• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
They can hardly be blamed for that though, if I were them I would keep on playing as long as I was able to do a decent job to the standard required, and they unquestionably can.
Thats the problem. Caddick has been past his test best since 2001, even when he took 7 vs AUS in his last test he was passed it. So when i look a FC stats since 03 & see this old man being amongst the leading wicket takers, thats a supreme WTF moment.

Plus you got aussies in Law & Langer who back in AUS their states are finished with them, they still doing well over here. Its all rubbish.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That the standard of bowling in the CC is poor is hardly suprising when you look at the ridiculous scheduling of English domestic cricket.
Just Pro 40 needs to go. For me, it all comes down to how players are brought up from a young age. Blokes like Bell, Cook & Northeast (current youngster) in age group cricket, would be a coaches dream & they would plunder runs. You try to be a Freddie or a KP in nets coaches discriminate. Their is no flare in youth cricket like what IND, PAK or WI have.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, Pizzorno the CW find of these Ashes to date. No way to comment on
something like this without sounding patronizing.
Yeah, his posts have been refreshing and funny both at the same time, hope he continues posting even after the Ashes, as he is definitely a very good addition to CW.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saw a funny interview with Stuart Clark the other day (or snippets of it).

He was asked if there was anyone he wouldn't like to see walk out at number 3 for England and he said, "Ahhh, I don't know. Probably W.G.Grace". Then they asked him about him being selected and he said, "I'm not sure, I don't want to spend too much time worrying about it or I might not eat as much dinner".

Seems to be a bit of a character.

Son Of Coco

Just joined in with a few people posting comments on Tim Neilsen's blog re: Clark. Seems Neilsen saw fit to give individual mentions to all and sundry for their efforts in the Headingly test but Clark escaped a mention. Apparently a burst of 3/6 before lunch on the first day played no part in the win. It could have been an oversight, but it's a strange one.

Clark's obviously flying under the radar with the selectors. I wonder what the reason is.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Been away just got back in town, have seen that england have picked another saffer, this is just getting silly. Can't believe that Australia are going to pick Hauritz over Clark, definite draw IMO.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Just Pro 40 needs to go. For me, it all comes down to how players are brought up from a young age. Blokes like Bell, Cook & Northeast (current youngster) in age group cricket, would be a coaches dream & they would plunder runs. You try to be a Freddie or a KP in nets coaches discriminate. Their is no flare in youth cricket like what IND, PAK or WI have.
I sort of agree, English players from a young age rarely have a lot of confidence in their own ability, those that do are often plundering runs against kids their own age when they should really be testing themselves against men, very few carry that confidence forward.

stephen

Well I have to say I would not like to be an Aus selector right now. To be brutally honest Siddle and Hilfenhaus should make way for Lee and Clark, but that's grossly unfair on Hilfy. Hauritz needs to play and so does Johnson.

Probably will end up with Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy and Hauritz in the end.

pup11

International Coach
Well I have to say I would not like to be an Aus selector right now. To be brutally honest Siddle and Hilfenhaus should make way for Lee and Clark, but that's grossly unfair on Hilfy. Hauritz needs to play and so does Johnson.

Probably will end up with Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy and Hauritz in the end.
No way, it won't be grossly unfair on Hilfy, it would be utter madness to even think that he should be dropped, has arguably been the most consistent bowler on show so far in this series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tbh, I just dont see the selectors picking Ramps. Almost everytime I've thought, well that would be a good move, the selectors have almost always done the opposite. I expect Bell and Trott to be picked. Bell's selection will be explained away with 'we need his experience and his 50 at Edgbaston and runs in CC show that he is in good form' while Trott's will be explained with 'he was next in line'.
What a surprise really. When it comes to England's selections its not too hard to predict which wrong decision they are likely to make these days.

Son Of Coco

No way, it won't be grossly unfair on Hilfy, it would be utter madness to even think that he should be dropped, has arguably been the most consistent bowler on show so far in this series.
Yeah it'd be absolutely crazy to drop Hilfenhaus.

tooextracool

International Coach
Everyone seems to have overlooked the most alarming part, which said that with Flintoff returning, Onions was the most likely pacer to step down. Surely that's a mistake? If Harmison plays ahead of him, I'm going to go ****ing mental.
Harmison won't play. When was the last time he was allowed 2 bad tests in a row? We all know Andy Flower doesn't like him either and there will be steps taken to leave him out, especially with the apparent 'like for like' bowler in Flintoff returning. The bigger worry here is that Onions will be dropped for Panesar if they think the pitch might turn.

tooextracool

International Coach
Matt Prior has been batting well at SIX in this series hasn't he z?
Prior has done well if you count him as a wicket-keeper batsman. But if you isolate his performance purely as a batsman its hardly anything special given his highest score is 61 and hes failed despite ample opportunities to score a century. Saying that, he was the only one who seemed to know how to bat at Headingley.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Prior has done well if you count him as a wicket-keeper batsman. But if you isolate his performance purely as a batsman its hardly anything special given his highest score is 61 and hes failed despite ample opportunities to score a century. Saying that, he was the only one who seemed to know how to bat at Headingley.
yup averaging 30 odd with the bat is decent for a keeper batsman these days, but not really good enough for a number 6.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting saying reverse swing could play a part at the Oval... does that mean the Aussies are thinking of Lee?