• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies - pick your attack for The Oval

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hilf and Sid to take the new cherry, Johnson and Hauritz to come after. The part-time spin options aren't great.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Johno, Sidders, Hilf, Clark.
I get the feeling the selectors are gonna pick Hauritz Carlton and drop Clark.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Same attack for the 4th test. But if the selectors feel reverse swing will really be a factor Lee to replace Clark.

Burgey

McGrath, Lillee, Davidson, Warne.

No one should bother turning up to face 'em, imo.

howardj

International Coach
Dale, Blocker Wilson, Matt Nicholson, Hohns.

Seriously though...

Hilfenhorse, Johnson, Siddle and Clark.

I think Clark, given the bounce in the Oval pitch, can be just as effective as Hauritz would be even if the wicket turns late in the match. The Oval always seems to have maintain its bounce throughout the match, which should ensure Clark is effective for the duration.

Top_Cat

Dale, Blocker Wilson, Matt Nicholson, Hohns.

Seriously though...

Hilfenhorse, Johnson, Siddle and Clark.

I think Clark, given the bounce in the Oval pitch, can be just as effective as Hauritz would be even if the wicket turns late in the match. The Oval always seems to have maintain its bounce throughout the match, which should ensure Clark is effective for the duration.
Yeah. In hindsight, agree. Reckon Clark would be as tough to face on day 5 on a wearing track as Hauritz.

morgieb

Hilfenhaus, Clark, Lee, Johnson.

Though I feel Siddle & Haurtiz may be picked too. Hard decisions FTL.

Burgey

Hilf, Sid, Johnson, Clark.

If it's a complete turner, I'd leave Sid out for Haurrie, but I suspect they'll omit Clark.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Johnson, Clark is definitely the attack I'd least like to see. Though Hauritz has been good this series.

Uppercut

There's not a fan in England, nor I suspect is there a player in the England team, that wants Clark to play tomorrow.

Dydl

International Debutant
Depends a lot on the conditions, really.

Would love to see the four-pronged pace attack again, but could see Hauritz coming in for Clark, and wouldn't mind TOO much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's not a fan in England, nor I suspect is there a player in the England team, that wants Clark to play tomorrow.
But Hauritz playing ahead of him would mean the team fits a template, which is by-and-large considered more important by most selectors.

BTW I really have to hope Brett Lee plays, and not only because I think that would quite possibly improve England's prospects.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
From the cricinfo preview... "All week the talk from the Australian camp has left English observers incredulous. How could they possibly contemplate leaving out Stuart Clark, a player with 29 wickets in six Ashes Tests, and the man whose straight lines and subtle swing goaded his colleagues into abandoning their scattergun approach at Headingley, to dramatically successful effect."

Ain't that the truth?

... and that is a terribly written sentence there from cricinfo.