• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why isn't Ryan Sidebottom in the team?

Pigeon

Banned
The three previous Test series' suggested his bowling in those first two Tests were more exception than rule, tbh.

Anyway, no-one can predict where he's going to go but if there's one thing about his bowling in the past year that stands out, it's that he's done the business for Aus on everything from the flattest decks to the swingiest green tops. Pretty rare a bowler can take wickets in such varied conditions and not have a decent career.
Was terrible in India FTR.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was terrible in India FTR.
No he wasn't. Wasn't awesome (as most pace bowler aren't in India) but was Aus's best bowler by some distance.

And, as with many others, I suspect you've forgotten Aus played NZ at home last season as well as SA. Ergo, before this series he's played SA in two separate series' and NZ in another.

Good indicator of his release position and flaws in his action.
For that ball and, sure, quite a few others. Ignores that for whole spells he often has the seam position right as he did in the last Test, through most of the SA home summer, etc. Picking one photo of him when he's been at his worst and presuming it accurately covers his bowling in general just isn't right at all.

Pigeon

Banned
No he wasn't. Wasn't awesome (as most pace bowler aren't in India) but was Aus's best bowler by some distance.
Not at all. Watson was the best bowler in that series, and Clark was second. Krejza too was pretty successful, but Johnson was lucky to end up with the wickets. He was mediocre to terrible in that series.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not at all. Watson was the best bowler in that series, and Clark was second. Krejza too was pretty successful, but Johnson was lucky to end up with the wickets. He was mediocre to terrible in that series.
Couldn't disagree more but meh.

alw1971

Cricket Spectator
Anyone else automatically figure out that this poster is French without checking the location? Wondering whether poor opinions are genetic or picked up from something in the waterover there. Leaning towards the latter - goughy knows the score, and he got out a while ago. Coincidence?
Numpty.......What's wrong mate, have a bad day!:laugh: Thought you would insult a fellow member?:-O Fire away, probably don't care much for your opinion's either!:@

What's the problem with dropping Harmison or Anderson for Sidebottom? Harmison is no longer the bowler he was years ago. Anderson is ok when the weather suits but generally gets taken apart when it doesn't.

My 11 for the final test, give you chance to pick faults with something else!:unsure:

Strauss
Cook
Key
Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Onions

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What's the problem with dropping Harmison or Anderson for Sidebottom? Harmison is no longer the bowler he was years ago. Anderson is ok when the weather suits but generally gets taken apart when it doesn't.
That last point could be equally, if not more, used to describe Sidebottom. I'd say he's worse as he hasn't got as much pace as Anderson (and is also far less of a team man)

FBU

International Debutant
Just looking at county cricket without the Tests

1529.0 overs 205 wickets at 24.52 econ 3.28 s/r 44.7 - 11 5fers 2 10fers - Anderson
3279.2 overs 366 wickets at 25.25 econ 2.81 s/r 53.7 - 14 5fers 1 10fer Sidebottom

limited overs

372.4 overs 70 wickets at 23.58 econ 4.43 s/r 31.9 - Anderson
1026.1 overs 141 wickets at 30.75 econ 4.22 s/r 43.6 - Sidebottom

How do they bowl at their own grounds and each others...

Old Trafford
Anderson 23.95
Sidebottom 38.60

Trent Bridge
Anderson 22.00
Sidebottom 27.96

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Just looking at county cricket without the Tests

1529.0 overs 205 wickets at 24.52 econ 3.28 s/r 44.7 - 11 5fers 2 10fers - Anderson
3279.2 overs 366 wickets at 25.25 econ 2.81 s/r 53.7 - 14 5fers 1 10fer Sidebottom

limited overs

372.4 overs 70 wickets at 23.58 econ 4.43 s/r 31.9 - Anderson
1026.1 overs 141 wickets at 30.75 econ 4.22 s/r 43.6 - Sidebottom

How do they bowl at their own grounds and each others...

Old Trafford
Anderson 23.95
Sidebottom 38.60

Trent Bridge
Anderson 22.00
Sidebottom 27.96
How do you get hold of these sorts of stats, FBU?

tooextracool

International Coach
I'd have picked Sidebottom ahead of Anderson or Onions cos for me he is more consistent. All 3 regularly swing the ball both ways but Sidebottom doesn't have nearly as many off days as Anderson. Onions hasn't played enough for me to decide on him really.
Sidebottom also doesnt have very many days when he takes wickets either. The idea of dropping Anderson whos been the only bowler outside of Flintoff at Lords to look like bowling Australia out is laughable to say the least.

Im not surprised that he struggled at Headingley, I said it before he bowled his first ball that I would have had Onions and Harmison open instead of Anderson. Anderson has had an awful record at Headingley in all forms of the game and his type of bowling is just not suited to the pitch there. Although, saying that, I was expecting him to not bowl the kind of tripe he served up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How do you get hold of these sorts of stats, FBU?
Presumably just PlayerOracle First-Class, "shire" for Sidebottom and "Lancashire" for Anderson (Sidebottom has only played for Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire so it'll get both of them), and bingo.