Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'No Doctoring' of the pitch at the Oval

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Yes - there was a proposal in the 60's to bring in a rule that the last Test of a series should be six days if the series were level going in to it, but it never happened

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I wouldn't have been in favour of that rule four years ago, though mind you, in the end 3-1 would have looked much nicer
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    As for the meaining of "doctored", plainly the original poster used the word in terms of preparation of a deck to suit one team. What exactly is wrong with that usage is beyond me.
    It's a deliberately emotive term which implies illegitimacy. Which is why I say its real meaning is illegal alterations to the pitch during the course of the match. That is illegitimate. Deliberately preparing a pitch to enhance the chances of the home side as much as possible is not.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Yes - there was a proposal in the 60's to bring in a rule that the last Test of a series should be six days if the series were level going in to it, but it never happened
    That rule did come in briefly in the early 70's if a series wasn't decided going into the final test. In fact it was the only reason Australia were able to draw the series in 1972.

International Captain
    He certainly can't be accused of doctoring the pitch. In fact it doesn't appear as though any preparation went into it at all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    He certainly can't be accused of doctoring the pitch. In fact it doesn't appear as though any preparation went into it at all.
    They're blaming the weather, I believe. Mike Holding said in '76, when he took 14 wickets, that the summer was hotter yet the pitch was flatter than flat (other tidbits I've read from the other bowlers in the match confirm they were stunned with the zip Holding was getting).

Looks like the curator started the cutting/rolling part a bit too early and the hot weather dried it out more than he anticipated. There's not much in the way of seam on it from all indications but dry enough for the ball to really grip and cut/turn.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    They're blaming the weather, I believe. Mike Holding said in '76, when he took 14 wickets, that the summer was hotter yet the pitch was flatter than flat (other tidbits I've read from the other bowlers in the match confirm they were stunned with the zip Holding was getting).

Looks like the curator started the cutting/rolling part a bit too early and the hot weather dried it out more than he anticipated. There's not much in the way of seam on it from all indications but dry enough for the ball to really grip and cut/turn.
    The 1976 wicket was as flat as a pancake and it was only Holding's extreme pace that gave him success, the ball did nothing off the pitch for any type of bowler.

The current pitch is a disgrace. There hasn't been any unexpectedly hot weather since June. He clearly prepared it early in the hope of it deteriorating sufficiently to get a result on days 4 and 5. Instead the pitch lasted two sessions before the ball started taking chunks out of the surface on pitching. A result wicket is one thing, a result decided by the toss of a coin is no use to anyone (except gloating England fans at some stage tomorrow).
    Alec Stewart said on Sky Sports News that the groundsman should get a Knighthood.

U19 12th Man
    No point complaining about the pitch.

After the fourth test even the radio commentators said the Oval pitch will be a dustbowl in order to favour England.

Can't any of the Australians look at a pitch and have an idea what it might be like ?

Perhaps they should listen to the radio ?

Pitch like this>>>>flat deck

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Think the Mike Selvey quote in my sig is spot on.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    No point complaining about the pitch.

After the fourth test even the radio commentators said the Oval pitch will be a dustbowl in order to favour England.

Can't any of the Australians look at a pitch and have an idea what it might be like ?

Perhaps they should listen to the radio ?
    I'm not complaining as we're about to win The Ashes. If Australia had won the toss they would win the match even with the current bowling line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I'm not complaining as we're about to win The Ashes. If Australia had won the toss they would win the match even with the current bowling line-up.
    If Australia had won the toss they'd still be behind, in a better position obviously, but still behind. Broad's spell would have still decimated them whichever day it was.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    If Australia had won the toss they'd still be behind, in a better position obviously, but still behind. Broad's spell would have still decimated them whichever day it was.
    If Australia had batted on the first day, in the first two sessions in particular, Broad's spell wouldn't have happened.

What a pointless argument. Might as well argue that if England had picked me I'd have taken 7-4. Nobody ****ing knows so what is the point in stating such things as facts?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    What a pointless argument. Might as well argue that if England had picked me I'd have taken 7-4. Nobody ****ing knows so what is the point in stating such things as facts?
    Not really, it's a little bit different. Australia shouldn't have been bowled out for 160 regardless though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information