Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The fallout

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    There's no point in picking someone, watching them score a ton and then dropping them. If Hussey was to be dropped based on his recent failings it should have been before this Test (or after it had he failed again here) - dropping him now would be insane. Sure, he may retire, but that's obviously different.
    I would have agreed fully with that statement had Hussey's 100 been in the first innings. His 100 came at a time when almost everything was over for Australia. Langer's dead rubber 100s come to mind.

Yeah, kind of sure he'll retain his place, but he might be demoted to No. 5 letting Clarke occuppy the position that is his now. And yes, he'll make runs against the WI and Pakistan, but those runs would have come at the cost of not budding a young middle order batsman.

Being the first Australian captain to lose a home series for 16 years, as well as being the first Australian captain to lose consecutive series in England for 110 years are serious black marks against Ponting's captaincy, though how much (if any) of the blame should be laid at Ponting's feet is definitely up for debate.

While I accept the side is massively in transition at the moment, it might just be that a side so massively in transition might benefit from a change at the top - a new leader for a new team.

edit: with my last point, I'm not advocating change for the sake of change. I'm just speculating that now might be the best time to let Clarke take the reigns, and mould a new team in his image.
    Last edited by Furball; 23-08-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Lee should replace Clark for AUS next test TBH. Clark is passed his peak, he never got past 82mph in these two test.

Plus given that Martyn was made scapegoat last time, i am getting worried these idiots will do some crazyness again. Hopefully though nothing like that happens.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Will heads roll?

Will Ponting resign the captaincy?

Will Hussey decide to go out on a high?

How safe is Watson in the side if he's not going to bowl?

Will the selectors fall on their swords?

Will Clark and Lee ever play for Aus again?

Will be an interesting few months in Australia, the media hasn't been paying any attention to this series, so there won't be a lot of external pressure.
    1) Yes

2) Probably not but imo he should. Interesting that the Herald and the Telegraph both have articles this morning saying that he should stay. It might not be the Australian way for captains to keep playing under someone else but it happens in most other countries so i dont see why not.

3) No

4) Not very, i would imagine he will be under a lot of pressure, that sid he will probably get injured before he gets dropped. Interestingly it has been stated that he will not open the batting for NSW with Jaques, Hughes and Katich all ahead of him.

5) lol

6) Well given Lee is in the T20 and ODI squads i think it is likely that he will play . If he is in reasonable form between now and the next test i would say he is highly likely to play. Clark will need to find pace and form for NSW quickly otherwise he will be gone.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    1) You'd imagine so. Although whose are anyone's guess. Clark, probably; Hussey, possibly; Katich, maybe.
    Katich? Well he didn't have a great ashes but he still averaged 42 and would surely still be rated as the best opener in the country at the moment?

Pinball Champion!
    Too busy trying to figure out whether some South African is a dude or a girl.
    You should see how things have been taken here.. It's basically like Apartheid has come back and now everyone in the world is conspiring to keep anyone with a tan in a shack..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    Katich? Well he didn't have a great ashes but he still averaged 42 and would surely still be rated as the best opener in the country at the moment?
    I don't think it's that likely, but he's 34 (I think) and seems to constantly give away good starts with daft dismissals, or has done in this series anyway. After Hussey I'd say he's the top six player most in danger.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

It's simply really, is Michael Clarke a better captain then Ricky Ponting?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Being the first Australian captain to lose a home series for 16 years, as well as being the first Australian captain to lose consecutive series in England for 110 years are serious black marks against Ponting's captaincy, though how much (if any) of the blame should be laid at Ponting's feet is definitely up for debate.
    Record Holder for consecutive wins, captained the side to a test series victory in India.

On the ODI side, captained 2 WC's

Technically Adam Gilchrist was captain in the first three Tests, so really I consider Gilchrist to been the winning captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Key decisions like leaving out the sole spinner in an Ashes decider indeed will raise a ruckus.
    he doesn't select the side, so nooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It's simply really, is Michael Clarke a better captain then Ricky Ponting?
    Im not sure. People certainly seem to rate him but what i have seen in ODI's hasn't convinced me yet, he certainly isn't any worse.

I think the best captain in the side at the moment is actually Katich, he is a bit old to take over. Haddin has also done a fantastic job at NSW and given Australia's recent history would probably get the vice captaincy if there was a change.

15 threads about the same thing to surface is the first visible result

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Will Clark and Lee ever play for Aus again?
    Would be very surprised if Clark plays again given that they were reluctant to pick him in this series.

Lee may yet get another turn, although for that to happen it would have to be either as part of a 4 man pace attack or in place of Johnson.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information