Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 202

Thread: Mark Ramprakash

  1. #61
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,038
    Warming to the theme slightly, perhaps we could learn something from Australia here. Their selectors have taken two ballsy decisions to drop players (Hughes & Hauritz) and have been rewarded both times. Hauritz in particular was unlucky, but Clark's decimation of our middle order on day one justified the decision.

    In times of crisis I find solace in cliches, so I'll just say fortune favours the brave and be done with it.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  2. #62
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Hmm, disagree to be honest. Bell has got one decent score (yeah, he had lives, but I didn't see any calls for Pietersen to be dropped after The Oval 05 ) and then failed in a match where the whole line-up has failed. Bopara has failed all series long.
    The difference between Bell and Pietersen is the fact that Pietersen scored about 100 runs more than Bell with the same number of lives. That is the difference between a half decent player and a good one.

    Regarding Bell v Bopara, you are right Bopara has failed all series long, but Bell has failed all career long.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  3. #63
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,532
    Yeah, I was joking about Pietersen tbh, a tad harsh on saying Bell has failed all career long, but he certainly has generally been disappointing. That being said who would I back to score more runs, Bell or Bopara? I'd have to say Bell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,741
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah, I was joking about Pietersen tbh, a tad harsh on saying Bell has failed all career long, but he certainly has generally been disappointing. That being said who would I back to score more runs, Bell or Bopara? I'd have to say Bell.
    Yeah, AWTA. Regardless of how much Bell has disappointed, I still think he's more likely to score runs against Australia than Bopara. Even if it's just his normal lot of a fluent 50 without going on in one innings and a score below 10 in other, that's more of a contribution than I expect Bopara to make.

    For my money, Bopara has to go. The question of Ramprakash isn't whether he's more likely than Bopara because, IMO, that's a given at this point. It's whether he's more likely than Trott, Joyce, Carberry, Key etc.. and I don't really know how I feel about that. The romantic side of me wants him to get picked but I'm not sure if I'd actually have the balls to do it myself; I'd probably just pick Trott or Joyce.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite


  5. #65
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,424
    To paraphrase Quint from Jaws might say about a forty year old Ramps being thrown in the deep end:
    England go in the water? You go in the water? Johnson in the water. (sings)
    Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  6. #66
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    To paraphrase Quint from Jaws might say about a forty year old Ramps being thrown in the deep end:
    England go in the water? You go in the water? Johnson in the water. (sings)
    Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...


    tbf Ramps has scored plenty of runs at the Oval against better bowlers than this lot

  7. #67
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    There are several problems with this.
    Langer made his debut not when the series was square at 1-1. He came in with Australia on top 1-0, and hence there was less pressure on him to perform. I don't doubt that Langer had the sort of mental fortitude that few international players possess (and expecting everyone to have the same sort of steel that he did would be seriously deluding yourself), but even then when it came down to the series deciding game at the WACA, he failed.
    That's unfair. He was forced to open when Aus dropped Mark Taylor for the 5th and in the first dig, copped the worst decision I've ever seen, bat missing ball by miles. That the Aussies were 1-0 up meant little because WI were just hitting their straps after demolishing Aus in the ODI series. JL didn't have some superhuman mental strength no-one else possesses, either. He was a tough character but no tougher than anyone else running around at the time.

    [QUOTE=tooextracool;2002895]Langer also had the stability and the experience of the Australian middle order to fall back on. There is a serious, serious difference between having (Steve Waugh who had something like 50 tests on him at the time) and Allan Border (who had well over 100 by this point) coming in after you than having 3 out of Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Paul Collingwood and Prior.

    AB was a walking wicket by that Test and Steve Waugh was on the verge of being dropped having not been able to establish himself at 3. Have to ask, did you see the series? The Aussie batting was a mess. This was after AB and Mark Waugh had scored tons at Melbourne. It was amazing how quickly their form deserted them when the WI started bowling well. JL walked into the side right in the middle of a bunch of guys playing terribly with a couple (Taylor, the Waughs) playing for their places.

    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    And thats not even considering the fact that Taylor and Boon were opening at the time that there was enough proven and experienced players in that side to take that risk.
    I take it you didn't watch then. Taylor was dropped after the Adelaide Test because he'd barely scored a run. Only Boonie really looked likely to score serious runs against that WI attack.

    I'll give you that the experience of the Aussie top order was there but they were absolutely on the back-foot by that Test and JL walked into a very, very unstable top-order. Materially, I don't think there's much difference in terms of pressure that a first-gamer would face walking into that line-up vs the England one for the Oval.

  8. #68
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,149
    If Ramps had his current test record, and was scoring runs in FC cricket like he is now, but was 29 instead of 39, would people view his potential selection differently?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  9. #69
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    13,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

    For my money, Bopara has to go. The question of Ramprakash isn't whether he's more likely than Bopara because, IMO, that's a given at this point. It's whether he's more likely than Trott, Joyce, Carberry, Key etc.. and I don't really know how I feel about that. The romantic side of me wants him to get picked but I'm not sure if I'd actually have the balls to do it myself; I'd probably just pick Trott or Joyce.
    Agreed. Bopara must go. Sometimes batsmen look out of form. Other times, they look out of their depth. He falls into the latter basket. I'd back Chris Tavare in over him at the Oval.

  10. #70
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    That's unfair. He was forced to open when Aus dropped Mark Taylor for the 5th and in the first dig, copped the worst decision I've ever seen, bat missing ball by miles. That the Aussies were 1-0 up meant little because WI were just hitting their straps after demolishing Aus in the ODI series. JL didn't have some superhuman mental strength no-one else possesses, either. He was a tough character but no tougher than anyone else running around at the time.


