• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australia play for the draw?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve his spot, or he hasn't played well - just that it is a conservative selection. I would have chosen either of the guys you mention ahead of Broad.

He is a great one-day player, but lacks penetration as a bowler at test level. His figures for this series are overinflated because of the last test - where he happened to be bowling when Australia went the tonk.

When Flintoff is gone and you have to pick a mere mortal all-rounder I hope he has improved and is the one who fits the bill, more impressive than Bresnan. One thing England always seems to have over Australia is the all-rounder. Can see it continuing with this guy as his batting improves.
Harmison has done nothing to suggest he deserves to be selected ahead of Broad, though. They've only played a handful of Tests together; Harmison was better at The Oval last year but other than that Broad has outbowled him every time. Same with Sidebottom - some would say that's because of Sidebottom's fitness issues. Hell it probably is, but are they issues that are likely to go away? Sadly not, the guy is one of my favourite players but I wouldn't have him in the team. I don't think there is any bowler who genuinely has a case to be in the team ahead of Broad other than those that are in there with him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Strange to use his past record at 6 as a reason for not batting him at 6 (which was a fair while ago), considering his record as an opener prior to this series.

If he is playing as an all-rounder it makes much more sense to bat him down the order. If he is at the end of a long spell - then cleans up the tail he will have a 5 minute turnaround to be out batting. He appears to be having a bit of trouble with concentration as it is getting out just over 50 3 inning in succession.

You're suggesting disrupting the batting order to accommodate Watson. There is a pecking order and Watson IMO is at the bottom...well maybe ahead of Hussey. What is best for him should be considered last (second last)Suggesting Watson or Katich at 4 is very odd - when there is this guy call Michael Clarke, who is getting runs and should be at 4 now..

Agree with your sentiment re: batting No.3 in the future...would like to see either Watson or North there. But whoever takes it has to earn it. Clarke has been earmarked by the powers that be - but I think he is more suited to 4.
I was talking FC as well as tests.

readie

State Regular
Theres no way in hell an Australian side will ever start a match with a mindset of trying to draw a match to secure anything, we're not the English. Any captain who would consider it is a fool.

We've been unfortunate to not be 2-1 up at this stage. We'll be going in for the kill at the Oval trying to continue on the momentum from the 4th test.