Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    This will sound a bit stupid, but part of the reason I haven't been slating Cook so far is he hasn't been scoring 50s, bar one. Normally what irks me about him is his failure to convert, so as such I've barely noticed him.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I think Cook and Strauss form a very potent opening combo, and in the absence of KP, England depend heavily on these two to give them a solid start, Cook obviously has some technical issues, but he is by far the best man to open the batting with Strauss.

Then again I raised this point in the 4th test thread, and I say it again, England now aren't really in a position to chop and change much, the likes of Bopara and Bell are heavy run scorers in the CC, and if they fairing so miserably, what are the chances of someone else coming in and doing well.

The fact that the English selectors went back to Bell, despite seeing how awfully he fared during his previous few test matches, kind of indicates the lack of better options.

I have a gut feeling that England aren't going to drop either Bopara or Bell for the 5th test, and the only change could be, Freddie coming in for Harmison.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    I have a gut feeling that England aren't going to drop either Bopara or Bell for the 5th test, and the only change could be, Freddie coming in for Harmison.
    Surely Bopara won't keep his spot for the final test. He has been found out as bad as Yuvraj "unless it's Pakistan, I won't try" Singh was against us a few years ago. His body language and the limp shots he has got out on, show that even he knows he is dead man walking. Your number 3 should be your best batsman and Bopara definitely isn't your best batsman. Unless KP is miraculously fit to play, then Key, Joyce or Trott should replace Bopara.

Or how about you bring back Vaughan and Tresco from retirement and we bring back Warnie? That would be epic viewing
    Bring back Boof!

Banned
    Strauss
    Cook
    Ramprakash
    Collingwood
    Trott
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Sidebottom
    Onions

This is the squad I'd like to see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jackster83 View Post
    Or how about you bring back Vaughan and Tresco from retirement and we bring back Warnie? That would be epic one-sided murder.
    Corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Then again I raised this point in the 4th test thread, and I say it again, England now aren't really in a position to chop and change much, the likes of Bopara and Bell are heavy run scorers in the CC, and if they fairing so miserably, what are the chances of someone else coming in and doing well.
    Those two fail because they're mentally soft as ****e. If England can find someone decent with a strong mind they'll do far better than those two.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Those two fail because they're mentally soft as ****e. If England can find someone decent with a strong mind they'll do far better than those two.
    But does there exist such a species as "Strongwilled and able English batsmen" nowadays? The last one played his last test match eons ago and is confined to booking 100 after 100 for Surrey.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    One good thing for us is that we usually put in our best performances after having been utter crap the match before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    But does there exist such a species as "Strongwilled and able English batsmen" nowadays? The last one played his last test match eons ago and is confined to booking 100 after 100 for Surrey.
    Yes, but you have to find them. In terms of FC record there are plenty of players like Collingwood, but he still does a decent job at Test level.

It's also beyond me why people keep mentioning Ramprakash - yet another weak-minded Test failure.

Banned
    Yes, but you have to find them. In terms of FC record there are plenty of players like Collingwood, but he still does a decent job at Test level.

It's also beyond me why people keep mentioning Ramprakash - yet another weak-minded Test failure.
    Ramp actually peaked after being dropped from tests. I am damn sure given the quality of pitches post 2001, he'd have made a killing on the form that he was in.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    One good thing for us is that we usually put in our best performances after having been utter crap the match before.
    I get the distinct impression that you've spent the whole of the last six hours looking for crumbs of comfort.............good find though.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    There are precedents for selections like Ramps - although in his case it's even more blindingly obvious than any in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    Ramp actually peaked after being dropped from tests. I am damn sure given the quality of pitches post 2001, he'd have made a killing on the form that he was in.
    Ramprakash is still mentally weak, it doesn't matter about form and how much he can cash in against county bowlers when the pressure is off. Stick him in a pressure situation he will still massively underperform. Whether it's the 1990s or last week. He fell apart just trying to get his 100th hundred. That's why Bell should never have been recalled. The mental weakness doesn't just go away. Bell can score as many runs for Warwickshire as he likes, he'll still fail for England when it counts. Unfortunately the England selectors don't have the guts to put a line under his international career for the foreseeable future. Bell is the new Ramprakash, neither should be anywhere near the side.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 09-08-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    There are precedents for selections like Ramps - although in his case it's even more blindingly obvious than any in the past
    Given that Mark Butcher apparently laughed and said Ramprakash would 'never get through the match' on TMS, it doesn't sound like a brilliant idea to bring him back.

Anyway, Trott's got as good a record as Ramprakash this season, and he hasn't been feasting on Division 2 rubbish bowling.

Banned
    Ramprakash is still mentally weak, it doesn't matter about form and how much he can cash in against county bowlers when the pressure is off. Stick him in a pressure situation he will still massively underperform. Whether it's the 1990s or last week. He fell apart just trying to get his 100th hundred. That's why Bell should never have been recalled. The mental weakness doesn't just go away. Bell can score as many runs for Warwickshire as he likes, he'll still fail for England when it counts. Unfortunately the England selectors don't have the guts to put a line under his international career for the foreseeable future. Bell is the new Ramprakash, neither should be anywhere near the side.
    I am not suggesting Mark is the messiah. But given the state England is in, and the series is in, he is a better gamble than anyone.

Off topic slightly, I absolutely loved this moment.

Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread Information