• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm with you on that. Can't quite believe he's got an average comparable to Thorpe's after more than 50 Tests.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really like the bloke, wish him well, think he's got a lot of character, and a reasonable amount of ability. That said, there is just something about him, which...I just can't put my finger on, something just always says to me "He is not a test cricketer". Having said that, my stance at the present is that he should without question be in the side.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Have always had my reservations about him as well, but he's miles ahead of anyone else in the middle order right now and should be played in the key position role as opposed to the rebuilder role.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have always had my reservations about him as well, but he's miles ahead of anyone else in the middle order right now and should be played in the key position role as opposed to the rebuilder role.
Normally I would be inclined to agree, however, if he is to bat higher up, there simply will not be a rebuilder role, which for a team like England would be suicidal.

JBH001

International Regular
Yes. Needs to bat 3 or 4, IMO.

FBU

International Debutant
Bowling at the Oval

Broad 1 Test 5 wickets at 20.80 econ 3.42 s/r 36.4 - (SA)
Harmison 5 Tests 22 wickets at 26.00 econ 3.29 s/r 47.4 - (Aus, Pak, SA, WI 04)
Anderson 4 Tests 18 wickets at 31.77 econ 3.83 s/r 49.7 - (India, SA, WI 04)
Flintoff 4 Tests 11 wickets at 33.18 econ 3.11 s/r 63.8 - (Aus, SA, WI 04)
Panesar 3 Tests - 7 wickets at 51.57 econ 3.19 s/r 96.7 - (India, Pak, SA)
Sidebottom 1 Test 1 wicket at 93.00 econ 2.90 s/r 192.00 - (India)

Swann -4 f/c matches 11 wickets at 32.45
Onions hasn't bowled at the Oval in any form of cricket.

Batting

Cook 3 Tests 55.50 3 50s - (India, Pak, SA)
Flintoff 4 Tests 53.40 3 50s - (Aus, SA, WI 04)
Collingwood 4 Tests 39.33 2 50s - (Aus, India, Pak, SA)
Strauss 5 Tests 37.55 1 100 2 50s - (Aus, India, SA, Pak, WI 04)
Bell 5 Tests 30.75 3 50s - (Aus, Pak, SA, India, WI 04)
Prior - 1 Test 12.00 - (India)

f/c
Joyce - 2 f/c 77.33
Key 1 Test 10.00 - f/c 46.00
Bopara 1 f/c 33.00
Trott - 1 f/c 20.00

Australia at the Oval

Bowling
Clark, Siddle, Johnson, Hauritz and Hilfenhaus haven't bowled at the Oval
Lee 2 Tests 2 wickets at 127.50 econ 3.80 s/r 201.00

Batting
Clarke 1 Test 25.00
Ponting 3 Tests 39.25 1 50
Katich 1 Test 1.00
-----------

I can't believe the talk of two spinners is coming up again. :@
Vaughan would drop Broad for Panesar. :yucky:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
We've been the best team in both of the other Tests that took place in England (not Wales or France), so we should win here.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
"I haven't been on Twitter yet, so I can't really tell you."
One of Australia's selectors, Merv Hughes, when asked the likely team for The Oval

:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would probaly go with this for ENG middle order (presuming Flintoff is fit):

Key
Colly
Trott
Prior

If Flintoff aint fit, i'd call up Joyce as well. Thus picking 6 bats & 4 seamers (Braod included).

But overall, this has been the writing on the wall for ENG for a long while given the dire quality of cricket, in county cricket. The back-up batting is just gash. Hopefully the latest import in Morgan can do a KP in the coming years.

Somehow black ppl need to start liking cricket again & the Asians (the majority at least) need to want to play for ENG more. The talent pool is really limited in this country.

inbox24

International Debutant
England should go with this:

Strauss
Cook
Key/Trott
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson
Onions

The batting there is solid and the bowling has the potential and variety.

pup11

International Coach
England should go with this:

Strauss
Cook
Key/Trott
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson
Onions

The batting there is solid and the bowling has the potential and variety.
I'm surprised that so many people are backing Ramps to play in one more test, Bopara and Bell have been criticised for not being mentally good enough, but don't know how Ramps is any better than them in that regard.