• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So....what happens next?

What will happen at the Oval?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
South African scores his maiden Test century at The Oval do bring the Ashes back to England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it's a draw (unless it rains, in which case it's obviously out of anyone's control) I'll be spitting in fury. England's only chance is to win - an Australian win is neither here nor there, it's a question of England win or England don't win.

Either way I've expected Australia to win this series all along, it's surprised me (pleasantly so) how competetive England have been until Headingley, but I still think Australia hold most of the aces going into The Oval.

Say it again though - as long as it's a deck that enables a result, I'll be happier with that than with a draw.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We're ****ed, frankly. Ding Dong at #3? FFS, he averages practically a negative score there.

Crims by lots.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stars are aligning in our favour tbh. Let's see what Somerset can do in their second innings. Anyone remember when they last won the Twenty20 Cup?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stars are aligning in our favour tbh. Let's see what Somerset can do in their second innings. Anyone remember when they last won the Twenty20 Cup?
From what I hear in the room next door they're about to be beaten by Sussex? Not sure if that happened in 2005?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm honestly not sure - don't have a clue what happened in the Twenty20 finals any time from 2005 onwards. And never have had a clue what happened in any preliminaries, ever.

inbox24

International Debutant
Our only hope is that Clark gets dropped.
You can bet your house Clark will be gone, Hauritz is a shoe in for this test.

Although that's not necessarily a good thing as Hauritz's batting may come in handy when Australia collapses/makes a subpar score in the first innings.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Our only hope is that Clark gets dropped.
Just wish Lee would play. Then we'd have a chance. Mind, we'd also have a chance of him putting on a rare show and, along with The Rest, giving England no chance at all.

Can't see any justification for him playing, mind, but that doesn't mean he won't.

pup11

International Coach
A draw looks to be the odds on favourite atm, but then its the Ashes we're talking about, so anything can happen, so whichever team holds its nerve and handles the pressure better would be holding the urn after the end of this test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A draw looks to be the odds on favourite atm
Under no circumstances should it ever be that, and if it ever is it's bloody disappointing.

Applies to any series which is one-one going into the final match TBH, but more so than ever when there's a trophy at stake and the home side is trying to win it back. Under said circumstances a draw should always be made as close to impossible as can ever be the case.