• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

97 vs 09

Which was a better ashes?

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
I will go for 97.

The only thing 97 had going against is that it was decided before the final test but overall the quality of cricket was much better then this one, however a classic final test mighy still sway my oponion.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'09 deffo. Sides are a little more evenly matched whereas, after Edgbaston, Aus were clearly the better side in 1997. Dispute better cricket played in 1997 too; the Aus bowling was obviously better but the Aus batting I've found so much better this series, Elliott aside (who was immense; loved his play against the short balls).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it depends what you're after. Would disagree with T_C slightly about the quality of the cricket, think it was definitely better back then. Although we were generally having our arses handed to us, I reckon our batsmen stood up more in 1997 against a genuinely great Oz attack & our seam attack of Caddick, Gough & Headley looks pretty bloody decent in retrospect.

However, despite Dicko's occasional "black is actually white" assertions round these parts that '97 was a close series, supported with "if X had/hadn't happened we'd have clearly won Y test" (& if my auntie had a ****, etc...), it was AN Other thrashing after the first test. If memory serves rain saved us in the second test (McGrath took his test best figures I think?) and we won at The Oval with the series gone to add a flattering sheen to the scoreline.

Have gone 2009 because it's been more of a contest, but it's been the closeness of the score rather than the quality of the cricket that has kept us interested IMHO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However, despite Dicko's occasional "black is actually white" assertions round these parts that '97 was a close series, supported with "if X had/hadn't happened we'd have clearly won Y test" (& if my auntie had a ****, etc...), it was AN Other thrashing after the first test.
Actually it wasn't. Fair to say England were hammered at Lord's with lots of rain almost certainly saving defeat, but the next two hinged on one crucial moment, which had it gone England's way they would very probably have won the game - Stephen Waugh's n\o at Old Trafford and Elliott's dropped catch at Headingley. Only at Trent Bridge were England completely outplayed and beaten, before winning a close game at The Oval that they could have lost (and no, don't anyone go claiming the fact it was a dead game meant that much - Australia historically struggle equally chasing small scores dead or live Test). People can try to discredit this sort of thing with the usual "if my aunty had a ****" nonsense, but that's what happened.

Australia were certainly the better side in '97 and deserved to win, but it was a closely-fought series which could easily have gone either way.

Anyway, certainly agree that we shouldn't be assessing the relative merits and demerits of two series' when one has had six Tests complete and the other four with one remaining. Ask me after The Oval.

And yes, the question of quality of cricket and exciting-ness are very often two different ones - see '05 and '06/07 for instance - and this might well be another such.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we've seen lots of quality cricket this series, from both sides. Just never from both at the same time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And even then we couldn't fully concentrate on that because of the furore over the Umpiring. And the game was essentially decided as said innings begun anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I disagree so much with that, and I certainly never slept a wink on the Sunday night

0RI0N

State 12th Man
97 for me.
Eng stunning 0z in the 1st test.Nas n Thorpe batting brilliantly after Caddick and Gough bowled 0z out cheaply.
Tubby getting a 100 after months of batting torment.
1 -0 Eng
/
Lords Test a draw.McGrath providing a masterclass.
1 -0 Eng
/
2nd Test Old Trafford
Steve Waugh's 108 and 116 on a difficult and tricky pitch.
1 - 1
/
3rd Test at H'dingley
Thorpe drops MTG Elliot early on.
Elliot and Ponting partnership guides 0z to huge lead.
Jason Gillespie 7fers in Eng 2nd innings.
1-2 to Aus
/
5th Test at Trent Bridge was a Test that was anybody's but ultimately tilted 0z way by Ian Healy's innings(and some lower order runs)
1-3 Aus and Ashes retained
/
6th Test at the Oval (last of the 6 match Ashes series in England)
Low scoring match in which The Cat bags 11 wickets to give the English a consolation victory
2-3 to Aus
/
England had periods at Old Trafford and Trent Bridge where they should've closed 0z out but they didn't.
At Old Trafford they ran into the iron will of Steve Waugh.
At Trent Bridge they allowed the 0z lower order to score crucial runs.
But at the end Aus won 3 Tests on the bounce in England since who knows when.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree so much with that, and I certainly never slept a wink on the Sunday night
Yeah but you're an ultra-patriot. Us realistically-minded types knew that Australia never, at any point in their innings, had a hope in hell of chasing 500-odd. Though we should've made them chase far more.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but you're an ultra-patriot. Us realistically-minded types knew that Australia never, at any point in their innings, had a hope in hell of chasing 500-odd. Though we should've made them chase far more.
I'm not an ultra-patriot, more an ultra-supporter of the England cricket team, FTR. but anyway, I'm also an eternal optimist, so if I'm worried, everyone else should be :p

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hate British/English patriotism. Which is something I class as something entirely different from passionately following a national team btw. I just really think that as a nation on a whole, are way of being patriotic absolutely sucks. I can't stand all the mini Union Jacks and things like that, gah.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
I hate British/English patriotism. Which is something I class as something entirely different from passionately following a national team btw. I just really think that as a nation on a whole, are way of being patriotic absolutely sucks. I can't stand all the mini Union Jacks and things like that, gah.
Lol sledger, could be worse...imagine Union Jacks displayed on people's property American style!
Or those little flags that American politicians stick to their jackets.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, hence why I wanted to disasocciate myself with an absolute reference of patriotism. There are definite connotations of full-on racism with such English patriotism (not entirely fair but understandable) but I support our cricket team more than I do any other sporting team barring the mighty whites.

Get behind the footy team as well but not as much as I do the cricketers, mainly because I find it hard to devote much energy to a second footy team throughout the season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Lol sledger, could be worse...imagine Union Jacks displayed on people's property American style!
Or those little flags that American politicians stick to their jackets.
That is true, though to be fair to our American counterparts, at least you get the feeling that a lot of them genuinely care about their country and are proud to be American, I honestly feel there are fewer and fewer people in the UK who you could say that for. I myself am probably in that category, I feel priveleged and lucky to have been brought up in the UK and to have had the opportunities I have, but at the same time I wouldn't really say I am proud of the country in it's current state.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not an ultra-patriot, more an ultra-supporter of the England cricket team, FTR.
Ay, I guess, but they're two pretty similar things.
but anyway, I'm also an eternal optimist, so if I'm worried, everyone else should be :p
Nah, DWTA. I think you're far less optimistic in your head than you are in your heart, TBH. Any decent England fan who has something called a "memory" is, really.