Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 198 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Cricket Spectator
    For a 1 match series Ramps needs to come in, batting at his home ground i'd put money on him scoring big runs. It's not like he's playing Warne, their bowling attack is ok but nothing Ramps can't handle. He's a difference man now, much more relaxed.
    Ramps in at 3 yeeeee baby

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    It's something that I would love to see, but something that I fear would end in crushing dissapointment.

Up there with my Yorkshire Ripper jokes is that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Yes, but you have to find them. In terms of FC record there are plenty of players like Collingwood, but he still does a decent job at Test level.

It's also beyond me why people keep mentioning Ramprakash - yet another weak-minded Test failure.
    Agreed actually. I can sort of see the argument for Trescothick maing a one-off appearance, but Ramps was never one to cope with pressure. Also - and here's really clutching at staws - Tres does have some previous and producing a match-winning innings at the Oval after the side have produced an absolute horror show at Leeds. Desperate time and all that, I suppose Cook would drop to number 3.

I think it's a pretty damning indictment of our system and talent it produces that we can seriously toss Ramps's name into the ring, but as a one-off throw of the dice I can see its merits. He's an experienced player who knows the venue like the back of his hand and has been in a typically voracious run-hungry mood once again this season. &, for all the talk of his "mental weakness", he actually averages over 42 versus Oz which I imagine compares pretty favourably with the current team. We're also not potentially chucking a younger batsman in for a debut in a crunch game & maybe setting him back if he fails.

If Tres was minded to come back as a one off I'd have him in a flash too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think it's a pretty damning indictment of our system and talent it produces that we can seriously toss Ramps's name into the ring, but as a one-off throw of the dice I can see its merits. He's an experienced player who knows the venue like the back of his hand and has been in a typically voracious run-hungry mood once again this season. &, for all the talk of his "mental weakness", he actually averages over 42 versus Oz which I imagine compares pretty favourably with the current team. We're also not potentially chucking a younger batsman in for a debut in a crunch game & maybe setting him back if he fails.

Yeah I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts as well to be honest, it's a dire situation, and it's very poor show that it's ended up like this. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and there is no point thinking of the future further than the next match at this moment in time, therefore selection should not be based on anything other than who can do a job in the next match, never mind next series. And with this criteria in mind, I honestly think Ramprakash would be one of the top men for the job.

All points well made, and don't start me on our domestic system. Perhaps in a separate thread. If nothing else, bringing back Ramps would reduce the number of links from current test players to the first ever 'test match' to something unfeasibly small again (Ramps/Viv/ Close/etc), which might take my mind of the likely carnage at the Oval.

Incidentally, who else would you bring in given that Bell & Bopara look like gonners?
    Last edited by wpdavid; 09-08-2009 at 01:56 PM.

If any of our selectors are thinking about the future (ie past this Test) when making their decisions, they should be instantly fired.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

As an aside, the Aus selection will be interesting. Not many sides go into a test at the Oval without a spinner, so which of this test's attack would miss out?

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    As an aside, the Aus selection will be interesting. Not many sides go into a test at the Oval without a spinner, so which of this test's attack would miss out?
    Would have to be Clark, I suppose. As harsh as that would be. Didn't do too much wrong, but Swann and Broad were rather rough in their handling of him this morning and all the others took wickets.

I'd personally leave him in the side, and let the spin be handled by a Clarke/Katich/North combination. I don't think Hauritz would be of great enough benefit to really justify his inclusion. Best not to tamper with a winning formula, even if the pitch does offer a bit for spin. However, as an England fan, I very much hope he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Incidentally, who else would you bring in given that Bell & Bopara look like gonners?
    If Chairman Brumby was given selectorial carte blanche my XI would be:

Strauss*
    Trescothick
    Cook
    Ramprakash
    Collingwood
    Prior+
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Sidebottom
    Onions

Assuming Flintoff's & Sidearse's fitness, obv. Harsh on Jimmy, but doesn't look fit and not convinced The old gasworks is his type of venue. Not necessarily Sid's either, but if he is fit I can't see him going missing like Anderson did today.

Strauss*
    Trescothick
    Cook
    Ramprakash
    Collingwood
    Prior+
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Sidebottom
    Onions

Assuming Flintoff's & Sidearse's fitness, obv. Harsh on Jimmy, but doesn't look fit and not convinced The old gasworks is his type of venue. Not necessarily Sid's either, but if he is fit I can't see him going missing like Anderson did today.
    And if Tres is still unavailable?

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar

Strauss*
    Trescothick
    Cook
    Ramprakash
    Collingwood
    Prior+
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Sidebottom
    Onions

I think if Trescothick has retired due to a mental illness, it would be pretty irresponsible of our selectors to push him into playing. Wonderful though it would be if we saw the 'old Tres' out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    If any of our selectors are thinking about the future (ie past this Test) when making their decisions, they should be instantly fired.
    100% awta. This is the central truth, although sadly it may pass our dear selectors by.

Page 5 of 198 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information