• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Ramprakash

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd love little more than to see him recalled and do well, but do I actually think he's more likely than Bell, Joyce or Trott? I'm not sure, TBH.

I'm sure he's a better batsman than them, as such, but Ramprakash and Test level just don't mix. I know he has a good record against Australia but, really, I think that's merely a case of any decent batsman scoring enough runs if you give them enough chances - his runs just happened to come against Australia (lord knows he was technically capable enough to score against anyone if he had his head on right).

I don't think it'd be a terrible decision and I wouldn't go and post in the official selection errors thread if he got picked but I myself probably wouldn't pick him and I highly doubt he'll be there.

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes please!

You call tails 9 times in a row for it to come up heads. Do you change for the tenth toss?

The statistical odds of one of Bopora, Bell or Collingwood not scoring some runs must be mind blowing. Adding Ramprakash or anyone else who has not demanded selection is rolling new dice. They must stick with what they've got.

If they have had a decent chance - it can be said that particularly Ravi and Bell have buried themselves.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
An absolute deadset yes, would be delighted with such a selection.
A 40 year old never has been?

Batting average of 27 from 52 test with only 2 centuries?

Is this the death throes of English cricket? Should the ICC start considering removing England's test status and give it to Ireland?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Is this the death throes of English cricket? Should the ICC start considering removing England's test status and give it to Ireland?
Cool story bro.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would certainly not object, are there really any better options? Obviously he might easily fail and everyone will say Ramps and test cricket and all that but it is one test at his home ground where he has scored a test century. In the end it comes down to which batsman is most likely to score runs, I for one would be more confident seeing Ramps walk out at the three than Joyce, Trott, Key or any other English qualified player currently not in the side.
Having said that I would be really pleased if they gave Carberry a go, he is on great form player and has always done well for the Lions, think he would react well to the pressure of international cricket,

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, would absolutely love it. England have no obviously better candidates anyway. Do ittttttttttt

Pigeon

Banned

Sounds better than the Watson decision ahead of the 4th test. :ph34r:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be great if he came in and did well.

Doubt they'll call him up though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be great if he came in and did well.

Doubt they'll call him up though.
Why would it be great?

The selection of a 39 year old proven failure at test level would simply be a massive slap in the face to every aspiring young batsman in the UK and a sure sign of panic from the Eng selectors

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would it be great?
If he was picked and did well, it would be a great story - an unlikely comeback, and old stager triumphing, a glorious redemption, and at his home ground, etc etc etc. I don't see why anyone wouldn't see that.

The selection of a 39 year old proven failure at test level would simply be a massive slap in the face to every aspiring young batsman in the UK and a sure sign of panic from the Eng selectors
I don't think his age, or the reaction of others who aren't picked, should be relevant considerations. It's a one-off, must-win Test and you should pick the best players for it regardless of age and regardless of whether others might be disappointed not to be picked.

Which is not to say that Ramps is necessarily the best bet. Your point about him being a proven failure at Test level is a valid one. Although to be fair, as has been pointed out repeatedly, his record against Australia is OK.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Picking Ramps to play, would be like the selection of Bicknell vs SA 03. He could do a job for this ONE test (wont take him to SA) - but he could fail as well given the quality of AUS pace attack right now. Interesting catch-22, but i wont be againts picking him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming he's fit enough to play a test (which apparently he isn't) I would be more for picking him if he'd scored his runs in Division 1. This whole two divisions thing does complicate matters a little for selection... Key and Shah are also scoring their runs in Div 2, whereas Trott is scoring them in Div 1. The other likely-looking players scoring in Div 1 are Carberry, Read and Hildreth.