    AB was a walking wicket by that Test and Steve Waugh was on the verge of being dropped having not been able to establish himself at 3. Have to ask, did you see the series? The Aussie batting was a mess. This was after AB and Mark Waugh had scored tons at Melbourne. It was amazing how quickly their form deserted them when the WI started bowling well. JL walked into the side right in the middle of a bunch of guys playing terribly with a couple (Taylor, the Waughs) playing for their places.
    You are right, I didnt watch the series, except for highlights. Havent claimed to have either.

    However, firstly on AB if he was a walking wicket with scores of 39, 60, 112,16 and 57 at an average of 55 before the game where Langer was picked then standards back then must have been pretty high. AB's patch only really started after that, and it extended pretty much all the way to the Ashes that year as I do remember that his double ton at Headingley silenced a lot of critics, if only temporarily

    Similarly, both Boon and Mark Waugh had had plenty of success during the series before Langer got picked so it was hardly a completely malfunctioning batting card as England's is ATM. Granted, Langer too was thrown into the cauldron, but just because he came out with some sort of credit in the bank it doesnt mean that it was the right choice ITFP. If you ask me, I would have picked Dean Jones instead of Langer who was rather unfairly cast aside despite doing very little wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I'll give you that the experience of the Aussie top order was there but they were absolutely on the back-foot by that Test and JL walked into a very, very unstable top-order. Materially, I don't think there's much difference in terms of pressure that a first-gamer would face walking into that line-up vs the England one for the Oval.
    That maybe the case, but it doesnt mean that it was a good move to pick Langer then and it wouldn't be a good move to pick Trott now IMO. He may very well get picked and end up scoring a century, but the fact is that logically speaking i simply think that it would be asking too much from someone in their first test to come in and rescue a failing middle order with all to play for and the series at 1-1.

  11. #71
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    If Ramps had his current test record, and was scoring runs in FC cricket like he is now, but was 29 instead of 39, would people view his potential selection differently?
    I would think so because tbh, despite the differences in averages, I dont think Ramprakash was anymore of a failure at the test match level than Ian Bell and the latter is 27 and is still constantly picked. Ramps ironically even in his best years had an astonishingly poor conversion rate much like Ian Bell.

    At the domestic level, Ramprakash is undoubtedly the better player, and one could argue hes the best in the country at that. Yes, its only domestic cricket but lets face it, some of the attacks that he has faced in domestic cricket over the years are just as good as this Aussie attack.

  12. #72
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,149
    This trait in some players of being excellent at FC level and largely appalling at test level is, imo, one of the more curious phenomena going around.

  13. #73
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    I would think so because tbh, despite the differences in averages, I dont think Ramprakash was anymore of a failure at the test match level than Ian Bell and the latter is 27 and is still constantly picked. Ramps ironically even in his best years had an astonishingly poor conversion rate much like Ian Bell.

    At the domestic level, Ramprakash is undoubtedly the better player, and one could argue hes the best in the country at that. Yes, its only domestic cricket but lets face it, some of the attacks that he has faced in domestic cricket over the years are just as good as this Aussie attack.
    Holdddd up Teco, you know thats nonsense..

  14. #74
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    However, firstly on AB if he was a walking wicket with scores of 39, 60, 112,16 and 57 at an average of 55 before the game where Langer was picked then standards back then must have been pretty high. AB's patch only really started after that, and it extended pretty much all the way to the Ashes that year as I do remember that his double ton at Headingley silenced a lot of critics, if only temporarily
    Again, though, that's revisionism. AB's ODI form tapered off in the time between the Sydney Test and Adelaide. The WI bowlers stopped bowling line-and-length and started with the intimidation and AB looked shot. Just have to look at his out in the 2nd dig at Adelaide, fending away a chest ball to short leg. Decent ball but I remember he looked uncomfortable for a while before that.

    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Similarly, both Boon and Mark Waugh had had plenty of success during the series before Langer got picked so it was hardly a completely malfunctioning batting card as England's is ATM. Granted, Langer too was thrown into the cauldron, but just because he came out with some sort of credit in the bank it doesnt mean that it was the right choice ITFP. If you ask me, I would have picked Dean Jones instead of Langer who was rather unfairly cast aside despite doing very little wrong.
    Haha, oh man did I bitch about Deano's non-selection at the time. But, truthfully, although he scored well on the tour to SL, he wasn't part of the new guard. Had a habit of picking up his good scores in dead rubbers towards the end which isn't useful if you want to win Test series.

    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    That maybe the case, but it doesnt mean that it was a good move to pick Langer then and it wouldn't be a good move to pick Trott now IMO. He may very well get picked and end up scoring a century, but the fact is that logically speaking i simply think that it would be asking too much from someone in their first test to come in and rescue a failing middle order with all to play for and the series at 1-1.
    Are we asking him to rescue it, though? It might be enough that he contributes. At 29, he shoudl know his game pretty well by now. I just don't think the gulf between the sides is that great. Aus's bowling has stepped up, no doubt. It's still not one you'd put any serious money on, though.

  15. #75
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    England would do better to go with someone like Stewie Law..


    That would be interesting!
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

    "There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

    "**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Will Mark Ramprakash play for England this summer?
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 21-05-2019, 07:32 AM
  2. Graeme Hick V Mark Ramprakash
    By GIMH in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 17-05-2018, 03:30 AM
  3. Mark Ramprakash 100 hundreds
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
  4. Mark ramprakash
    By fieldy_17 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16-03-2008, 09:09 AM
  5. Mark Nicholas Dumped
    By age_master in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 24-10-2005, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •