Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 153

Thread: The fallout

  1. #61
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotchilipepa View Post
    Since Hilditch lives in Adelaide we facilitated the press conference yesterday and we've posted the unedited audio from that presser up on our website SACA - South Australian Cricket Association - Home

    Have to say, was one of the most interesting pressers i've been to. We have a full contingent of media outlets in Adelaide with Ch10 hooking up a live feed to Melbourne. It went for a about 20 minutes - longest I've been to - and there were some really interesting questions fired at Hilditch, who to his credit, handled himself very well.
    I read a rant in today's paper from some Adelaide lawyer who has a blog and basically ripped into Hilditch for owning a legal firm that earns him at least $600k a year and another $100k a year as a part-time selector.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  2. #62
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,071
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    Siddle has bowled well in 2 series, both against South Africa. He averaged 44 against India in India, which isn't bad but he did go for 4 an over. He averaged over 30 against England, which again, isn't bad. BUT, he took 3 wickets or more in an innings only 3 times. His 5 wicket haul consisted of Strauss and the last 4 wickets which needs to be done but its hardly the sign of a good bowler that he could only do it once in the series. Take that innings out and he averaged just under 40 for the series. But thats not why he shouldn't be considered at attack leader. He doesn't do enough with the ball for mine, and would need to pick up 10pkh or swing the ball more or move it off the seam.
    Haha, this is postively hilarious.

    Siddle averaged 44 in his debut Test match, had two good series against the number 1 side in the world, then performs reasonably well in an Ashes series in his first time in England, and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.

    And Siddle was the only one who ever looked like ripping through the tail, FTR.

  3. #63
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,053
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Haha, this is postively hilarious.

    Siddle averaged 44 in his debut Test match, had two good series against the number 1 side in the world, then performs reasonably well in an Ashes series in his first time in England, and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.
    Yeah agreed. At his worst in this series, he looked threatening. Whether that means threatening to take wickets or decapitate the batters, I dunno.....

    Seriously, 'bowled with luck' describes his series, I reckon.

    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    And Siddle was the only one who ever looked like ripping through the tail, FTR.
    The Redbacks fans amongst us understand this all too well.

    South Australia v Victoria at Adelaide, Oct 14-17, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  4. #64
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.

    And Siddle was the only one who ever looked like ripping through the tail, FTR.
    Im not blaming him, he was better than Johnson throughout the series. Im saying he just isn't that good.

    And if he was any good he might have ripped through the tail a bit more often...
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator


  5. #65
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    The Redbacks fans amongst us understand this all too well.

    South Australia v Victoria at Adelaide, Oct 14-17, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

    To be fair Sout Australia arn't the best at the moment...

  6. #66
    State Captain Stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,805
    If the Aussies will generally use 3 quicks + 1 spinner, with Watson as a 4th quick-option, and if Lee will come back in, either Siddle, Hilfy or Johnson has to go (assuming Clark is gone anyway). I would axe Siddle, I guess.


    Quote Originally Posted by slippyslip View Post
    My concerns with North was that he only scored runs when Australia was already on top. In the 2nd and 5th tests, the ones Australia lost, he did nothing.
    At Edgbaston he came in under quite some pressure!

  7. #67
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Don't really rate North and I think his high backlift and poor footwork will have him in trouble against decent bowling in test match cricket. He cashed in this series when the bowling was really poor and perhaps he might continue to do the same and have a somewhat successful test career but I would be very surprised if that happens as I just don't rate him.
    This is what I've been saying all along.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

  8. #68
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    To be fair Sout Australia arn't the best at the moment...
    do you know Vivian?

  9. #69
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,463
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I don't think it's that likely, but he's 34 (I think) and seems to constantly give away good starts with daft dismissals, or has done in this series anyway. After Hussey I'd say he's the top six player most in danger.
    No way the Katman's being dropped. A lot of people would say he's the best captain in the side too, he's had some success at Sheffield Shield level apparently.

    I think handing him the captaincy would be an excellent idea. He's not part of the current on-field management- Ponting tends to confer with Clarke or Hussey but very rarely Katich- so you're injecting some freshness into the side without having to go for someone new and inexperienced. It gives Ponting the opportunity to focus on his batting- there's no doubt in my mind that he's suffered in the past year from having to concentrate too hard on managing a young side, and his batting's suffered. And on top of all that, it's a job Katich is particularly well suited to.

