Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 113

Thread: 'No Doctoring' of the pitch at the Oval

  1. #31
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,409
    Yes - there was a proposal in the 60's to bring in a rule that the last Test of a series should be six days if the series were level going in to it, but it never happened

  2. #32
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,168
    I wouldn't have been in favour of that rule four years ago, though mind you, in the end 3-1 would have looked much nicer
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #33
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    As for the meaining of "doctored", plainly the original poster used the word in terms of preparation of a deck to suit one team. What exactly is wrong with that usage is beyond me.
    It's a deliberately emotive term which implies illegitimacy. Which is why I say its real meaning is illegal alterations to the pitch during the course of the match. That is illegitimate. Deliberately preparing a pitch to enhance the chances of the home side as much as possible is not.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #34
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,661
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Yes - there was a proposal in the 60's to bring in a rule that the last Test of a series should be six days if the series were level going in to it, but it never happened
    That rule did come in briefly in the early 70's if a series wasn't decided going into the final test. In fact it was the only reason Australia were able to draw the series in 1972.


  5. #35
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,661
    He certainly can't be accused of doctoring the pitch. In fact it doesn't appear as though any preparation went into it at all.

  6. #36
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    He certainly can't be accused of doctoring the pitch. In fact it doesn't appear as though any preparation went into it at all.
    They're blaming the weather, I believe. Mike Holding said in '76, when he took 14 wickets, that the summer was hotter yet the pitch was flatter than flat (other tidbits I've read from the other bowlers in the match confirm they were stunned with the zip Holding was getting).

    Looks like the curator started the cutting/rolling part a bit too early and the hot weather dried it out more than he anticipated. There's not much in the way of seam on it from all indications but dry enough for the ball to really grip and cut/turn.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  7. #37
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    They're blaming the weather, I believe. Mike Holding said in '76, when he took 14 wickets, that the summer was hotter yet the pitch was flatter than flat (other tidbits I've read from the other bowlers in the match confirm they were stunned with the zip Holding was getting).

    Looks like the curator started the cutting/rolling part a bit too early and the hot weather dried it out more than he anticipated. There's not much in the way of seam on it from all indications but dry enough for the ball to really grip and cut/turn.
    The 1976 wicket was as flat as a pancake and it was only Holding's extreme pace that gave him success, the ball did nothing off the pitch for any type of bowler.

    The current pitch is a disgrace. There hasn't been any unexpectedly hot weather since June. He clearly prepared it early in the hope of it deteriorating sufficiently to get a result on days 4 and 5. Instead the pitch lasted two sessions before the ball started taking chunks out of the surface on pitching. A result wicket is one thing, a result decided by the toss of a coin is no use to anyone (except gloating England fans at some stage tomorrow).
    Alec Stewart said on Sky Sports News that the groundsman should get a Knighthood.

  8. #38
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    280
    No point complaining about the pitch.

    After the fourth test even the radio commentators said the Oval pitch will be a dustbowl in order to favour England.

    Can't any of the Australians look at a pitch and have an idea what it might be like ?

    Perhaps they should listen to the radio ?

  9. #39
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,168
    Pitch like this>>>>flat deck

  10. #40
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,441
    Think the Mike Selvey quote in my sig is spot on.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  11. #41
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    No point complaining about the pitch.

    After the fourth test even the radio commentators said the Oval pitch will be a dustbowl in order to favour England.

    Can't any of the Australians look at a pitch and have an idea what it might be like ?

    Perhaps they should listen to the radio ?
    I'm not complaining as we're about to win The Ashes. If Australia had won the toss they would win the match even with the current bowling line-up.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I'm not complaining as we're about to win The Ashes. If Australia had won the toss they would win the match even with the current bowling line-up.
    If Australia had won the toss they'd still be behind, in a better position obviously, but still behind. Broad's spell would have still decimated them whichever day it was.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  13. #43
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    If Australia had won the toss they'd still be behind, in a better position obviously, but still behind. Broad's spell would have still decimated them whichever day it was.
    If Australia had batted on the first day, in the first two sessions in particular, Broad's spell wouldn't have happened.

  14. #44
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,168
    What a pointless argument. Might as well argue that if England had picked me I'd have taken 7-4. Nobody ****ing knows so what is the point in stating such things as facts?

  15. #45
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    What a pointless argument. Might as well argue that if England had picked me I'd have taken 7-4. Nobody ****ing knows so what is the point in stating such things as facts?
    Not really, it's a little bit different. Australia shouldn't have been bowled out for 160 regardless though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Official Under 19 World Cup thread
    By JASON in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 392
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 04:09 AM
  2. Monty
    By Unattainableguy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 25-09-2007, 06:14 AM
  3. Giles retires
    By Steulen in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 14-08-2007, 10:32 AM
  4. Mahmood and Panesar power England to series glory
    By symonds_94 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •