.

    p.p.s If Ponitng should be axed, and Clarke passed over then who should get captaincy of the ODI teams? (assuming Katich got tests)
    CA Board want Ponting to continue so that's basically the end of the story (contrary to what you think, they have the power in this regard not the selectors)

    I'd pick Katich for tests and make Clarke captain of everything else

    Simply wont happen though

  12. #117
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Tbf, it's comfortably the best England team to exist in that time. They're really rather good at home, and a lot of things went their way. The loss at home to South Africa would concern me more were I an Aus supporter.
    Not for me, SA are a solid to very good team no matter where they play. Australia should have beaten England in the series just finished and didn't because they played extremely poorly in large patches. That's of greater concern to me than losing against a team that has some very, very good cricketers in it.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

    "There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

    "**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

  13. #118
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Not for me, SA are a solid to very good team no matter where they play. Australia should have beaten England in the series just finished and didn't because they played extremely poorly in large patches. That's of greater concern to me than losing against a team that has some very, very good cricketers in it.
    At least you lost to some good cricket though. You have to hold your hands up to Freddie's spell at Lord's and Broad's at the Oval, bowling like that would beaten anyone at any given time. Losing at home to South Africa was borne of letting them chase 414 at Perth and then failing to dismiss Dale Steyn and Paul Harris in the second test.

  14. #119
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    At least you lost to some good cricket though. You have to hold your hands up to Freddie's spell at Lord's and Broad's at the Oval, bowling like that would beaten anyone at any given time. Losing at home to South Africa was borne of letting them chase 414 at Perth and then failing to dismiss Dale Steyn and Paul Harris in the second test.
    Very small patches of good cricket over the course of a game. Could argue that SA's effort to chase 414 was an effort of equal value. Failing to dismiss Anderson and Panesar saw us lose the Ashes.

    The quality of cricket we played was well down in The Ashes compared to SA at home and (obviously) away. We could have quite easily won in England, and the fact we didn't is more disappointing than losing to SA at home, at least for me anyway. Thought our last effort was the worst I've seen us play since Warne, McGrath etc went.

  15. #120
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Very small patches of good cricket over the course of a game. Could argue that SA's effort to chase 414 was an effort of equal value. Failing to dismiss Anderson and Panesar saw us lose the Ashes.

    The quality of cricket we played was well down in The Ashes compared to SA at home and (obviously) away. We could have quite easily won in England, and the fact we didn't is more disappointing than losing to SA at home, at least for me anyway. Thought our last effort was the worst I've seen us play since Warne, McGrath etc went.
    Hmm, dunno. I think England's a pretty tough place to tour at the moment, especially for Australia because they put so much towards success in this particular series.

    Fair point on Monty and Jimmy, but you could also say there's no need to get too hung up over a series you were one wicket away from taking.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The fallout from England's Antiguan adventure
    By Woodster in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 08:36 PM
  2. ***Official*** India in Australia
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12920
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 06:04 AM
  3. Best Video Game of all time??
    By DCC_legend in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 30-10-2007, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •