• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer's pre-ashes dossier in the Telegraph

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Langer's 'Anderson's a bit of a *****' Dossier

Suprised there isn't already a thread for this so thought I'd make one. It appears Justin Langer's written a dossier about some of the England players and English players in general, and it's been leaked in the Telegraph. Agree with most of it apart from his tactics against Bopara against whom I'd bowl inswingers to get him playing around that front pad. Both he and Bell have a similar weakness, it's no coincidence that this is the first time ever that England's no.3 and 4 have scored in single figures in both innings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/5996840/In-full-Justin-Langers-Ashes-dossier.html

Vaughan's response is almost as interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/5995694/The-Ashes-Justin-Langer-is-largely-right-says-Michael-Vaughan.html

Any opinions?

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone read it? Apparently it's as damning as you can get.
There are links at the top of the page. Think it's fairly close to the mark given what we've seen so far, and Vaughan's reply indicates as much. The part about Bopara being a good batsman is obviously a little way off the mark though.

Both articles are interesting.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon that there's a fair bit to be said about his comments on Jimmy Anderson. The fact that he would have played most of his Tests in a five man attack may have covered up the fact that there is still far too much of a difference between his best and worst, and that there can't be such a difference in his attitude just because the ball is swinging.

I'm not sure that he can be called a world class bowler, until he can be counted to produce consistency in flat conditions. I'm not asking him to take hauls in good batting conditions, just to be reliable and able to bowl in a partnership.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
they will taper off very quickly if you wear them down in all apartments.
That's a bit harsh, surely? Nothing wrong with some mind games during a match, but leave them on the cricket field.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course, Langer confirms the Murray Mints infamy, and Vaughan says nothing to dispel it.

Rest of it is largely accurate too. Which might explain why they resort to the mints to try and overcome the other shortcomings.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say I'm amazed that Tresco's little Murraymints joke seems to have found it's way into Ashes folklore - there are some gullible folk around (and bitter ones) :)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In a slightly Kevin Keegan sort of way, I'd love it if we won at the Oval, preferably with The ***** taking 10 wickets.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
what about jelly beans on the wicket...
Hardly obtaining an advantage, unfair or otherwise. The Indian over-reaction to it was pretty bizarre imho. Although having said which Zaheer Khan used it to motivate himself to a match-winning bowling performance, so that's a plus point for bizarre over-reactions I suppose

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
"I'm shattered and really upset. That was an email meant only for Tim Nielsen. It was private correspondence and has now found its way into the public domain. It's a joke. Everyone who knows me knows it's not my go to bag anyone. But behind closed doors everyone is going to have an opinion and this was a message that was meant for behind closed doors. It's disappointing."
Surprising, to say the least, that someone like Justin Langer can have been so staggeringly naive.

And I'm sorry JL but you cannot have it both ways. In public: "It's not my go to bag anyone" and in private: "Anderson - a bit of a *****". Give me a ****ing break.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Banned
Hardly obtaining an advantage, unfair or otherwise. The Indian over-reaction to it was pretty bizarre imho. Although having said which Zaheer Khan used it to motivate himself to a match-winning bowling performance, so that's a plus point for bizarre over-reactions I suppose
I cannot agree with your statement there. Jelly bean episode was very childish prank but which was not even remotedly funny. What next? Planting balloons on the wickets? Wear "I am Sly Stallon fan" T shirts to the middle? Cricket is a gentleman's game and is played with mutual respect and maximum competition. To try and inject such stupid stuff which is detrimental to the game's status, atleast in the test format, required abject criticism which Zaheer did.