    For me it's a similar situation to Sangakarra replacing Jayawardene as captain of Sri Lanka earlier this year- resulting in considerable success for the side ever since.

    Unfortunately, it won't happen. The Australians don't retain ex-captains, and they like to stick to Plan A (Clarke to take over after Ponting retires). It's not the way they do things, but it's what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  10. #70
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,463
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Haha, this is postively hilarious.

    Siddle averaged 44 in his debut Test match, had two good series against the number 1 side in the world, then performs reasonably well in an Ashes series in his first time in England, and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.

    And Siddle was the only one who ever looked like ripping through the tail, FTR.
    Siddle's someone I never want to be too critical of because I like him, but he doesn't entirely convince me. He's done OK but with everyone at full fitness I'd give him a break and play Brett Lee.

    I don't mean to blame him for the loss or write him off or anything like that. I just don't think he's quite in the top three quicks in Australia yet.

  11. #71
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    Siddle has bowled well in 2 series, both against South Africa. He averaged 44 against India in India, which isn't bad but he did go for 4 an over. He averaged over 30 against England, which again, isn't bad. BUT, he took 3 wickets or more in an innings only 3 times. His 5 wicket haul consisted of Strauss and the last 4 wickets which needs to be done but its hardly the sign of a good bowler that he could only do it once in the series. Take that innings out and he averaged just under 40 for the series. But thats not why he shouldn't be considered at attack leader. He doesn't do enough with the ball for mine, and would need to pick up 10pkh or swing the ball more or move it off the seam.
    Siddle was making his debut in India, I said at the time that he didn't look very good, but he's come on leaps and bounds since then and its important to remember that hes only played 4 series, and hes not yet 25. Hes leap years ahead of Johnson at the same point of his career, and I would say he is a better bowler than Johnson period.

    Regarding what he does with the ball, you are right, his strength is moving the ball off the seam, although he does get the ball to swing in towards the batter and he bowls fairly close to 90mph. Over time he will build on those attributes, which is why it is important to give him the confidence to do so, because he has a decent action and has the foundations to be a very good bowler in the future.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  12. #72
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    No way the Katman's being dropped. A lot of people would say he's the best captain in the side too, he's had some success at Sheffield Shield level apparently.

    I think handing him the captaincy would be an excellent idea. He's not part of the current on-field management- Ponting tends to confer with Clarke or Hussey but very rarely Katich- so you're injecting some freshness into the side without having to go for someone new and inexperienced. It gives Ponting the opportunity to focus on his batting- there's no doubt in my mind that he's suffered in the past year from having to concentrate too hard on managing a young side, and his batting's suffered. And on top of all that, it's a job Katich is particularly well suited to.

    For me it's a similar situation to Sangakarra replacing Jayawardene as captain of Sri Lanka earlier this year- resulting in considerable success for the side ever since.

    Unfortunately, it won't happen. The Australians don't retain ex-captains, and they like to stick to Plan A (Clarke to take over after Ponting retires). It's not the way they do things, but it's what I would do.
    Interesting idea actually. I am in favor of Ponting resigning his captaincy as well to focus on his batting, but given the bureaucracy in Australian cricket, I am not sure if a) he'd be able to retain his place in the side without the captaincy and b) if Clarke would be as good a captain.

  13. #73
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,477
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Siddle was making his debut in India, I said at the time that he didn't look very good, but he's come on leaps and bounds since then and its important to remember that hes only played 4 series, and hes not yet 25. Hes leap years ahead of Johnson at the same point of his career, and I would say he is a better bowler than Johnson period.

    Regarding what he does with the ball, you are right, his strength is moving the ball off the seam, although he does get the ball to swing in towards the batter and he bowls fairly close to 90mph. Over time he will build on those attributes, which is why it is important to give him the confidence to do so, because he has a decent action and has the foundations to be a very good bowler in the future.
    Spot on.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

    [Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

    [Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath


    In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

    Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

  14. #74
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Reckon Siddle would probably have the highest average speed for the whole series. Seemed to be around 90mph consistently more than any other bowler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  15. #75
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Think Johnson was quicker actually, was bowling around 92mph regularly when I watched him IIRC. Both were bowling at a very lively tick though.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The fallout from England's Antiguan adventure
    By Woodster in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 07:36 PM
  2. ***Official*** India in Australia
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12920
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 05:04 AM
  3. Best Video Game of all time??
    By DCC_legend in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 30-10-2007, 05:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •